Expired

Citroen Xsarra Picasso front washer jets not working

Found 12th Nov 2014
Hello, my front washer jets don't seem to be working on my Citroen Xsarra Picasso (older model). On lifting the bonnet, there is a large cover (hard, felt-backed type of cover) which has two clips (one each side) that you can turn, I presume to remove the cover, however, it won't pull off when these clips are turned and my son thinks that there is something else holding it in place (apart from the clips) - any ideas as to how to remove it please? My son said that the cover would need to come off to see if the washer tubes are still connected correctly - is this correct? Thank you.

15 Comments

You mean the windscreen washers?

Start by checking that the pump is OK. Mounted on the bottom of the reservoir. I think you need to remove the wheel arch liner to get to it.

Quite a common problem so if you google it you'll find instructions.

HDI I assume ?,if you are talking about the black engine cover, the 4 flying saucer shaped clips are all that hold it on, although it may be tight on dipstick, however that wont help you, the washer bottle is behind the front wing.
First of all check your user manual as nine out of ten times its a fuse due to cold weather, used to be f14 under bonnet fuse box a red 10 amp mini fuse, but it's been so long I would double check your manual as I could be wrong on location of fuse

Original Poster

mas99

You mean the windscreen washers?Start by checking that the pump is OK. … You mean the windscreen washers?Start by checking that the pump is OK. Mounted on the bottom of the reservoir. I think you need to remove the wheel arch liner to get to it.Quite a common problem so if you google it you'll find instructions.

Sorry, perhaps I should have said that no water is coming out of the jets (wipers are working ok). I've tried inserting a needle to see if there is a blockage but water is still not coming through. We can see the tubes coming from the water bottle but the tubes run up behind the 'hard, felt cover' that I mentioned above (two clips that you turn on it to remove it, but something is still holding it in place and we can't see what that is). We want to look behind the cover at the tubes to see if they are still connected to the jets. Thank you.

Original Poster

Pugamall

HDI I assume ?,if you are talking about the black engine cover, the 4 … HDI I assume ?,if you are talking about the black engine cover, the 4 flying saucer shaped clips are all that hold it on, although it may be tight on dipstick, however that wont help you, the washer bottle is behind the front wing.First of all check your user manual as nine out of ten times its a fuse due to cold weather, used to be f14 under bonnet fuse box a red 10 amp mini fuse, but it's been so long I would double check your manual as I could be wrong on location of fuse

P reg (2001 model).

Wipers still operate when fuse for pump is blown btw

Can you hear the pump working when you try to use the washers?

Original Poster

The cover that I want to remove - the tubes are coming from the washer bottle around the back of the bonnet cover and then underneath it. I would like to remove the felt-type of cover, think it is for insulation/fire protection or something, seen these covers on several cars that I have had. When you raise the bonnet and hold it up, you are looking directly at it, but I want to remove it to look behind to see if the tubes are still connected to the jets. Tried turning the two clips on it but something is still holding it in place, do you just have to pull quite hard to remove it? Thank you.

Sophiasky

The cover that I want to remove - the tubes are coming from the washer … The cover that I want to remove - the tubes are coming from the washer bottle around the back of the bonnet cover and then underneath it. I would like to remove the felt-type of cover, think it is for insulation/fire protection or something, seen these covers on several cars that I have had. When you raise the bonnet and hold it up, you are looking directly at it, but I want to remove it to look behind to see if the tubes are still connected to the jets. Tried turning the two clips on it but something is still holding it in place, do you just have to pull quite hard to remove it? Thank you.

If the pipes had come undone then you would see water leaking from behind the cover when you operate the washers.

Most likely issue is your washer pump has failed.

edit: they can fail so that they work for the rear but not the front.
Edited by: "mas99" 12th Nov 2014

If the hoses become disconnected from the jets then water would still **** out from under the felt when the washers are activated, as already mentioned it's best to start with the pump
Edited by: "ding" 12th Nov 2014

O.K lets start from basics, ign on, pull stick wipers operate, shows switch works and BSI is getting signal to operate wipers and timed washer pump purge,
So first things, when stick is pulled can you hear pump working, if not check fuse as stated before, if you can then you know fuse is OK, so could be pump failure, yes you can still hear pump sometimes, as the vanes in pump are connected to splines via plastic, so it can strip, usually if pipe has worn through or come adrift, it will spill water, so if all elese has been checked or verified it could be pipe blocked.
But this time of year we used to get 2 or 3 a week with blown fuses, and when it gets icy that turned to 2,3 or more a day and we used to have to have extra stock on 10 amp fuses, so check easiest things first

Pugamall

O.K lets start from basics, ign on, pull stick wipers operate, shows … O.K lets start from basics, ign on, pull stick wipers operate, shows switch works and BSI is getting signal to operate wipers and timed washer pump purge,So first things, when stick is pulled can you hear pump working, if not check fuse as stated before, if you can then you know fuse is OK, so could be pump failure, yes you can still hear pump sometimes, as the vanes in pump are connected to splines via plastic, so it can strip, usually if pipe has worn through or come adrift, it will spill water, so if all elese has been checked or verified it could be pipe blocked.But this time of year we used to get 2 or 3 a week with blown fuses, and when it gets icy that turned to 2,3 or more a day and we used to have to have extra stock on 10 amp fuses, so check easiest things first

This^

Also might be stating the obvious but make sure the washer bottle is topped up.

I had a problem like this on a ten year old car. Pump was whirring and it was full but wouldn't work. Turned out it was full of gunk. I got my local mechanic to sort it out when he put some alloys on for me and mended the clutch pedal. Only cost £30 for everything.

shauneco

This^Also might be stating the obvious but make sure the washer bottle is … This^Also might be stating the obvious but make sure the washer bottle is topped up.

And its worth mentioning that using a "Decent" screen wash in correct dilution is paramount, as it contains antifreeze and anti gel, that otherwise without cause blown fuses, pump damage, blocked pipes and jets and even cracking/splitting of washer bottles

Original Poster

Thank you for all of the advice, I have my 7 year old home from school now and have to go out for a couple of hours, so will make more comments tomorrow after I have checked on a few things first, ie the fuse - just one thing, is there just one fuse (or are there two) that operates both the front and the back pumps (can definitely hear the back pump, will check the front again)? The washer bottle is definitely topped up though. Thank you.

I had the problem with a vectra I once had, where the pump pushed into the water bottle was a strainer/ filter, this was full of gunk and slime either clean it out or push a hole in it with a screw driver, it might be a similar set up on your car
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions