Chromecast vs Android box

Posted 13th Sep
Hello all.
I have been using android boxes to access things like Netflix, YouTube etc...but it's lagging now. I was wondering whether I should buy myself another android box, or should I get myself a Chromecast. But since both do more or less the same things, I'm not sure what are the advantages of a Chromecast.
So, would you recommend going for another android box, or chromecast. Thank you.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

22 Comments
I use a Chromecast myself. U can put same apps on your phone and use it that way. Probably more powerful than a cheap android box?.
Do your existing android box has cast receiving function?
Cisco06060613/09/2019 15:34

Do your existing android box has cast receiving function?

It does have Mirroring, which obviously means my phone has to ON constantly.
brailer13/09/2019 15:34

I use a Chromecast myself. U can put same apps on your phone and use it …I use a Chromecast myself. U can put same apps on your phone and use it that way. Probably more powerful than a cheap android box?.

But what can a Chromecast do that an android box can't?
V_Oo13/09/2019 16:01

But what can a Chromecast do that an android box can't?

Not a clue sorry, I just use it to cast to my TV.
I have a Chromecast and an Android TV box and Nvidia shield. Chromecast is used the most as it will send YouTube , Netflix, prime video etc to my TV, Nvidia shield does this too but also could be a games console as you can install other apps. The Android TV box I rarely use and you can't cast to it but can mirror but it's not as effective for my use. You can however install loads of apps on it like a phone or tablet
ch7leach13/09/2019 16:35

I have a Chromecast and an Android TV box and Nvidia shield. Chromecast is …I have a Chromecast and an Android TV box and Nvidia shield. Chromecast is used the most as it will send YouTube , Netflix, prime video etc to my TV, Nvidia shield does this too but also could be a games console as you can install other apps. The Android TV box I rarely use and you can't cast to it but can mirror but it's not as effective for my use. You can however install loads of apps on it like a phone or tablet

Thank you for your help. The cast option on the android boxes are quite useless I found.
ive had andriod boxes for years and everyone said get a firestick and i laffed. then after them all going slow or crashing all the time i bought a 4k firestick oh my buy one there amazing
Edited by: "kevlfc" 13th Sep
V_Oo13/09/2019 17:13

Thank you for your help. The cast option on the android boxes are quite …Thank you for your help. The cast option on the android boxes are quite useless I found.

The Android boxes use Miracast and it sucks imo you have to leave your phone on and unlocked. The Chromecast and Nvidia shield both use the Chromecast cast functionality which is way better
How about a firestick
ding13/09/2019 17:32

How about a firestick

For some reason I've never been drawn to the fire stick and I read lots of people complaining about it being slow and sluggish
Screen mirroring sucks. What casting does is actually have the Chromecast receive the content directly from your home Internet wifi, not via the device you cast from. Your device then acts as a remote control
Edited by: "jco83" 13th Sep
V_Oo13/09/2019 17:41

For some reason I've never been drawn to the fire stick and I read lots of …For some reason I've never been drawn to the fire stick and I read lots of people complaining about it being slow and sluggish

ive got two and the 4k is faster to install apps a lot qiicker and its nice to use the hdr10 allways on. bit both are better them "the boxs"
Mi Box S has a Chromecast Ultra built in, plenty of reviews on YT

Chromecast Killer
Edited by: "4Real2016" 13th Sep
4Real201613/09/2019 18:21

Mi Box S has a Chromecast Ultra built in, plenty of reviews on …Mi Box S has a Chromecast Ultra built in, plenty of reviews on YTChromecast Killer

That actually looks pretty good. Thanx for sharing
Have you tried resetting the box? Android boxes are far more flexible than firesticks and mine is used for hours daily. It's excellent.
V_Oo13/09/2019 18:32

That actually looks pretty good. Thanx for sharing

Only 1 usb and no ethernet is crazy
I really rate our 4k Firestick, if you do your research you can do wonders with it if you know what I mean
chocci13/09/2019 18:53

Only 1 usb and no ethernet is crazy

Your missing the point, Chromecast Ultra has neither for a similar price, if your looking at getting a Chromecast Ultra you might as well get a Mi Box S, anything else it does is a bonus.

Do you need ethernet? my firestick connects at 650Mbps over wireless AC on only a fair signal, in any case a usb hub and ethernet adapter should solve that problem.
4Real201613/09/2019 22:35

Your missing the point, Chromecast Ultra has neither for a similar price, …Your missing the point, Chromecast Ultra has neither for a similar price, if your looking at getting a Chromecast Ultra you might as well get a Mi Box S, anything else it does is a bonus.Do you need ethernet? my firestick connects at 650Mbps over wireless AC on only a fair signal, in any case a usb hub and ethernet adapter should solve that problem.

I just prefer ethernet as top speeds consistently (virgin superhub3 I have has awful WiFi but I'm not prepared to buy my own router). I also have a 4tb hdd with all my media on which I doubt the chromecast/ firesticks could access hence why I think an android box with nova launcher on is a much better option. I think its time I upgraded so might go for the a95 fx2 (s905x2, 4gb ram, android pie, 32gb storage, £37 from amazon)

amazon.co.uk/And…27N
Edited by: "chocci" 14th Sep
chocci14/09/2019 04:38

I just prefer ethernet as top speeds consistently (virgin superhub3 I have …I just prefer ethernet as top speeds consistently (virgin superhub3 I have has awful WiFi but I'm not prepared to buy my own router). I also have a 4tb hdd with all my media on which I doubt the chromecast/ firesticks could access hence why I think an android box with nova launcher on is a much better option. I think its time I upgraded so might go for the a95 fx2 (s905x2, 4gb ram, android pie, 32gb storage, £37 from amazon)https://www.amazon.co.uk/Android-Amlogic-S905X2-Quad-Core-Support/dp/B07RXZC8H2/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9AR4A752YK8MR30NQ27N

Maybe invest in a good wired wireless AP instead of a router, then you can use it with any router.

As for your hdd, I run mine on one of These using it as a media server for all devices in the home, the unit only costs £9 a year to run, a bit more with the portable drives, it's been on 24/7 since 2013 a temporary measure after I blew up my other server not bad for £100, temporary? 'cough'

I'm with you though, I always go wired if possible.
Edited by: "4Real2016" 14th Sep
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants