Citroen Xsarra Picasso dashboard

Found 11th Feb 2015
Hello, I have a 2001 Citroen Xsarra Picasso. I have two display 'windows' on my dashboard. The right window, which shows radio station, miles left for petrol, etc, is working fine. However, the left window is quite faint - I can still see the petrol guage on it, light symbols when lit up, etc, but the only thing that I can't see now is the speed that I am driving at. The speed figure is so faint now that I can barely read it. Does anybody know what the problem is, seeing the other symbols on that window display are not too bad (not as bright as the other window, but still readable)? Obviously, would like this sorted as it is quite difficult to see how fast I am driving, particularly around town, where we have several 20 mph zones. Thank you.
Community Updates
AskCitroen
10 Comments
Is it back lit, does a bulb need changing
ding

Is it back lit, does a bulb need changing

I thought about a bulb, but if that's the case, I don't understand why it is only the mph bit that is really faint (practically unreadable) - if there was a bulb for each display window on the dashboard, wouldn't all of the info. in the left window be showing up as really faint as well (just like the mph bit)? Thank you.
Yeah, definitely the bulb. We had the same problem with our Picasso a few years ago - the air con screen was very faint on one side and we couldn't see the mph on the top main dash screen. The bulbs are a peculiar shape/size, never found them in the likes of motor factors or even Halfrauds.

In the end, I went to a scrapyard, took one apart (to bet the bulbs/make sure I broke a scrap car before ours lol) - almost very simple. Take the clips off the side of the screen, 4 x T screws (the star shaped drives), pull the dash screen unit out, use long nosed pliers to turn the bulbs 90 degrees and pull out.
There are 4 bulbs for the air con and, IIRC, about 16 for the dash screen - so yeah, one 2x2" piece of screen being faint is a blown bulb. Easy to confirm by shining a torch into the faint part of the screen.
Just been reading up a bit on this on google and looking at a video on how to do this. Just before this, I decided to phone my local Citreon Dealer and have been quoted £60 to replace one bulb or £75 for the whole set. Said the high cost was due to the labour involved in removing the dashboard. Has anybody actually done this themselves - on the YouTube video, it just showed a man using a flat head screwdriver to prise off the cover and a torque screwdriver to remove the two holding screws, then a pair of pliers to remove the bulb(s). Can't believe it would cost me between £60-£75 to do all of this! Is it as straightforward as it is shown on the video, as don't want to have to pay out the money quoted to me (I have a Citroen Xsarra Picasso 2001 car)? Thank you.
As Grant mentions above, go to a local scrappie and practice on their cars
GrantG182

Yeah, definitely the bulb. We had the same problem with our Picasso a few … Yeah, definitely the bulb. We had the same problem with our Picasso a few years ago - the air con screen was very faint on one side and we couldn't see the mph on the top main dash screen. The bulbs are a peculiar shape/size, never found them in the likes of motor factors or even Halfrauds. In the end, I went to a scrapyard, took one apart (to bet the bulbs/make sure I broke a scrap car before ours lol) - almost very simple. Take the clips off the side of the screen, 4 x T screws (the star shaped drives), pull the dash screen unit out, use long nosed pliers to turn the bulbs 90 degrees and pull out.

Just wondering if I can't get the bulb at a scrapyard, seeing how hard you found it looking for one at Halfords, etc, where I could pick up one? Does anybody know of anywhere on-line? Thank you.
ding

As Grant mentions above, go to a local scrappie and practice on their cars

Would it have to be the exact model and year of car that I would need - or are the bulbs all the same on a Citroen Xsarra Picasso? Just wondering, are all of the bulbs identical ones on the dashboard - if I can't get one at a scrapyard at the moment, could I just swap over one of the other less important bulbs - it is the MPH one that is not showing up on mine, which obviously is very important?
Just ordered a box of 10 bulbs with video from an eBay seller, so hopefully, will be able to do this and save myself quite a bit of money.
Yeah, the bulbs are the same on all PSA cars (Citroen and Peugeot) from around 2000 onwards.

Make sure the bulbs you bought include the bulb holders (ie. Plastic base part and the glass bulb part) or you will find this a much more difficult task.

No problem swapping bulbs over....but it's only a matter of time before you have to replace them anyway. Ours had just celebrated its 6th Birthday when it needed new bulbs - I only replaced the broken ones, then had to change more a year or so later.

It is as easy as you described - pry the plastic caps off the sides, unscrew the torx screws and pull it out gently as the wires attached to the screen unit are fairly short. Take your time and be gentle and save yourself the extortionate main dealer price - good luck :-)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants