Groups

Chromecast question

I'm thinking of getting s Chromecast and was wondering if it would work through my DVD player surround sound setup as I can use USB on it for photos. home movies etc but would I be able to stream through it as well?

11 Comments

Chromecast connects via HDMI

lmao

The usb is for supplying power only on the chromecast. Picture comes from the hdmi.

Original Poster

wayners

The usb is for supplying power only on the chromecast. Picture comes from … The usb is for supplying power only on the chromecast. Picture comes from the hdmi.

​So it needs HDMI & USB to work then? oO

Agent004

​So it needs HDMI & USB to work then? oO

​Yep. You could plug in a usb charger then run hdmi to TV but what's the point if you have a usb port on TV

Original Poster

wayners

​Yep. You could plug in a usb charger then run hdmi to TV but what's the p … ​Yep. You could plug in a usb charger then run hdmi to TV but what's the point if you have a usb port on TV

​Cheers wayners, sorted, getting one tomorrow

U cannot do no such thing your DVD player is connected to your TV eg ext1 HDMI port your cromecast will be pluging in to ex2 HDMI port. Now u will download cromecast on Google play store on your tablet /PC. Then open app and cast to your TV u need internet too

Surround sound on hdmi 2, as that carries sound in both directions. Chromecast on hdmi 1. Then you cast phone or tablet to it. If that's what you want to do? You also need a home wifi setup for it to work. Chromecast just mirrors what's on your phone or tablet screen. Some good youtube videos on it all.

The chrome cast is a hdmi device. You plug it into a hdmi slot (as others have said above).

The chrome cast needs a usb power source. It comes with a wall plug, lead, a hdmi extender (about 8 cm length), and device it's self.

You can stream media from your phone to the device in a few ways.

Google cast app and mirror the phone screen over wifi (needs a decent download/upload speed). I believe it's on Android only.

Then there are things like 'local cast' apps that stream media off your phone to it. Some are picky with file formats but it's not that often I had the trouble.

I've recently switched up from a chrome cast to a Amazon fire stick, I've thrown on kodi and now I've not looked back.

Finally to your question.

The chrome cast runs audio and photo via the hdmi socket, so if the TV is hooked up to the surround system then you'll have no issue at all carrying the audio from the chrome cast to the surround system.

Audio and visuals/image*

Original Poster

kos1c

Audio and visuals/image*

​Thanks for you're explanation and answer, I appreciate it, Cheers
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …2344
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047133
      3. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927366
      4. Spotify Family Premium share718

See more discussions