Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Cities To Visit In Europe

Posted 3rd Mar
Hi all,

I’ve been looking into travelling across Western Europe for approx 3 weeks next summer. I’m new to this type of travel so have a few questions if anyone can help? If anyone has done anything similar to this please do advise me on anything you feel will help me.

The cities I was hoping to visit are:

1. Milan, Italy
2. Venice, Italy
3. Munich, Germany
4. Vienna, Austria
5. Budapest, Hungary
6. Prague, Czech Rep.
7. Berlin, Germany
8. Amsterdam, NL
9. Paris, France (& Disneyland)
10. Nice, France

It’s for 2 adults and 2 children, age 2 and 8. Is it better to hire a car and drive? Or the euro rail? Worried about amount of luggage needed with the children and distance/time travelling between cities.

Also accommodation and food.. all tips greatly appreciated. I’m only just starting to look into it so need to plan it/organise it as best as possible.

Thank you
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
Too much travelling with not enough rest for fidgety kids.
I suggest that if possible you base yourself somewhere in the alps (Chamonix) & drive a few places whilst not spending too long in a car / catching trains with wet / worse nappies & tetchy hot kids.

Nice alpine environment, fly into geneva, drive to chamonix pre-book a basic apartment ( maeva riviere) not far from centre of town, bunk beds & drop down sofa bed (I use em all the time).
pay for underground parking.

Take kids up the mountains (lifts & hikes available) ...good food whichever way you choose.

Just over the border from switzerland, Italy, & a lot of france to investigate. (Annecy for example)
If you really REALLY need to tick stuff off as passing through then how about a week at 3 destinations & a flight back to blighty ..RESTED.

Whilst we travelled abroad extensively with our kid from the age of 10? months that sort of itinery would wipe out us & our kid, ..ie what do we really see? travel should be immersion wherever possible creating understanding of the environ rather than a blur of selfies, & if you don't have to drag the kids now they'll be more accepting of impromptu, cheaper budgeted travel later on!

If a hot 3 weeks imagine the discomfort of a two year old toddler.

10 destinations? way too ambitious, blink & you'll miss it.
(the firm who own the maeva have clones of these popular self catering apts all over the place) ..check them out, might help with location, down days, ...fried kids etc. "pierre et vacances" (Pierre & Vacances, Maeva, Sunparks, and Adagio)
(for instance many s.koreans, japanese, germans, russians ...the whole gamut, use these to have a "generally" afforadable base from which to explore areas).
Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 3rd Mar
Mr_Gus03/03/2020 14:21

Too much travelling with not enough rest for fidgety kids.I suggest that …Too much travelling with not enough rest for fidgety kids.I suggest that if possible you base yourself somewhere in the alps (Chamonix) & drive a few places whilst not spending too long in a car / catching trains with wet / worse nappies & tetchy hot kids.Nice alpine environment, fly into geneva, drive to chamonix pre-book a basic apartment ( maeva riviere) not far from centre of town, bunk beds & drop down sofa bed (I use em all the time).pay for underground parking.Take kids up the mountains (lifts & hikes available) ...good food whichever way you choose.Just over the border from switzerland, Italy, & a lot of france to investigate. (Annecy for example)If you really REALLY need to tick stuff off as passing through then how about a week at 3 destinations & a flight back to blighty ..RESTED.Whilst we travelled abroad extensively with our kid from the age of 10? months that sort of itinery would wipe out us & our kid, ..ie what do we really see? travel should be immersion wherever possible creating understanding of the environ rather than a blur of selfies, & if you don't have to drag the kids now they'll be more accepting of impromptu, cheaper budgeted travel later on!If a hot 3 weeks imagine the discomfort of a two year old toddler.10 destinations? way too ambitious, blink & you'll miss it.(the firm who own the maeva have clones of these popular self catering apts all over the place) ..check them out, might help with location, down days, ...fried kids etc. "pierre et vacances" (Pierre & Vacances, Maeva, Sunparks, and Adagio)(for instance many s.koreans, japanese, germans, russians ...the whole gamut, use these to have a "generally" afforadable base from which to explore areas).

Thank you very much for your honesty. I truly appreciate it.

...Too much travelling with not enough rest for fidgety kids.
I suggest that if possible you base yourself somewhere in the alps (Chamonix) & drive a few places whilst not spending too long in a car / catching trains with wet / worse nappies & tetchy hot kids...

This is my biggest concern. So thank you for your honesty. I might have to come back to you for advice regarding this particular trip. I’ll simplify it
"CDC recommends that travelers avoid all nonessential travel to Italy."
Hennah03/03/2020 14:32

Thank you very much for your honesty. I truly appreciate it. ...Too much …Thank you very much for your honesty. I truly appreciate it. ...Too much travelling with not enough rest for fidgety kids.I suggest that if possible you base yourself somewhere in the alps (Chamonix) & drive a few places whilst not spending too long in a car / catching trains with wet / worse nappies & tetchy hot kids...This is my biggest concern. So thank you for your honesty. I might have to come back to you for advice regarding this particular trip. I’ll simplify it

old hand, a holiday is for everyone, if it is onesided & angry it is miserable, a lot can be achieved by slowing travel down, ..i'm smitten with the alps, so are my family, & our daughter has travelledsince she was young enough to scare adult travellers with the potential for being on a transatlantic flight since under a year old.

Cham is welcoming, safe, close enough to interesting stuff (views of value) that keeps us going back all seasons. & "the base" has proven better than some hotels i've stayed in.

it is affordable to treat your kids to ice cream, enjoy the sun, cool, & summer high altitude snow, wildlife, cow bells (swiss cows) pastures, climbing roads in cars with the windows down & consuming "allsorts" without blowing the wallet.
IF you travel to geneva & hire a car they tend to "overspec" whatever you hire, we have always ended up with a MPV (5-7 seater).

from chamonix italy is 30 mins away (out of town, up the mountain, through the mountain, (glaciers on both sides) Switzerland is 40 minutes drive, along the valley, up & round with a descent to the other side... from there ...well I have associations with ski-resorts & see friends in the summer...

Cham is good & safe for walking in town, has courtesy bus (mulet) ..pushchair access, the BEST ice cream, affordable menus for kids & adults, & some of the best places are smaller (best coffee in chamonix at an italian that will also fill your appetite for around 10 euro per person.

GREAT supermarkets if travelling in france also have restaurants that are tremendous value for 3 courses & coffee, plus pancakes anytime of day.

Cafe society, surrounded by mtns, a unesco sites, ....blah blah blah.
Slow the travel rush when they are older & can travel better under their own steam (& out of nappies).Likely both your kids will burn out & stymie rigid timetables for years yet (sorry).

We make use of may to get to cham on the cheap (school age kid) booking early, ..she is eager to go everytime, & we tend to spend xmas there also ((snow)) good for mixed ability / non skiers toddler snow play connected to town by the free buses / a short walk.
Excellent beers (blonde / brown / microbrewery & affordable bottles).
Many pierre et vacance in cham have balconies (lockable doors) with views of the glaciers.

Prague is ok for a decent chunky air tyre 3 wheeler buggy but "bumpy" ..cobbles hard on everyones feet, gets cheaper around the Gunpowder tower for hotel deals, colder weather breaks can be wonderfully cheap if you wrap up.

a good number of those places mentioned are do-able on mini-breaks latterly via cheap flights & deals sought out, however your 8 year old is now in the grip of schools sending veiled threats for attendance (of which good travel does not sadly qualify) ..so things get harder, thus we are forever scanning for deals, but 3 days is short shrift for too many locations, may as well stay longer in one spot, get the better deal rather than flights, parking etc twice!

We used to spend weeks cheaply in canada, because once bought extending a week (once booked) or fortnight was the cheap & sensible route, so we'd stay 3 weeks or a month at a time.

Travelling to & from the airport, is fraught ..& then there's your other passengers!

Aspire lounges may be good to check out for "relaxed" settings prior to flight from uk, always a good start, no idea what the minimum age of entry is though so may exclude "infants" ..anything to get away from a busy concourse though & an incentive to set off, do security in good time!
If your going to Vienna, you could visit Bratislava it’s only an hour and a few euro away on the train. Or you can get a boat what’s cheap but take 1.5hours.. it’s cheap beer, has a nice castle and the old town. It’s like a smaller Prague but without the hideous amount of tourist.. I would recommend a couple of days there..
I'd do Disneyland Paris and then head for a beach resort or two in the South of France or Spain. The kids are going the hate all those city breaks, save them for when you can get by yourselves.
yorkie1203/03/2020 16:01

I'd do Disneyland Paris and then head for a beach resort or two in the …I'd do Disneyland Paris and then head for a beach resort or two in the South of France or Spain. The kids are going the hate all those city breaks, save them for when you can get by yourselves.

Thank you. Will have a serous think about it after work today. Thank you
Unfortunately, I'm going to have to agree with the comments above, this trip will be a bit much for your young children, especially in mid summer. If you go down the Alps suggestion, consider Annecy, fab alpine lake with plenty to do, and close enough to wander off to Switzerland. If you want the nomadic holiday, how about a motorhome. France is very well served with convenient campsites close to interesting cities. To add to your list of cites, Rome and Barcelona are amazing. Save to rail journey for the early teenage years. All the above from own experience.
If you are going to Milan and Venice, then spend a day in desenzano on Lake garda and a day in verona. Beautiful places and on the way from Milan to venice

The trains in Italy are amazing and very cheap

Personally, I would fly to the first destination, then use trains then have Venice as the final destination and fly home from there

For 3 weeks, I would stay in no more than 7 cities so 7 travel days leaving 2 days per city for sightseeing
Edited by: "chocci" 4th Mar
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants