Christmas presents - Charity shop bargains!!

Found 15th Dec 2017
This isn’t really a deal as such but it’s made a big difference for me in the past and for anyone with young kids I highly recommend it.

As anyone with kids knows, Christmas can be expensive and presents can quickly lose their appeal.

Rather than spend £20+ on some shiny new toy I’ve found many charity shops have great toys and games for closer to £1 which the kids have been more than happy with. Many of them are new as well!

It could save you a lot of cash or give them a lot more things to open so I highly recommend having a look - and it’s all for a good cause
Community Updates
12 Comments
I do this too - also great for books DVDs clothes - you can get some great bargains
I got some great tops for my teenage daughter from the charity shop as additional presents to open. They were like River Island and similar brands but all £2-3 each. Exactly what she’ll like and she won’t look at whether there’s a tag is on it or not
have done with books as they end up back there soon anyway . not paying 5 or 10 pounds for a book, just not worth it after one read its done with
Completely agree with you op, bought many brand new with tags items in the past from charity shops, the trouble is there is still a stigma about buying from them.
People used to sell quality used items on eBay, but now with their exorbitant fees and postage costs it's not a viable option anymore especially on clothing and I think more and more people are just giving stuff to charity shops now.
Fantastic advice. I too love a trawl around the shops in my town and have picked up many bargains. Especially new movies that are still in the major retailers at £10+ for a quid. Picked up "Fantastic Beasts" t'other day - still wrapped for £1. Plus; as you say; you do feel like you are helping a worthy cause in the process. Yes, I know a lot of the money goes on admin/marketing/wages etc. but I'd like to think some of it goes towards helping those in need.

The only thing I will say (and it would be interesting to hear others thoughts) is that there seems to be a growing trend in the general 'greed' if you will, of charity shops. A lot seem to be asking much, much more money (than they used to) for things now. Especially clothing. I see a lot of things that I know could be had; brand new; for cheaper from a non-charitable retailer. Some things even silly-money which I have been known to comment on as they clearly don't know the true value. It does make me chuckle when an obvious Poundland item is marked up for a few pounds more! Of course, it's up to them but I genuinely believe they appreciate the advice - delivered in a light-hearted way, obviously.

I guess the obvious answer is: inflation. It affects ALL of us, eh?

Regards, Phsy.
Brilliant for stocking fillers....as Santa probably doesn't make Packaging does he?
i stumbled across a nice tassimo machine for 2.50 at charity shop, all missing was service disk
wife picked up a pucci vinatage handbag worth about £700 in a charity shop fo £15 few years back
Edited by: "Infractionboi" 15th Dec 2017
Original Poster
Phsycronix7 h, 0 m ago

Fantastic advice. I too love a trawl around the shops in my town and have …Fantastic advice. I too love a trawl around the shops in my town and have picked up many bargains. Especially new movies that are still in the major retailers at £10+ for a quid. Picked up "Fantastic Beasts" t'other day - still wrapped for £1. Plus; as you say; you do feel like you are helping a worthy cause in the process. Yes, I know a lot of the money goes on admin/marketing/wages etc. but I'd like to think some of it goes towards helping those in need.The only thing I will say (and it would be interesting to hear others thoughts) is that there seems to be a growing trend in the general 'greed' if you will, of charity shops. A lot seem to be asking much, much more money (than they used to) for things now. Especially clothing. I see a lot of things that I know could be had; brand new; for cheaper from a non-charitable retailer. Some things even silly-money which I have been known to comment on as they clearly don't know the true value. It does make me chuckle when an obvious Poundland item is marked up for a few pounds more! Of course, it's up to them but I genuinely believe they appreciate the advice - delivered in a light-hearted way, obviously.I guess the obvious answer is: inflation. It affects ALL of us, eh?Regards, Phsy.

I noticed this last week when I saw a couple of power ranger figures for £20 each in a local shop! In fairness the staff member claimed a colleague had seen them online for £120 but then I saw them yesterday for £50-60 in Toys r us, obviously new and I don’t think that was a sale price.
They obviously have good intentions but I dare say if I pointed it out to them now they’d probably lower the price..
@Phsycronix (couldn't you find an easier username to spell!)
i agree with you regarding pricing. Saw a well worn man's gilet jacket from matalan priced up at £25 the other day, when I queried it I was told that the manager prices up the items, not the volunteers. The charity shop managers all have weekly targets to meet and that's why the pricing has increased and items sit there week after week unsold.
personally I think charity shops are a two way street. You donate and they price on the lower side, you then buy (thinking you got a bargain) and they get the money in quickly. Ibelieve that any manager high balling prices is doing a disservice to their charity by not getting money in (however small) and letting the stock pile up unsold.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 15th Dec 2017
I agree with the pricing too! It just goes to show it isn't in your local shops. I find the British Heart Foundation in my town to be the absolute worst, I point blank refuse to pay a fiver for a childs top from Asda. My favourite one is one that supports the Hospital, they have new things flying in daily because they are so cheap and popular they have a constant flow, if I can grab a pair of Next or River Island jeans for my kids for a quid a pair, I'm going to have them! I love having a good rummage, as do my kids, most probably because it's the only shop they know I'll most likely say yes when they pick up a decent toy for cheap, whats more is, when I'm clearing out their toys they don't mind donating them
If you like charity shops and try to get bits for cheap as possible I suggest you avoid Chester center. Very expensive now only the other day a pair of ladies MTB's well used £80 with a excuse for the high price written on the label that they cost £220 when new. Most if not all charity shops now check ebay as they see customers coming in to see if they can nab a bargain and resell it on ebay so they think well if thats the case either out price them or play the same game but then it stays in the shop for ages as they look at the current highest sale price not what it sold for. However depending on where you go and when there are still bargains to be had but not as many as there used to be.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions