Cinavia free bluray players

Found 2nd Oct 2012
Anyone know of a Bluray player thats Cinavia free? I know all players from 2012 have to have this on but does anyone know of any older models thats still on sale from argos/currys ect?
Community Updates
32 Comments
LG BD650, etc.
Thank you for the reply, looking at the LG BD650 but it doesn't have no Optical or coaxial outputs? Dont suppose you can link me to a player with either of these and is Cinavia free mate? Be much appreciated.
steev08

Thank you for the reply, looking at the LG BD650 but it doesn't have no … Thank you for the reply, looking at the LG BD650 but it doesn't have no Optical or coaxial outputs? Dont suppose you can link me to a player with either of these and is Cinavia free mate? Be much appreciated.

I'm guessing that you're not too bothered about 3D capable. Right?
What are LG playing at not having optical and coax out . The back of their player looks like an ALBA or BUSH device. There are still thousands of users out here that have amps that are decent albeit 5.1 / optical / coax input only.
Panasonic bd75
Sony BDP-S370...
killerboy32

Panasonic bd75

No optical or coax out
I'm probably going to get the Pioneer BDP 140

The latest firmware for that is dated 26/07/2012 ... So anyone reading this and maybe decides on the bdp 140 should probably be thinking the dated firmware above adds Cinavia.

Edited by: "dontasciime" 6th Oct 2012
I was going to get rid of my PS3 to buy a standalone BD player but the spread of cinavia put a stop to that. Instead I hacked the PS3 to be a multiregion blu ray player and bought a standalone media player.
dontasciime

I'm probably going to get the Pioneer BDP 140The latest firmware for that … I'm probably going to get the Pioneer BDP 140The latest firmware for that is dated 26/07/2012 ... So anyone reading this and maybe decides on the bdp 140 should probably be thinking the dated firmware above adds Cinavia.

So does that mean you not worried about Cinavia?
I'm not worried about it because my Pioneer BDP140 has not been poisoned with it
dontasciime

I'm not worried about it because my Pioneer BDP140 has not been poisoned … I'm not worried about it because my Pioneer BDP140 has not been poisoned with it

Ok. So ones selling now have been or at best are a gamble?
my sony bps-360 plays "copies" fine (i think thats the model number)
Plum

Ok. So ones selling now have been or at best are a gamble?

AFAIK .. I've been told (I have not installed this firmware as mine shipped with lower) that the latest firmware linked above is also free from Sin
ed1980

my sony bps-360 plays "copies" fine (i think thats the model number)

I was thinking about getting a 3d blu ray for playing a couple of my childrens favs on blu ray at Christmas, but don't like the idea of this cinavia protection.

Sounds too invasive and temperamental. As dontasciime says it's like poison..
dontasciime

AFAIK .. I've been told (I have not installed this firmware as mine … AFAIK .. I've been told (I have not installed this firmware as mine shipped with lower) that the latest firmware linked above is also free from Sin

Ok Thanks. Will have a look around at that and may go for it.
I sent you a pm anyways
becuase ive never connected my BR player to the internet to update the firmware, is that why i dont have a problem playing "copies"
ed1980

becuase ive never connected my BR player to the internet to update the … becuase ive never connected my BR player to the internet to update the firmware, is that why i dont have a problem playing "copies"

maybe . It's a requirement since irc April 2012 for Manufacturers to add Cinavia to hardware but some are ignoring it

Cinavia, originally called Verance Copy Management System for Audiovisual … Cinavia, originally called Verance Copy Management System for Audiovisual Content (VCMS/AV),[3] is an analog watermarking and steganography system under development by Verance since 1999, and released in 2010. In conjunction with the existing Advanced Access Content System (AACS) digital rights management (DRM) inclusion of Cinavia watermarking detection support became mandatory for all consumer Blu-ray players from 2012.

ed1980

becuase ive never connected my BR player to the internet to update the … becuase ive never connected my BR player to the internet to update the firmware, is that why i dont have a problem playing "copies"

Cinavia, originally called Verance Copy Management System for Audiovisual … Cinavia, originally called Verance Copy Management System for Audiovisual Content (VCMS/AV),[3] is an analog watermarking and steganography system under development by Verance since 1999, and released in 2010. In conjunction with the existing Advanced Access Content System (AACS) digital rights management (DRM) inclusion of Cinavia watermarking detection support became mandatory for all consumer Blu-ray players from 2012.

O, Ive had mine for around 3/4 years i think
Edited by: "ed1980" 14th Nov 2012
sony bdv e300,had mine 2 years has optical and aux in as well as tv via hdmi,no cinavia whatsoever,never updated firmware
Went for the Pioneer bdp140. Arrived with firmware 1.10 and I won't be changing unless I get major problems.

Seems a nice machine so far although the remote is a bit of a throwback to the 90's.
What is it?
And why would you want to be free from it?
sykoactiv8d

What is it?And why would you want to be free from it?

Cinavia
Doesn't really answer my question so in layman terms; what is it and why would you want to be free from it?
sykoactiv8d

Doesn't really answer my question so in layman terms; what is it and why … Doesn't really answer my question so in layman terms; what is it and why would you want to be free from it?

My understanding.

It is a copy write protection system that is built into Blu ray players and stops playback of audio if it detects what it thinks is an unauthorised copy. If you do not use backup DVDs or Blu rays and only play original purchased media then in theory it should not be a problem.

However if you do you backups (I have all my children's films on copys to protect the originals) or if in future a problem occurs where it starts to reject older stuff or develops a bug of some kind then you may have.

I am against copy write protection being at the expense of ease of use and reliability for the consumer so want nothing to do with this system.
sykoactiv8d

Doesn't really answer my question so in layman terms; what is it and why … Doesn't really answer my question so in layman terms; what is it and why would you want to be free from it?

It does if you read it.

OverviewCinavia works to prevent copying via the detection of a watermark … OverviewCinavia works to prevent copying via the detection of a watermark recorded into the analog audio of media such as theatrical films and Blu-ray discs. Note that the intent is to prevent all copying, both pirate copies and legal copies of one's own content, for example, for format shifting.The watermark is able to survive recording through microphones (such as recording a film in a movie theater with a camcorder), as well as compression and encoding, yet still be imperceptible to human hearing. Verance claims that the presence of the watermark does not affect audio quality.[5]When media with the watermark is played back on a system with Cinavia detection, its firmware will detect the watermark and check that the device on which it is being played is authorized for that watermark. If the device is not authorized (such as not being an authorized movie projector in the case of a cam bootleg, or not utilizing AACS in the case of a copy of a commercial Blu-ray disc or CSS in the case of a copy of a commercial DVD), a message is displayed (either immediately or after a set duration) stating that the media is not authorized for playback on the device and that users should visit the Cinavia web page for more information. Depending on the device and firmware, once the message is triggered, the audio may be muted, or playback may stop entirely.[6][edit]MessagesFollowing an intervention by the Cinavia+AACS system, one of four messages is displayed to reflect the specific situation in which a watermark was detected. The messages are numbered "Cinavia message code 1–4",[7] allowing the messages themselves to be easily translated for consumers in different languages:Message Code 1: Playback stopped[7] Shown when theatre- or hotel-distributed audio content is being played back on a consumer playback device.Message Code 2: Copying stopped[7] Shown when theatre- or hotel-distributed audio content is being recorded by a consumer recording device.Message Code 3: Audio muted[7] Shown when consumer-sold audio content is being played back from an optical disc, without the matching AACS key present at the centre of the disc.Message Code 4: Copying stopped[7] Shown when consumer-sold audio content is being recorded by a consumer recording device.

Edited by: "dontasciime" 26th Nov 2012
Proving very difficult to find a suitable player. There are Pioneer 140s going on ebay, but these range from ones that appear to be about £50 untouched to £114 which may have been chipped (as it's multi-region) although there does appear to be a way to install custom firmware on it. Has anybody had any further luck with finding a reasonable player to play their bluray backups?
Treguar

Proving very difficult to find a suitable player. There are Pioneer 140s … Proving very difficult to find a suitable player. There are Pioneer 140s going on ebay, but these range from ones that appear to be about £50 untouched to £114 which may have been chipped (as it's multi-region) although there does appear to be a way to install custom firmware on it. Has anybody had any further luck with finding a reasonable player to play their bluray backups?

Sony bdps185 i think as long as you don't update to the latest firmware.
Anyone on here still got their BDP140 if so have you ripped any BR to MKV then used handbrake to encode them down to 1280x using high profile e.g profile 4.1 and does your machine play them?
Edit For anyone else in this position. I tried a few encoding options lates last night and found out it's the setting below stopping playback.

Change Handbrake setting Variable Framerate to Constant Framerate. HB defaults to Variable and this stops playback on My Pioneer BDP-140

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants