Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Posted 16th Feb 2022
Try the cloud-first, fast, easy-to-manage, and secure Chrome OS for PCs and Macs. Chrome OS Flex is a free and sustainable way to modernize devices you already own. It’s easy to deploy across your fleet or simply try it to see what a cloud-first OS has to offer.

https://chromeenterprise.google/os/chromeosflex/
Community Updates
Misc
New Comment
Top comments
This initiative is specifically for PCs and laptops at the moment. Google bought a educational focused company that was offering a easier to install version of Chrome OS for older computers.

Changing the operating system is much harder on a tablet for numerous reasons such as there is a huge variety of hardware, the risk of it going wrong and permanently breaking a device, plus some manufacturers deliberately make it very hard and lock devices down. It's not impossible though - check out Lineage OS, an open source and light weight version of Android that can used on older 'out of support' devices.
5 Comments
  1. Avatar
    I've been running a variation of this for a few years in a school I work at. We converted the old IT windows PC's to ChromeOS and they worked brilliantly. If you've got an old desktop or laptop around and want your kids to have access to something easy to use, then this is definitely worth a look at.
  2. Avatar
    Author
    Madferrit17/02/2022 12:24

I've been running a variation of this for a few years in a school I work …I've been running a variation of this for a few years in a school I work at. We converted the old IT windows PC's to ChromeOS and they worked brilliantly. If you've got an old desktop or laptop around and want your kids to have access to something easy to use, then this is definitely worth a look at.

that's amazing news. do you know is there any plans for tablets
  3. Avatar
    This initiative is specifically for PCs and laptops at the moment. Google bought a educational focused company that was offering a easier to install version of Chrome OS for older computers.

Changing the operating system is much harder on a tablet for numerous reasons such as there is a huge variety of hardware, the risk of it going wrong and permanently breaking a device, plus some manufacturers deliberately make it very hard and lock devices down. It's not impossible though - check out Lineage OS, an open source and light weight version of Android that can used on older 'out of support' devices.
  4. Avatar
    kevlfc17/02/2022 12:31

that's amazing news. do you know is there any plans for tablets

Not that I've heard. The focus was getting old PC's up and running again, and the Chrome OS was a perfect solution. As a guide, I remember that on these PC's Windows XP would take close to 2 mins to load on each machine.. and with this, it loaded and was ready to use in under 30 seconds. With some additional network addons, we were able to secure the devices as well ensuring they were safe for the school.
  5. Avatar
    Author
    Madferrit17/02/2022 13:46

Not that I've heard. The focus was getting old PC's up and running again, …Not that I've heard. The focus was getting old PC's up and running again, and the Chrome OS was a perfect solution. As a guide, I remember that on these PC's Windows XP would take close to 2 mins to load on each machine.. and with this, it loaded and was ready to use in under 30 seconds. With some additional network addons, we were able to secure the devices as well ensuring they were safe for the school.

thats brilliant that.
Post a comment