Chromecast Data Usage Confusion

Found 30th Jul 2016
Bit confused... downloaded a movie on my phone with the intention of streaming it to my Chromecast while on holiday.

The Chromecast required a WiFi network, so I tethered to the other halfs WiFi.

After watching the movie, it's used 2.5GB of data?!

Surely that's if you're streaming from the internet? I just wanted to stream content I had stored on my phone.

Any ideas why it used data?

Thanks
Community Updates
AskChromecast
6 Comments
How did the film get from the phone to the Chromecast, did the Chromecast not have to download the 2.5gb film from your phone over the WiFi network.
ibblackberry1

How did the film get from the phone to the Chromecast, did the Chromecast … How did the film get from the phone to the Chromecast, did the Chromecast not have to download the 2.5gb film from your phone over the WiFi network.

​that shouldn't use any data because it's only sending the files on a local network. the only think I can think of is that it did some major update while you was connected. next time I would turn data off just to be on the safe side.
How'd you know it was the CC that used that data? What's the size of the movie file?
did you click "watch" on the folder in the downloads section or again on the movies list?
I can only think of 2 possibilities:-
When you streamed you did not stream the copy on your phone.
Your original download was not the whole movie but simply a marker to where it could get it from.
I'm guessing really.
yes, Chromecast does not stream from local content, it streams direct from the internet, normally. the only way to stream local content is to play the file on your phone and cast your screen to the chromecast. which sucks. you wouldn't do this.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants