Groups

Chromebook play store releases..

Bought a chromebook expecting big things, but seems very basic wihtout the playstore..

my acer model is on the google play store list as "planned". does anyone know what this means i.e release in a week, month, next decade? not very clear on the path of releases.

what else can i do other than chrome browser and gmail/drive? was expectin to be able to install spotify, skype, media editor etc..

6 Comments

Not sure why you expected much, it's an OS built on the browser, can use Spotify and skype by way of extensions (I don't know what media editor is sorry)

As for Playstore access it could be months yet, I've been waiting at least 6 since I heard it was coming to mine.

Can you not just download Skype for desktop? Click here.

You can also download Spotify for desktop, just select 'Windows' here.

@cocogumbo windows programs do not work on a 'chromebook'

Jack , do a search and see if running linux in an option in your chromebook - lots of guides out there and model specific, will give you more freedom to 'install' real apps rather than extensions.

i ran bodhi on an old stream 14 and have played around with mint and ubuntu on different computers - way better than windows and no viruses!

If you bought one expecting to be able to 'install' applications like a Windows machine then you didn't do your research very well because it just doesn't work that way.

A quick google brought this up: meetchrome.com/use…ok/

some people dont need all singing laptops as we usually browse and play games online for the majority. i'd sooner have a machine that lets me surf for 8+ hours than my acer that runs just 2.5 hours under windows.

£200 gets you a decent chromebook but a really bad laptop.

Original Poster

bobdylan

If you bought one expecting to be able to 'install' applications like a … If you bought one expecting to be able to 'install' applications like a Windows machine then you didn't do your research very well because it just doesn't work that way.A quick google brought this up: http://www.meetchrome.com/use-spotify-on-chromebook/

i was under the impression, play store would be coming very soon so didnt do that much in terms of what apps are available.

ill look into loading linux, thanks!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Free JackpotJoy Plate56
      2. Win a Free minion usb stick77
      3. Tv choice magazine Issue 391313
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1717

See more discussions