Posted 28th Oct 2021
I'm looking for recommendations for a Chromebook for my son (9yr old) who is wanting a laptop for Christmas. I thought a Chromebook would be better than windows as it would predominantly be used for homework, browsing, YouTube etc. He did have a tablet that broke and was used to the android layout. I was going to get a new tablet but he says he wants to get better at typing on a keyboard.

Budget would be £250 but happy to pay a bit more if it is worth it.

Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment
3 Comments
  1. Avatar
    I have used Chromebooks and Chromeboxes for several years since ditching Windows and have never looked back, for homework, browsing the web, YouTube and what not it will do him just fine.

Chromebooks are for the most part a much of a muchness, they largely come with a 32GB or 64GB eMMC storage device, I'd go for the latter for the extra storage capacity but look for a device with 4GB RAM. They do generally come with 2GB, 4GB or 8GB of RAM, any Chromebook will be fine for the above purposes but you'll see less lag with a 4GB RAM device. 8GB is overkill for a Chromebook in my opinion.

Honestly just focus on build quality, both HP, ASUS and Lenovo arguably make the more robust Chromebooks, but you might not need to spend £250.
  2. Avatar
    One thing to check prior to buying a Chromebook is does he play any games?

I love my Chromebook and it's my go-to when I want to browse or do some quick office work. However you can't natively play games such as Minecraft, Roblox etc.
  3. Avatar
    Theirs a chrome book on here at AO for £128. Wonder if this would suit your lads needs .
Post a comment
Top Merchants