Clay for detailing cars, (which types have you tried & recommend).?

Posted 16th Sep
Context: I hate cleaning cars, however I have bought a DAS multispeed Kestrel unit with some Meguiars jollop of varying types to wash then clay a car or two prior to getting frisky with the polisher.

I understand the micro abrasive aspect of the different types (ie, ability to lift heavier / more detritus, vs the professional variety which can leave marring) ..clearly the professional stuff is not for me!

There are various generic brands on ebay purporting to be 3M (yeah right) which I "assume" are the synthetic variety!?

But, any good nonetheless.

Therefore anyone who dotes on their vehicles like I ought, please jump in with some experience & advice.

I have one issue for consideration, one of the vehicles is a smart car, so tridion shell but plastic body panels.

I have a big (halfords deal of Maguiars gold shampoo which I understand can be watered down in a spray bottle to assist the clay in order to reduce sticking tack whilst being worked over the panels.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

18 Comments
I clay my car at least once a year depending on the 'feel' and look of my paintwork.
I honestly cannot tell the difference between the expensive clay bars and the cheaper ones on amazon for example.
In terms of lubricating the panels or clay, I use a bucket of clean water with a small amount of the proper shampoo used to actually wash the car and I just keep wetting it as it dries. It doesn't have to be a hard slog where there is pain for the gain. Keep rubbing until it feels friction free.
After doing that, use a microfiber cloth to clean any clay residue off (not usually much) and get waxing/polishing.

Washing the car, I used a snow cannon from pro kleen with their shampoo.
I use Bilt Hamber for polishing.
Not too expensive and only needs to be used sparingly for a great finish with results lasting up to 6 months.
Edited by: "Holte_ender" 16th Sep
I just used the best value clay bars I could find off Amazon.

I didn't follow the instructions the first time I used it and scratched the hell out of my car, lucky it was only worth £600.
This time i was very careful, but the only reason I got it was to remove specs of paint that an idiot neighbour managed to put over the majority of my car.

I don't think it matters what shampoo you use with the clay bar - as long as it is lubricated, and folded regularly so you don't scrape the dirt over the car that you just cleaned off.
I use Bilt Hamber clay, it's been pretty good and it's not too expensive.
cheers folks, ..would you go for the cheapo stuff purporting to be 3M on ebay? (180 -200g for around £5) as a first time try out along with a more reputable brand name?

(2 for Bilt ..duly noted).

Water pressure is so low that a pressure washer is not going to work (stop start due to continuity of the loop that gives my neighbours water pressure but not us).

Will be bucket wash as a result.
Will order some Bilt "regular" for first time clay virgins & take it from there!
Thanks again, spent too many hours reading up on detailer sites that served to confuse a simple question.
Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 16th Sep
Bilt Hamber Auto Clay. Pay around a tenner and you get 4 uses out of it. I try to do it every 6 months and use it with a warm bucket of warm water with Fairy liquid. I only use it before I'll polish and wax it anyway, so not too fussed about the Fairy stripping off the last coat of protection.
I use the bilt hamber and just use water as I believe that’s what’s recommended.
snoopy1816/09/2019 15:46

I use the bilt hamber and just use water as I believe that’s what’s rec …I use the bilt hamber and just use water as I believe that’s what’s recommended.

Same method here. piece of Clay bar in one hand, hose pipe on a low setting in the other hand keeping a constant flow of water running over the area as I Clay it. simpler than using a bucket I find.
I use bilt hamber and quick detailer for the lube. Meguirs usually as i am not fussed and it is easy to find at halfords.
Another vote for Bilt Hamber.
whitebook16/09/2019 13:46

I use Bilt Hamber clay, it's been pretty good and it's not too expensive.

Bilt Hamber is the best but buy the medium one, hard one is very hard to work with.
You can use just water
If you are looking at polishing have a look at the scholl s20
adamderak16/09/2019 22:06

Bilt Hamber is the best but buy the medium one, hard one is very hard to …Bilt Hamber is the best but buy the medium one, hard one is very hard to work with.You can use just water

Agree, if you get the hard one or your working out in the cold I usually stick it in hot water to soften it a bit before and in between using it.
Cheers all, ordered for delivery tomorrow
Plumbers putty

38476278-97Vj0.jpg38476278-TX2fg.jpg
Edited by: "ddk69" 17th Sep
interesting comparison, not knowing whats in plumbers putty I am interested but wary, worth investigating though.
I remember years ago a guy who worked in a bodyshop told me they used blutack.
Mr_Gus17/09/2019 13:17

interesting comparison, not knowing whats in plumbers putty I am …interesting comparison, not knowing whats in plumbers putty I am interested but wary, worth investigating though.

I tried t cut before that but it didnt touch it.
You have to keep it wet all the time otherwise it sticks to the car.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants