clean chimney every year?

6 replies
Found 4th Sep 2016
I have a multi fuel stove with liner and top cage to stop birds nesting, burnt logs and scrap wood for 3 years, burnt only clean dry briquettes last year and will do same this coming year. I get the chimney cleaned every year, but does it really need it every year only use it on evenings and weekends don't feel we use it enough to need cleaning every year won't once every two years bue ok now we use super dry briquettes and only use evenings and weekends?

1. Ask
  2. Cleaning
6 Comments

I'd clean every year.

But then again I have an old webcam that I put up our chimneys from time to time just to verify the condition of the liner.

I guess I'd ask how big the liner is - I'd be more cautious with a small liner.
Edited by: "mas99" 4th Sep 2016

Get a set of brushes for £40 and sweep it every 6 months yourself.

If your going to have a log burner at least do it properly.

Original Poster

mas99

I'd clean every year.But then again I have an old webcam that I put up … I'd clean every year.But then again I have an old webcam that I put up our chimneys from time to time just to verify the condition of the liner.I guess I'd ask how big the liner is - I'd be more cautious with a small liner.

Not sure the size of liner I'm afraid, might have the installation bill which denotes the size
Edited by: "potatokid" 4th Sep 2016

I usually get mine done every 2 years, as recommended by my chimney sweep. Only difference is I have a open fire, only use dry wood and smokeless coal. Again like yourself it's only used now and again.

I user to have a log burner and we got it cleaned every year. For the small costs it was, in my opinion better to be safe than sorry.

Original Poster

ipswich78

I user to have a log burner and we got it cleaned every year. For the … I user to have a log burner and we got it cleaned every year. For the small costs it was, in my opinion better to be safe than sorry.

Evouk

I usually get mine done every 2 years, as recommended by my chimney … I usually get mine done every 2 years, as recommended by my chimney sweep. Only difference is I have a open fire, only use dry wood and smokeless coal. Again like yourself it's only used now and again.

Well its £79 for a sweep, clean and respray but it looks perfect so spray would be useless and glass spotless, might have to do just for sweep.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I thought the 'Dementia tax' had gone for good,apparently not.46
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769433
    3. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…18226641
    4. UNDERTALE PS4 / PS Vita / PC Physical Editions (Exclusive to Fangamer)33

See more discussions