Christmas Market Suggestions

Posted 23rd May
Hi everyone!

Looking at taking the Mrs to a Christmas Market in the UK towards the end of the year, obviously.

Of course, that depends on if we are allowed out by then and how the restrictions are but I would love your suggestions as to the best Christmas markets?

I live in Hertfordshire if that helps and am looking to make a weekend of it.

Cheers all... Stay safe!
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
Winchester is quite good around the cathedral area with many different types of stuff on sale.

Exeter is also ok, Plymouth’s is poor (and I’m sort of local).

They’re all much of a muchness with overpriced bratwurst and burgers.

Much better to go abroad for a weekend to one of the true German ones, you’ll never go to a UK one again after seeing one of theirs.
Edited by: "ArcadeAssassin" 23rd May
Assuming you can’t travel out of the UK (for personal or COVID reasons) I would agree that Winchester’s is good around the cathedral, but quite small.

If you’re looking for a weekend away and don’t mind travelling a little, take a look at Bath’s Christmas market. It’s a lot bigger, fills the whole city and there’s lots else to see and do. You can also get the train in to Bristol that has a smaller market for just a few £s.
Winchester must be small if Bath Market is considered big. I go to Bath Market every 2 years and wouldn't call it big, a bit sprawling but not big and quite repetitive but I suppose most are.
Well my two bits....Don't do Belfast...nor Dublin (yes- not UK but still), both terrible.
Birmingham Christmas is worth a visit followed by some drinks around the city,you'll have s great time and Brummies are nice people.
Thanks everyone! Much appreciated! 🏻
Manchester Christmas markets
I have been to Bristol’s over the years & seen it go downhill.. would not recommend. Depends on your personal preferences I guess .. maybe a novelty for those who’ve not been often. Why is no one asking what the heck you’re doing talking about Christmas markets in May amidst a global pandemic
Harry_Felton23/05/2020 23:42

Assuming you can’t travel out of the UK (for personal or COVID reasons) I w …Assuming you can’t travel out of the UK (for personal or COVID reasons) I would agree that Winchester’s is good around the cathedral, but quite small. If you’re looking for a weekend away and don’t mind travelling a little, take a look at Bath’s Christmas market. It’s a lot bigger, fills the whole city and there’s lots else to see and do. You can also get the train in to Bristol that has a smaller market for just a few £s.

Went to baths last year. Huge let down and my partner who lives local and been before said it was nothing like normal. A handful of scattered stalls down each street. A couple of food ones and a couple of knicknacks and no lights in the streets. First ones I'd been to in years was such a shame.
Some have cancelled their markets. Bury St Edmunds which has been voted one of the best cancelled theirs. You will find mass gatherings might still be limited or cancelled as a result of covid.
Bury St Edmunds has a good one , we go every year , but as the poster above says they have already cancelled this years and I suspect a lot of the big ones will follow. The planning and money spent at this stage is just too much of an expense when no ones knows if it will all be wasted if it can’t go ahead . For context though Bury St E sees about 130,000 visitors to theirs , so maybe smaller ones will be able to carry on . Been disappointed by the London Christmas stalls in recent years around Southbank , Tate etc , but to be fair they are just stalls rather than a proper market .
Edinburgh has a great Christmas market
JumpMan198024/05/2020 06:41

I have been to Bristol’s over the years & seen it go downhill.. would not r …I have been to Bristol’s over the years & seen it go downhill.. would not recommend. Depends on your personal preferences I guess .. maybe a novelty for those who’ve not been often. Why is no one asking what the heck you’re doing talking about Christmas markets in May amidst a global pandemic

Well, everyone loves Christmas, right?
Frenchmeister24/05/2020 13:47

It's nice to have smething nice to look forward to.
By the way, Bath market maybe just ok but the city is lovely as is the ice rink over chrismas time.
Frenchmeister24/05/2020 13:47

Just gotta hope lockdown still in force so I can avoid the family on the big day
If you’ve not already been then consider Winter Wonderland at Hyde Park, plus there’s so much stuff to do in London you’d easily make a full weekend/trip out of it and it’s not too far from you. The rides are good fun and there’s plenty of bars (one that spins around - even better when you’ve had a few to drink!) and food stalls but being London it is on the expensive side so not so good if you’re on a budget. If you end up in London and don’t fancy the hustle and bustle of Hyde Park then Leicester Square also has a cute little Christmas set up every year, plus it’s by M&M’s World and Lego Store that has a massive Big Ben and underground carriage that you can sit in made from Lego bricks. There’s an outdoor ice rink by the National History Museum and carol concerts are put on in Trafalgar Square too.

If it’s just a Christmas market you want though then Birmingham is the best I’ve been to, it’s massive with a big variety of stalls and there’s plenty of little igloo type tents that you can get a drink or bite to eat in, as well as stalls. Last year there was a pop up bar at the bottom end called “Once Upon A Christmas” (used to be Jamie’s Italian). Not sure if it’ll be there this year but worth looking into as it’s full of fairy lights and very Christmassy (only plays carols and serves Christmas inspired cocktails). At the top end of the German Market there’s also an ice rink, Ferris wheel etc. Mailbox or Brindley Place are nice for food and drinks if you can stomach any more once you’re done. If you’re driving then you could make an extra stop at Warwick Castle if you want to make it a little more romantic, it’s decorated for Christmas and also has an outdoor ice rink.

York is a beautiful city but I thought the Christmas market was disappointing, it could be an option for you to look into though as there is also much more to see there and it’s more romantic than London or Birmingham, though not sure you want to travel that far up north.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions