Christmas present ideas for toddler, also your view on my choice?

Found 13th Dec 2016
I was just thinking to get one of those massive teddy bears for a wild 4 year old boy. Is this a good choice or will he be bored very quick with it? I was hoping he might cuddle or wrestle a bit with it.
On the other side, what would you get a four year old? Do kids prefer playmobil over lego?

22 Comments

I don't think the teddy bear would keep him entertained long, my boy's 3 and though he likes to cuddle stuff he gets bored of them pretty quickly. We have mainly duplo for him, and he seem to find that entertaining enough, builds something then destroys it depending on your budget, the entertainer is doing a box of duplo for about £20 though not sure if that's the best deal around

big remote control car

I was just thinking to get one of those massive teddy bears for a … I was just thinking to get one of those massive teddy bears for a wild 4 year old boy. Is this a good choice or will he be bored very quick with it? I was hoping he might cuddle or wrestle a bit with it.On the other side, what would you get a four year old? Do kids prefer playmobil over lego?

My 4 year old is also very lively but I think that he would get bored very quickly with a massive teddy. My little one is into Disney Planes at the moment and Hot Wheels, but also really taken with the free Lego toys that came with the Daily Mail. The massive teddy is a nice idea though.

My 4 year old loves playing games at the moment. Playmobil is good too, or anything to do with cars!

My 4 yr old wouldn't be interested in the big teddy after 10 mins of having it. He's into cars, playmobil, lego and superheroes. Something they can have endless hrs of fun would be much better. My son is always making stuff out of duplo with my 2 yr old and showing it off to me

andyb83

I don't think you should be asking for parental advice on here! Surely … I don't think you should be asking for parental advice on here! Surely you know your child better than anyone else?!

​nobody is born a perfect parent!
it's the advice and knowledge we gain from others that helps so I agree she will know her own child better then all of us she will also gain valuable advice from other parents who have children of a similar age

cuddly toys r always a big hit in my house, like build a bear. its fun to choose which one, and to make it personal and as they are not mahoosive they can be carried about x we do love to play with playmobil and lego as well.

Maybe junior lego?? Mine have all liked this. My 4 yo is getting silly sausage for Christmas, a fire tablet and street dog bumper amongst other things x

My little boy is 6 and has asked over and over for a giant teddy. He also loves playmobil and lego. I prefer playmobil myself as less bits and stays together.

I have a wild 3 and a half year old and he loves his giant teddy to jump on, however that lasts about five to ten minutes. Best go with something they can role play with. Cars lego etc. The remote control car was a good idea too!

andyb83

I don't think you should be asking for parental advice on here! Surely … I don't think you should be asking for parental advice on here! Surely you know your child better than anyone else?!

​I don't think the op is the parent of the little boy, she is asking advice from other parents which is my take on the question asked. I am quite sure most parents know exactly what toys their own 4 year old would want for Christmas.

OP didn't say it was their child! For me, a giant teddy would really annoy me. Just a big gatherer of dust that will have to move around for cleaning, I think Lego or play mobile is an excellent choice but it would depend on the child's ability to build lego. Another good option would be the aqua doodles, mine have hours of fun on theirs.

This thread has just reminded me of a favourite toy from my child hood. Stickle bricks! Whatever happened to them?

Got my very, very active 2.5 yr old an electric motorbike to use in the house, got mine for £26. My 6yr old loved hers and still uses it.

what about the imaginext stuff. my kids love it and they are 4 and 8. they love playmobil too.only downside is putting it together. x

LillyM

I don't think the teddy bear would keep him entertained long, my boy's 3 … I don't think the teddy bear would keep him entertained long, my boy's 3 and though he likes to cuddle stuff he gets bored of them pretty quickly. We have mainly duplo for him, and he seem to find that entertaining enough, builds something then destroys it depending on your budget, the entertainer is doing a box of duplo for about £20 though not sure if that's the best deal around

Playmobil pirate ship£20 morrisons b perfect, got two four year old grandsons

The big teddy is the gift you dread receiving for your child. They don't play with them and just take up room and gather dust until you give it away. My son loved playing with a toy kitchen and action toys. My daughter wasn't interested in most toys.

If the 4 year old you're buying for isn't yours, his parents won't thank you! Also agree with others here that he'll soon be bored of it. Duplo is a good bet or if he's good at Lego you can get Lego juniors which is the smaller classic Lego but with better instructions, out nearly 4 year old loves the stuff.

andyb83

Asking for opinions on what toys to buy isn't parental advice, it's a question about a child's interest. Parental advice comes down to how to soothe a baby. If you don't have a helpful answer why bother replying to the thread? Pointless, negative post

My daughter is 4 and loves play doh can spend ages with it. my nephew who is super active enjoys likes playing with it too. hope that helps

vicstar115

Asking for opinions on what toys to buy isn't parental advice, it's a … Asking for opinions on what toys to buy isn't parental advice, it's a question about a child's interest. Parental advice comes down to how to soothe a baby. If you don't have a helpful answer why bother replying to the thread? Pointless, negative post

​Surely "parental advice" covers any topic related to parenting not just soothing a baby. Is soothing a baby the only thing a parent does?

I have a 5 yr old boy and 6 yr old girl. Neither interested, and have never been, in teddy bears. To us it would be a big waste of money. It would really annoy me too - it would get in the way, gather dust and just get put in a corner.

Mine do not know what playmobil is.... neither do I really.... but we love Lego!

For my son, who has just turned 5, of all the toys he has his favourite is a roadmap rug and his cars - he would happily sit for hours pushing his cars round the tracks ..... like this classroomcarpets.com/det…e=1

Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your advice. I think I will get him some of the mentioned playmobil or Lego!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition69767
    2. Win a villa holiday for two in Portugal with Four Seasons Fairways @ Sunday…66
    3. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines54
    4. Win 1 of 30 Gin Festival, Eastbourne Pairs of Tickets (Value £30 per pair)11

See more discussions