Groups

Cinema's sweet-eating policy sucks?

As it always gets mentioned who takes what to cinema and why thye don't buy inside cos its a ripoff.

uk.movies.yahoo.com/190…tml

44 Comments

Not just the prices, the queues are awful!

Saying that, we do buy stuff at the cinema. Mostly because dad gets ice cream, and couldnt take that with us. While he is getting that I might as well get a drink

Think that you should be allowed to take your own stuff in, but would be taking the p!ss a bit if you did it at a free preview!

I usually have a rucksack with me (have to carry a portable nebuliser with me) when we go to one of the two local cinemas, so would be easy to take our own stuff. Never been stopped

Original Poster

I not been cinema in years,last time was to see War of the Worlds,yes the remake I'm not that old yet!
    We were going go see Cloverfield last week but couldn't squeeze it in with everything else we were doing that day.

Why would you want to eat in the cinema anyway. I used to when i was younger, but you think we'd condition ourselves to not spend over-the-top prices?

We're only in there for 2, 3 ours at the very tops. I'm sure we could eat before we went in?

And it's just annoying hearing the rustling of the packets of popcorn. + The slurping of empty drinks.

Argh.

I just think we should eat before or after.

feel free to argue, i probably wont reply

/end.

i always take in my own stuff, they were charging £2.10 for a bottle of water last time i checked, that's just water!

We never used to go, but been going a lot in the last year. A lot of good films came out at once, so we went every friday for a few weeks, and it just became habit then. So we go a lot more now (not every week, but once or twice a month depending on whats on)

people eat in the cinema because when they see other people eating in the cinema, it makes them hungry(usually for popcorn/sweets). if no-one did, it would be fine

Never mind the price of food what about the price to get in my cinema after 6pm the ticket prices go UP!!

At one of the free previews we went to last year, the couple in front of us had home made butties wrapped in silver foil!!! :roll:

Must admit when I was younger I never ate in the cinema and still not keen on it now. I usually find in my case it was boyfriends who always wanted to buy sweets etc. I actually dumped one boyfriend after he bought a massive tub of popcorn and ate it like a robot throughout the film. He never stopped and his constant munching annoyed me so much and even more so when he kept talking the whole way through the film too during the rare occassions his mouth stopped munching for long enough! hehe

I'd go to the cinema a lot more if it was a bit cheaper.

Always take our own sweeties in which are normally purchased from the pound shop !!

I also take care when eating ie, not to rustle the packet / wrapper etc...but when people blatantly do it on purpose, then giggle, it really annoys me !!

Therfore don't go very often !!

Original Poster

I'd go a lot more if cheaper too.

I learned not to take anything in when I got my unlimited card.

A subway drink at most[which is gone before the film starts], and I just argue with them that it's in the same building as subway.

Usually let me in.

as a student, i not only get student priced tickets but i'm a student beans member (google it if you're a student, it's definately worthit!) which means i can print out a buy one get one free ticket voucher for use mon-thurs, so me and my girlfriend get to go to the cinema mon-thurs for £3 each

t0mm;1603659

I learned not to take anything in when I got my unlimited card.A subway … I learned not to take anything in when I got my unlimited card.A subway drink at most[which is gone before the film starts], and I just argue with them that it's in the same building as subway. Usually let me in.

So you're one of the annoying people who needs to get up to pee half way through the film??

i've never had my bag searched but i always put sweets etc in my handbag. he musta been carrying the plastic bag from the shop he bought em from i reckon.

I think their prices are outrageous, but at the same time can understand the policy, not many businesses who sell food and drink would allow you to consume your own on their premises.

It is the same as going to a club and expecting to be able to drink your own beer because they charge too much, you could argue you are there for the music and DJ's, but they sell alcohol and wouldnt let you consume your own.

Not saying I agree with it, but it does make sense.

Always just take a supermarket carrier bag with stuff in - never been queried.

It is ridiulous though as they advertise as a cinema, not as a sweet shop so you should be able to take your own stuff in although I'd prefer if they just banned food as the mess a lot of people make is unbelieveable, so many dirty dirty people out there.

I'm a part time student but unfortunately we don't get very many student offers as we don't qualify which I don't think is very fair and in my local cinema even though you only have to show a valid student card which I did I was turned down from getting a discount as I was classed as too old!!!

Not good for a girl's ego!

sadiebabes;1603703

So you're one of the annoying people who needs to get up to pee half way … So you're one of the annoying people who needs to get up to pee half way through the film??

Nope, I don't go to the toilet during a film, why miss bits? I'd rather pee myself:thumbsup: btw, today during cloverfield, I was 40 minutes late to college!

Original Poster

t0mm;1603806

Nope, I don't go to the toilet during a film, why miss bits? I'd rather … Nope, I don't go to the toilet during a film, why miss bits? I'd rather pee myself:thumbsup: btw, today during cloverfield, I was 40 minutes late to college!

Was it good? we wanted to see it.

Yeh apprantly my partner said when he went to Metallica concert last Summer,people didn't wnat to leave their spot and apprantly wet themselves to save going toilet during the concert,this was posted up on some fan forum he visits.

Second time seeing it. It's a good film, but not as good as the adverts make it out to be, if it wasn't for the sound effects it'd be boring.

So i wouldnt recommend it on DVD or BLURAY :whistle: *Dig* unless you have a surround sound system

Original Poster

t0mm;1603898

Second time seeing it. It's a good film, but not as good as the adverts … Second time seeing it. It's a good film, but not as good as the adverts make it out to be, if it wasn't for the sound effects it'd be boring.So i wouldnt recommend it on DVD or BLURAY :whistle: *Dig* unless you have a surround sound system

I've just seen the odd trailer online,I doubt we go cos we so busy with work and other stuff at moment.

I recommend Jumper though.

all i do because like you said it's a rip off i just bring a bag in with like a big 2 litre of coke and like popcorn in the mini packets and crisps and sweets and like all that will like cost the same as a large coke and a large popcorn lol

i agree

Is it actually legal for the security guard to search your bag. I believe that the law says someone can only search yor bag if they are given permission by the owner. But I am not sure.

Standi;1604127

Is it actually legal for the security guard to search your bag. I believe … Is it actually legal for the security guard to search your bag. I believe that the law says someone can only search yor bag if they are given permission by the owner. But I am not sure.

Not without your permission, however, you can be asked to leave.

Ive only been stopped once and i take sweets out of bags first and put into containers first so no rustling, told them I have intolerances to certain additives and as their sweets are pick and mix couldnt risk it due to lack of information available, same with their drinks as they are made from concentrate.

Never had a problem in Odeons or Vue, is it just Cineworld?
    I would make sure all my kids had "huge reactions" to E numbers and would pack all my own sweets.

Banned

Went to Bluewater last sunday with the eldest to see "Underdog". £12 for 2 tickets, £6 in petrol and a few quid for the drink and chocolate we took with us. Littlun loved the film and asked me if I could get it for him.

I obliged within a couple of hours of getting home - much cheaper - and no one to tell us what we can buy to eat or rip us off. Sorted.

ive eaten a whole mcdonalds before infront of staff as i was walking in,they didnt do anything. cineworld are well doss, i never pay for my ticket, just ge me mate with cine pass to buy us both one. IDEAL.

Well we went to see The Bank Job tonight at Cineworld and took our own sweets. Security guard saw me eating my Roses and never said a word. There is no way I would pay their ridiculous prices, especially when taking the kids. I do hate the mess people leave behind though, theres just no need for that.

gees the cinema close to me seems cheap now

£3.75 student all week
    crazy tues £2.50 everyone
    orange wed 2 for £5
    £5 per adult

the cinema's (here anyways) make all their money on the concessions not on tickets

but in the movie house you are allowed to bring in food so long as its not warm food

I gave up going to the cinema years ago. I hated it when I went to see some film the girlfriend at the time wanted to see. (can't remember what i was, but I didn't really want to see it!) We sat there and I was sat next to a kid that was watching the film with his mum. He had oviously seen it before and his mother wanted to know everything that happens before it happened on screen!

So now in our front room we have an electric screen for the projector (the screen is 104" diagonal. Approx 8 foot wide :thumbsup:) full surround system with Sky HD, and HD-DVD player (please don't start) and we can watch films when we want as loud as we want whilst wearing what we want and eating and drinking what we want. (eve you can even pause the film for a pee!)

Banned

I remember being disgusted at Haven holidays a few years back, loads of people were walking in with their own stuff but every time I went in, my mum went in, or we went together we were stopped, and twice my mum had her handbag snatched off her by the security guard even though she said she didnt want into the bar/entertainment area anymore and wanted guys name to compain.

It all mounted up till one time my mum refused as the guy reached for her bag we walked out and the security guard followed us down the road and kept radioing the others.

My mum got back to the caravan in tears and told my dad who stormed up to the reception and complaind and in front of them called the police(as she had her bag grabbed from her) the police didnt give a """" but did tell the security guard off and took him into a room lol.

Then the manager cmae and apologised etc.

After that we had no problem and we went back to the park a month later and never got searched.

Still it was awful having your handbag grabbed out of your hands and the contents ripped out and questioned about what everything in it was.

bunch of cheapskates:p

Banned

Mum2Connor&Cerys;1603853

Was it good? we wanted to see it.Yeh apprantly my partner said when he … Was it good? we wanted to see it.Yeh apprantly my partner said when he went to Metallica concert last Summer,people didn't wnat to leave their spot and apprantly wet themselves to save going toilet during the concert,this was posted up on some fan forum he visits.

Watched cloverfield on DVD and thought it was overhyped. Glad I didnt go to the cinema to see it but then again I never go to the cinema cos of all the ignorant idiots munching away!

Banned

dcx_badass;1606076

Well in Leeds Light odeon its like £6.95 an aduly and £4.95 a student. S … Well in Leeds Light odeon its like £6.95 an aduly and £4.95 a student. Stupid prices really. More than a DVD for an adult ticket.

Thats cheap! £9 for an adult in Brighton.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4532115
      2. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?2546
      3. How long do we think it’ll be until USB C is considered as safe and univers…66
      4. Sonos says let us spy or your stereo will not work77

See more discussions