Claiming compensation for data breach

Found 6th Nov 2017
I received a letter last week from a financial services provider advising me that some of my personal info had been breached during an attack on their servers based overseas. This is a company that I personally despise and was forced to deal with anyway so I would ideally like to claim some compensation from them.

Has anybody ever claimed for this sort of thing in the past and can they offer any advice?

TIA.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
You aren't due any compensation. Perhaps just accept that despite barriers to crime it tends to occur occasionally and the only people responsible are the hackers.
17 Comments
Have you actually suffered any damage as a result of their data breach?

If yes, claim away.. If no, you're out of luck.

ico.org.uk/for…on/

"You have a right to claim compensation from an organisation if you have suffered damage because they have breached part of the Act."
say it caused you sleepless nights, anxiety, stress and you had to take time off work unpaid
Original Poster
adam_holcombe7 m ago

Have you actually suffered any damage as a result of their data breach?If …Have you actually suffered any damage as a result of their data breach?If yes, claim away.. If no, you're out of luck.https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/compensation/"You have a right to claim compensation from an organisation if you have suffered damage because they have breached part of the Act."

Well I won't know because once they've breached my details and they're in the wild, it could take years before you see any impact. Not to mention the undue stress caused by their negligence.

The UK really needs an equivalent for the class action system otherwise it just gives corporations carte blanche to get away with stuff like this.
Original Poster
dataload1 m ago

say it caused you sleepless nights, anxiety, stress and you had to take …say it caused you sleepless nights, anxiety, stress and you had to take time off work unpaid

It has caused my some stress and anxiety to be honest, that one wouldn't be a lie at all.
Spark1 h, 55 m ago

Well I won't know because once they've breached my details and they're in …Well I won't know because once they've breached my details and they're in the wild, it could take years before you see any impact. Not to mention the undue stress caused by their negligence. The UK really needs an equivalent for the class action system otherwise it just gives corporations carte blanche to get away with stuff like this.

The UK has an equivalent.. bbc.co.uk/new…483
Edited by: "adam_holcombe" 6th Nov 2017
Original Poster
adam_holcombe5 m ago

The UK as an equivalent.. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34402483

So in other words, it just requires a small (or large) group of consumers to work together and make a complaint that can then be taken to the courts if necessary?
You aren't due any compensation. Perhaps just accept that despite barriers to crime it tends to occur occasionally and the only people responsible are the hackers.
Original Poster
davewave7 m ago

You aren't due any compensation. Perhaps just accept that despite …You aren't due any compensation. Perhaps just accept that despite barriers to crime it tends to occur occasionally and the only people responsible are the hackers.

No the people who are responsible are those who were negligent enough to allow their servers to be breached in the first place. The hackers are also hardly blameless of course but for sure the only innocent party and the real victim here is me.
Spark1 h, 14 m ago

No the people who are responsible are those who were negligent enough to …No the people who are responsible are those who were negligent enough to allow their servers to be breached in the first place. The hackers are also hardly blameless of course but for sure the only innocent party and the real victim here is me.

Can you prove they were negligent? Can you prove you suffered as a result of their data breach?

I assume this is equifax - if so, you weren't forced to deal with them..
I received one of those letters and I can't ever remember dealing with them. Anyway straight in the bin and forgotten about. I suggest you do the same. It's unlikely you'll receive any compensation.
Original Poster
adam_holcombe4 m ago

Can you prove they were negligent? Can you prove you suffered as a result …Can you prove they were negligent? Can you prove you suffered as a result of their data breach?I assume this is equifax - if so, you weren't forced to deal with them..

Your assumption is correct and yes I was forced to deal with them although that's a different story tbh.

Considering there's a class action lawsuit currently going through the US federal court that is likely cost them upwards of $1Bn, I think it's safe to say they were extremely negligent in their handling of data security.
Original Poster
redcantona4 m ago

I received one of those letters and I can't ever remember dealing with …I received one of those letters and I can't ever remember dealing with them. Anyway straight in the bin and forgotten about. I suggest you do the same. It's unlikely you'll receive any compensation.

No offence but it's attitudes like that which allow companies to get away with this sort of thing and handle our personal information so haphazardly.
HMRC were a tad negligent when the lost those discs containing details of 25 million child benefit claimants a few years ago. Can I sue the government?
Original Poster
psychobitchfromhell7 m ago

HMRC were a tad negligent when the lost those discs containing details of …HMRC were a tad negligent when the lost those discs containing details of 25 million child benefit claimants a few years ago. Can I sue the government?

Under those circumstances you should be able to IMHO.
Perhaps Martin Lewis will comment some more on this as it develops, probably best to follow via MSE, comments are asking for more info from Martin Lewis...story so far

LINK

What will customers be offered?All customers who had their phone numbers accessed will be offered a leading identity monitoring service for free. An identity monitoring service usually notifies individuals of any activity related to their personal information - such as credit applications and website updates - that could be signs of identity theft.

Equifax says it will offer Equifax Protect for free to the 56,000 people who have had their driving license information, Equifax Protect is an identity protection service that monitors your personal data, including your credit information, and alerts you by email or SMS message to potential signs of fraudulent activity. Equifax also says products and services from third-party organisations will also be offered at no cost to consumers.

Original Poster
davewave15 h, 4 m ago

Perhaps Martin Lewis will comment some more on this as it develops, …Perhaps Martin Lewis will comment some more on this as it develops, probably best to follow via MSE, comments are asking for more info from Martin Lewis...story so farLINKWhat will customers be offered?All customers who had their phone numbers accessed will be offered a leading identity monitoring service for free. An identity monitoring service usually notifies individuals of any activity related to their personal information - such as credit applications and website updates - that could be signs of identity theft.Equifax says it will offer Equifax Protect for free to the 56,000 people who have had their driving license information, Equifax Protect is an identity protection service that monitors your personal data, including your credit information, and alerts you by email or SMS message to potential signs of fraudulent activity. Equifax also says products and services from third-party organisations will also be offered at no cost to consumers.

Thanks, I'll do that.
Another ambulance chaser just making things more expensive for the rest of us
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants