Christmas kindness

Are you doing anything charitable this Christmas or in the run up? Its a tricky time of year for many people, loneliness, homelessness, amongst others.

It would be good to hear how HUKDERS are helping others, perhaps inspiring others.

29 Comments

Shoebox appeal

Don't forget a nice little present for your lonely, elderly friend or neighbour

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/LGS624/Emoticons/naughty.gif

Letting the mother-in-law in for Christmas Day.

marcb4617

Shoebox appeal

We do the shoe box appeal also

My wife organises a collection for jigsaws, wool and knitting paraphernalia, books, perfume, cotton handkerchiefs, and other stuff for the elderly in a care home. Some have no relatives and some have relatives who only visit sporadically due to distance etc.

Staff do their best for the elderly but they cannot afford out of their appallingly low wages, treats and gifts, although many do.

After Christmas my wife also collects unwanted smellies as they can be distributed to the elderly throughout the year as birthday presents.

One of the local schools opens up on Christmas day and does Christmas dinner for anyone who would otherwise be alone. There was a good turn out last year including volunteers, hoping the same for this year

Donate 2% of November profits to local animal shelter

My daughters club is doing an appeal for toys, food, warm clothes that we will give to homeless shelters.

I hadn't even considered it with the mad rush to get everything else sorted.
Any recommendations?

If you are buying a new winter coat, most homeless centres will accept you old one as winter warmth coats are essential for the homeless.

I might take a day off from being a miserable cynical old git.

Randomly pay for an old persons shopping at asda

Shoe boxes for Benjamin foundation, a local charity and a bake sale for Break, another local charity. I like the collection your wife does, Mark. Great idea
Some old people living alone would really appreciate a visit and a small gift like a box of biscuits. Loneliness is a terrible thing
We visit a neighbour who's on his own and do his bins and bits of shopping all year round. We have a "works" Christmas dinner in Saintsbury's cafe each year with him X)

SidSnot

I might take a day off from being a miserable cynical old git.

​why?
its the best time of year to be a miserable git..
bah humbug

Mark2111

My wife organises a collection for jigsaws, wool and knitting … My wife organises a collection for jigsaws, wool and knitting paraphernalia, books, perfume, cotton handkerchiefs, and other stuff for the elderly in a care home. Some have no relatives and some have relatives who only visit sporadically due to distance etc.Staff do their best for the elderly but they cannot afford out of their appallingly low wages, treats and gifts, although many do.After Christmas my wife also collects unwanted smellies as they can be distributed to the elderly throughout the year as birthday presents.

Give your wife a hug and a thank you from me

raptorcigs

Randomly pay for an old persons shopping at asda

only if they have 2 packets or less of worther's originals oO

normally do kids toys appeal and this year will be doing a food shop for local food bank

Have big bag of stuff for food bank . Still considering other options .

I try and do a random act of kindness every day.

For many years I have made up hampers for ppl I know, and put in some treats that they may not be able to afford, I make sure I tip the ppl who have given good service in the past year, for the last 5 years I have also given to the food bank.

I really hate Christmas now I find it so difficult to cope with, I always attend midnight mass but thats it now, for the last 3 years have not bothered with any decorations, I tell ppl I am going away

miles136

I try and do a random act of kindness every day.For many years I have … I try and do a random act of kindness every day.For many years I have made up hampers for ppl I know, and put in some treats that they may not be able to afford, I make sure I tip the ppl who have given good service in the past year, for the last 5 years I have also given to the food bank.I really hate Christmas now I find it so difficult to cope with, I always attend midnight mass but thats it now, for the last 3 years have not bothered with any decorations, I tell ppl I am going away

I know you find Christmas hard, miles. Will be thinking of you. If you were closer you could come to mine

We are doing food boxes for the local food bank as well as volunteering on Christmas day for the community Christmas lunch that they are organising.

looking after my family

Original Poster

benjammin316

looking after my family

something special?

davewave

something special?

Hopefully!

Banned

Bah Humbug

Original Poster

benjammin316

Hopefully!

ah thats really interesting, tell us more.

I'm thinking of either stoning or trying to get stoned a few Christians; whichever is better for their Soul.
Peace and love to all obviously including turkeys so a veggie Christmas for me.

Mark2111

My wife organises a collection for jigsaws, wool and knitting … My wife organises a collection for jigsaws, wool and knitting paraphernalia, books, perfume, cotton handkerchiefs, and other stuff for the elderly in a care home. Some have no relatives and some have relatives who only visit sporadically due to distance etc.Staff do their best for the elderly but they cannot afford out of their appallingly low wages, treats and gifts, although many do.After Christmas my wife also collects unwanted smellies as they can be distributed to the elderly throughout the year as birthday presents.

I'm going to try do this as i think its a lovely idea... any tips? Thanks

Agharta

I'm thinking of either stoning or trying to get stoned a few Christians; … I'm thinking of either stoning or trying to get stoned a few Christians; whichever is better for their Soul.Peace and love to all obviously including turkeys so a veggie Christmas for me.

Christians don't stone people, wrong religion X)
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Fanta Snapcode for Filters and Lenses11
    2. What would be HELL to you?1920
    3. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 188 ***620
    4. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…1014

See more discussions