Expired

Chromecast help please

Found 20th Mar 2014
Hi all, ok I have bought a chromecast, it came this morning and me and my partner have been trying to get it to work without success
We have followed the instructions to the tee but after installing the app on the laptop and trying to connect to the internet it keeps saying ...
uh oh, were unable to find your chromecast on the network?
I can see it on the wifi list on my laptop, it tell me to ensure I am not using a VPN which we are not, also to check the router is not in AP isolation mode, not sure what this is? I don't think it is
Can anybody help please its driving us mad!
TIA
Julie
Community Updates
AskChromecast
22 Comments
it did that with me
Hi have you tried using a andriod phone to set it up ?

If no luck get a refund

Do let us k ow how it gors
markhuges

Hi have you tried using a andriod phone to set it up ?If no luck get a … Hi have you tried using a andriod phone to set it up ?If no luck get a refundDo let us k ow how it gors

ok thanks I will give that a go!
Tried on android and still not working?
I am going to get a replacement and try again, because on my bt home hub page it says the chromecast is connected yet its not saying that on laptop/android or on the tv, so I will get another and try again lol
A quick heads up for new UK Chromecast buyers that might be using it with a BT Homehub. The two might not initially play nicely together, with the Homehub prompting a "Smart Setup" wizard to display on the TV.
You just need to jump into the admin menus for the Homehub and find the option to turn off Smart Setup. Once you've done that, you shouldn't have any more issues and be free to cast away to your hearts content. If you need a little direction on how to do this, hit up the source link below.
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/127977-got-google-chromecast-got-a-bt-homehub-you-might-want-to-read-this

Maybe not exactly your problem, but it may help others.
LukasB

A quick heads up for new UK Chromecast buyers that might be using it with … A quick heads up for new UK Chromecast buyers that might be using it with a BT Homehub. The two might not initially play nicely together, with the Homehub prompting a "Smart Setup" wizard to display on the TV.You just need to jump into the admin menus for the Homehub and find the option to turn off Smart Setup. Once you've done that, you shouldn't have any more issues and be free to cast away to your hearts content. If you need a little direction on how to do this, hit up the source link below.http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/127977-got-google-chromecast-got-a-bt-homehub-you-might-want-to-read-thisMaybe not exactly your problem, but it may help others.

Great Link!!! I read about that! with BT Hub problem! Cant belive I forgot to ask that!!!

Try that^^^ if you have BT IT SHOULD WORK
mines a bt home hub 3 do it doesn't have the smart setup
You did connect it to a power source ?
allowed

You did connect it to a power source ?

yes I did lol
Well I got the replacement today and its still doing the same thing argghhhhh, can anyone help please? thanks
nortyangel

Well I got the replacement today and its still doing the same thing … Well I got the replacement today and its still doing the same thing argghhhhh, can anyone help please? thanks

Is this the UK chromecast also have you tried powering it with the mains?
Zmanx19

Is this the UK chromecast also have you tried powering it with the mains?

yes and yes lol
When you are trying to connect, check what wifi network you are on.

I had the same problem, and after initially found the Chromecast is switched the wifi from my router to the Chromecast as the wifi. Once i switched it back to my proper wifi it completed the setup ok.
paul1005

When you are trying to connect, check what wifi network you are on.I had … When you are trying to connect, check what wifi network you are on.I had the same problem, and after initially found the Chromecast is switched the wifi from my router to the Chromecast as the wifi. Once i switched it back to my proper wifi it completed the setup ok.

Yes I noticed this to, but setting it back to my wifi hasn't completed set up either, I can only think its something to do with the router?
nortyangel

Yes I noticed this to, but setting it back to my wifi hasn't completed … Yes I noticed this to, but setting it back to my wifi hasn't completed set up either, I can only think its something to do with the router?

Do you know what channel your WiFi is on is it 11? Try a different channel see what happens.
Zmanx19

Do you know what channel your WiFi is on is it 11? Try a different … Do you know what channel your WiFi is on is it 11? Try a different channel see what happens.

Its set to channel 1, automatically selected, should I change this?
Zmanx19

Do you know what channel your WiFi is on is it 11? Try a different … Do you know what channel your WiFi is on is it 11? Try a different channel see what happens.

thank you so much I changed the channel and its connected x
nortyangel

thank you so much I changed the channel and its connected x

No worries enjoy your chromecast
Same problem witn BT Hub 3 BUT i dont understand advice given. I can c chromecast on TV screen but on android phone receiving 'unfortunately Chromecast has stopped' when trying to complete initial set up. Tried factory reset & also powering from socket then switched to powering via USB TV port. Any advice would b appreciated. Many thanks.
I am having the same problem with home hub 3. Which channel did you set it to to get it to work?
Chanel No 5

Just got a new Chromecast for my parents, didn't work on Channel 11, tried 5 randomly and it's happy now.

Hope this helps ... (found this thread from Google)

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants