Chromebook - decisions, decisions...

Posted 5th Mar
I am looking to get my son a new chromebook. He has one already which is quite old and reaching its expiration date this year. It has to be a chromebook because his school uses google (classroom,docs etc) and we love our current ones.

The budget is £300 and after doing a lot of reading, have decided we would like one that is:

64gb (he uses nothing like that at present but if he has this for the next 5 years, we think more is better)

IPS touchscreen - he doesn't have this at present but general consensus would appear to be that a chromebook without touchscreen is pointless.

Intel processor N4000 at least

We are considering:
currys.co.uk/gbu…tml but only Currys seems to sell this and no reviews available

johnlewis.com/ace…275 seems an older version of the one above but can't be sure. Not sure what difference is really??

Can anyone help share their thoughts - are either of these any good? Is there something better? Don't want to go second hand as want something that has a long expiration date.

Thanks!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

5 Comments
longbowassassin06/03/2020 10:57

This might be useful to …This might be useful to you,https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366?hl=en#

Thanks - I have used that already which is how I have found that a couple of our chromebooks lose support from this June. Strangely, Asus don't seem to last as long as others, like Acer
I’m trying to buy laptops for my children who will be starting secondary school this year. How’s your experience been with the chromebook? Do you feel it lacks in any department?

A lot of what I’ve read seems to suggest getting a full windows 10 laptop. But of course the Chromebooks are way more cheaper.
OutSpoken14/03/2020 09:26

I’m trying to buy laptops for my children who will be starting secondary s …I’m trying to buy laptops for my children who will be starting secondary school this year. How’s your experience been with the chromebook? Do you feel it lacks in any department?A lot of what I’ve read seems to suggest getting a full windows 10 laptop. But of course the Chromebooks are way more cheaper.

My children (and I) have had chromebooks for a few years and we love them. They're used mainly for writing documents, watching youtube, surfing the internet etc. Their schools uses google docs/classroom/drive (as opposed to microsoft word/excel) so chromebook is perfect for them. Because of the cloud, it is quick to start up, no worries about saving progress etc. They are able to print from their chromebooks and they are portable, so convenient for holidays. My children aren't interested in gaming or watching dvds on their chromebooks but if that's something you think yours will want to do, a laptop may be better. Just to say that in the end I went for the Asus 433 but the Acer CB314 touch screen is down to £249 at Currys and looks a really good buy.
I’ve seen a reasonable deal on a 14” hp cmo597s windows 10 laptop at £289. It’s using ryzen 3.

I would’ve considered the acer chromebook but info on it having a touchscreen is not confirmed. Some online listings say yes, some say no!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants