Groups

Christmas pressy for my little lady.(p.s.should I cancel order and get something else? this just occured to me.)

Hello once more.

been lookin for a laptop for my other half for various uses and I may dabble myself on occasion.

amazon.co.uk/Com…8-6

tryin not to break the bank while gettin some performance

any thoughts much appreciated.

17 Comments

I'm no mega sure on all the spec, but from what I can remember Sempron is carp....

I reckon this one is decent, but again no expert, but I myself have an Advent and love it.

]http//ww…912

Original Poster

AshleyRFC;3708644

I'm no mega sure on all the spec, but from what I can remember Sempron is … I'm no mega sure on all the spec, but from what I can remember Sempron is carp....I reckon this one is decent, but again no expert, but I myself have an Advent and love it.]http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/808912

small problem though- relyin on amazon tokens, bonus from work.

pretty limitin though.

Cheers for the advice though

:thumbsup:

ludichris;3708720

small problem though- relyin on amazon tokens, bonus from work.pretty … small problem though- relyin on amazon tokens, bonus from work.pretty limitin though.Cheers for the advice though:thumbsup:

Ahhh ya didnt say that, I'll have a nosy about amazon then.

Original Poster

AshleyRFC;3708730

Ahhh ya didnt say that, I'll have a nosy about amazon then.

thanks for that.

I hope she doesnt read this!!!!

lol ask admin to delete then and I'll Pm ya lol..

Did ya see this one...

]http//ww…mtd

Original Poster

AshleyRFC;3708767

lol ask admin to delete then and I'll Pm ya lol..Did ya see this … lol ask admin to delete then and I'll Pm ya lol..Did ya see this one...]http://www.amazon.co.uk/eMachines-15-4-inch-Laptop-Intel-Celeron/dp/tech-data/B001G7PI12/ref=de_a_smtd

I did but the compaq review swayed me.

would you say this is better?

ludichris;3708799

I did but the compaq review swayed me.would you say this is better?

Well not necesserily, whilst I personally reckon Sempron is carp, I like AMD, but I've only ever dealt with an AMD Athlon 64 processor and not a Sempron AMD.

But to be honest, if its just for messing about on then I reckon either one will be fine, the compaq one is definetly prettier.

I've had a quick look about amazon and unless your willing to spend about £100 dearer then the 2 are about the best ones I think.

If you had the means to go elsewhere then I would pick the pcworld one, but if you've already ordered the compaq then just go for it.

I'm sure your gf will love it no matter what. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

it has built in webcam etc which she'll like are the specs that bad?

Original Poster

AshleyRFC;3708837

Well not necesserily, whilst I personally reckon Sempron is carp, I like … Well not necesserily, whilst I personally reckon Sempron is carp, I like AMD, but I've only ever dealt with an AMD Athlon 64 processor and not a Sempron AMD.But to be honest, if its just for messing about on then I reckon either one will be fine, the compaq one is definetly prettier.I've had a quick look about amazon and unless your willing to spend about £100 dearer then the 2 are about the best ones I think.If you had the means to go elsewhere then I would pick the pcworld one, but if you've already ordered the compaq then just go for it.I'm sure your gf will love it no matter what. :thumbsup:

Thats what I thaught,

Thanks loads.

rep added!!!

ludichris;3708855

it has built in webcam etc which she'll like are the specs that bad?

Nah not really..

My laptop spec is 2ghz celeron processor, 120gb HD, 1gb Ram, I've had my laptop now for over a year and I've never had a problem with it, infact its been great.

Stick to your original buy.

If all you want to do is a bit of word processing, internet surfing etc and you've already got a desktop PC you intend to keep, you may be better off getting a netbook rather than a laptop. Do a search for netbook on Amazon and you should get 60+ choices.

Netbooks will, I think, be the laptop of the future. For a start, they're infinitely more portable than a laptop in the same price range and they look a lot nicer! They're a bit restricted for business uses, e.g. presentations, and no good for games (but a £300 laptop won't play much in the way of games either). Well worth a look - if you want to see some browse around you local PCWorld, they've usually got a few on display. My daughters prefer the (very basic) Acer One to our HP Laptop!

I would hate a 9" screen so I'll stick to my laptops.

Original Poster

tony_s1;3708905

If all you want to do is a bit of word processing, internet surfing etc … If all you want to do is a bit of word processing, internet surfing etc and you've already got a desktop PC you intend to keep, you may be better off getting a netbook rather than a laptop. Do a search for netbook on Amazon and you should get 60+ choices. Netbooks will, I think, be the laptop of the future. For a start, they're infinitely more portable than a laptop in the same price range and they look a lot nicer! They're a bit restricted for business uses, e.g. presentations, and no good for games (but a £300 laptop won't play much in the way of games either). Well worth a look - if you want to see some browse around you local PCWorld, they've usually got a few on display. My daughters prefer the (very basic) Acer One to our HP Laptop!

She has an old dell netbook and hates it, she wants a built in drive, etc.

I see your point though, I'm probably snaffling it off her after crimbo.

:thumbsup:

AshleyRFC;3708956

I would hate a 9" screen so I'll stick to my laptops.

I've got a 22" widescreen desktop monitor which makes the 15" lappy screen look decidedly small. It's just a question of getting used to them - in comparison, I don't find the 9" Acer screen particularly smaller than the 15" laptop screen.

With a netbook, you trade off a bit of screen size and a CD/DVD drive for something that weighs about a third of a laptop.

tony_s1;3709488

I've got a 22" widescreen desktop monitor which makes the 15" lappy … I've got a 22" widescreen desktop monitor which makes the 15" lappy screen look decidedly small. It's just a question of getting used to them - in comparison, I don't find the 9" Acer screen particularly smaller than the 15" laptop screen. With a netbook, you trade off a bit of screen size and a CD/DVD drive for something that weighs about a third of a laptop.

Yeah I see what your saying and if I carried my laptop about with my lots then the netbook would probably be handy, but I still love my laptop lol.

AshleyRFC;3709828

Yeah I see what your saying and if I carried my laptop about with my lots … Yeah I see what your saying and if I carried my laptop about with my lots then the netbook would probably be handy, but I still love my laptop lol.

Aaah, I suspect you don't have teenage daughters who sometimes need a bit of "privacy" when chatting to their friends - like, disappearing quickly from the room laptop in hand! :roll:

My personal preference is still a desktop - something I can open up and fix when it goes wrong. You need surgical training to work inside a laptop. lol

tony_s1;3710067

Aaah, I suspect you don't have teenage daughters who sometimes need a bit … Aaah, I suspect you don't have teenage daughters who sometimes need a bit of "privacy" when chatting to their friends - like, disappearing quickly from the room laptop in hand! :roll:My personal preference is still a desktop - something I can open up and fix when it goes wrong. You need surgical training to work inside a laptop. lol

Nah no teenage daughters yet even though they behave like it, the oldest is 5 and her sister is 3, also have a 8 month old boy but probably wont have as much bother with him as I will with the girls.

Not looking forward to the teenage years at all lol especially when I think back to what I was like as a teenager.

ARGHHHHH!!!!!!!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a luxury five-star break for two in Paris with Le Bristol Paris and Eur…67
      2. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64545
      3. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1134
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk66

See more discussions