Clean dirty grout with bleach

Found 26th Sep 2013
Thought this may be handy for anyone who doesn't already know. You can clean grimey bathroom tiles grout, especially in the shower with bleach and it will come back white.

How cool is that? I only found this out recently. Previously I tried to clean it with Fairy washing up liquid with very limited success.
Community Updates
MiscBleach
68 Comments
I always do this. The only thing I worry about is that we have silicon in the bathroom around the window etc and I think the bleach may damage it.
Steve Mac

I always do this. The only thing I worry about is that we have silicon in … I always do this. The only thing I worry about is that we have silicon in the bathroom around the window etc and I think the bleach may damage it.

from googling it looks like bleach does not harm silicone.
What kind of bleach do you use?
reddit

What kind of bleach do you use?

apparently the bleach we have is the best, cillit bang. here's a video of me doing it. ha ha. X)

youtube.com/wat…1vE
Breaking news! Bleach actually bleaches stuff shocker!
ei8hty5ive

Breaking news! Bleach actually bleaches stuff shocker!

i know, but not a lot of people know that. X)
Bleach is great for everything! Be careful though and check if the grout is porous or non porous....we had lovely floor tiles in one house in the bathroom and I used to mop the floors with diluted bleach....it sent the grouting stuff crumbly and grey
Instructions too complicated.

Tongue stuck in ceiling fan
sancho1983

Instructions too complicated.Tongue stuck in ceiling fan

you must not have gone beyond the advert! X)
bunny_boiler

Bleach is great for everything! Be careful though and check if the grout … Bleach is great for everything! Be careful though and check if the grout is porous or non porous....we had lovely floor tiles in one house in the bathroom and I used to mop the floors with diluted bleach....it sent the grouting stuff crumbly and grey

for sure, including trying to kill oneself. X)
mutley1

for sure, including trying to kill oneself. X)

Fancy a cuppa?
sancho1983

Instructions too complicated.Tongue stuck in ceiling fan

http://31.media.tumblr.com/d0f0f5205b1b1b74dc7c05b0d01464d0/tumblr_mtnks5imSM1r3gb3zo1_400.gif
I have an electric wallpaper stripper - I fill that, let it start steaming merrily and then use the hose (not attached to the wallpaper stripping plate) as a high pressure steam jet to attack the grubby grout. Gets it super clean and it lasts a decent length of time too.
i actually used to try and sand the yellow stuff out of the grout with sand paper. helps a little but that was all it did.

then i tried to put new grout on top of the old grout. doesn't work properly as there is no groove for the new grout to sit. this way is so much easier and very effective.
If you want to refresh the silicone around the bath area and the bleach just runs off it, get a piece of toilet tissue and roll it up and soak in neat bleach then press into position along the silicone with a spoon handle or something and leave for 10 mins or until the bleach works on the silicone. The paper will remain in situ and the bleach will work its magic. Also works with limescale remover placed on taps overnight.
I've used Milton on the silicone around my bath and it worked a treat.
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/512814/surprised-cat-o.gif

pink-ka

I've used Milton on the silicone around my bath and it worked a treat.

what's milton? i have never heard of it.
Milton sterilising fluid, you use it to clean counter tops and sterilising baby bottles etc. can be found down the baby aisle. you dilute it with water.
I'm rubbish at cleaning and tidying up, I just take forever doing these kind of tasks but I think most people would know about this.

If cleaning is done more often then it stops anywhere getting so dirty, greasy, slimy or whatever else and then it cut the time anyone would have to spending doing tasks and going crazy hard at it. Again it's like buying really expensive cleaning products, cheaper ones can be used effectively if you don't allow the muck to build up in first place and you regularly wipe areas over.
mutley1

Its a sterilising fluid, I've only ever heard of it to be used for baby bottles but a builder i know told me about using it for getting rid of the black on my silicone and it worked better than when I put neat bleach on it.
mutley1

Wow you never heard of Milton ?
Mum2ConnornCerys

Wow you never heard of Milton ?

this is mutley, had never heard of bleach cleaning stuff either
This is pretty good stuff

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/510atAZu2oL._SL1209_.jpg
The above is good but expensive compared to bleach and milton. I'd try them first.
Toptrumpet

The above is good but expensive compared to bleach and milton. I'd try … The above is good but expensive compared to bleach and milton. I'd try them first.

Yeah but Mutley will pay the extra, I just know he will

/because I do
Can't believe thread about bleach cleaning bathroom oO ...X)
fuzzydunlop

Can't believe thread about bleach cleaning bathroom oO ...X)

That's misc for you. Well now the thread is up and people have some top tips for products perhaps I could have a volunteer to clean my bathroom this weekend ?

On another note, the worst task in the house for me is ironing.
Joey Bloggsy

This is pretty good stuff

I've used this and it's the best stuff I've used to remove mould. Be warned its potent. Make sure you wear a mask in a well vented room.
Mum2ConnornCerys

That's misc for you. Well now the thread is up and people have some top … That's misc for you. Well now the thread is up and people have some top tips for products perhaps I could have a volunteer to clean my bathroom this weekend ? On another note, the worst task in the house for me is ironing.

Snap, I can't stand ironing, I leave it till there's a massive pile, its a good job my kids have loads of clothes, I mainly iron stuff when it's needed and do the big pile once a month oO I got blisters on my hand last time I did the big pile.
pink-ka

Snap, I can't stand ironing, I leave it till there's a massive pile, its … Snap, I can't stand ironing, I leave it till there's a massive pile, its a good job my kids have loads of clothes, I mainly iron stuff when it's needed and do the big pile once a month oO I got blisters on my hand last time I did the big pile.

Once a month? you must be at it ages, usually I spend about 90mins at it maybe a weeks worth takes that long. It worst job going because you just stand there. There is a pile waiting at moment, it wait till weekend as I can't even be bothered doing it tomorrow. Had more important things to do this week like visiting secondary schools open evenings and more to go round yet.
Seriously, someone didn't realise bleach could make former white stuff whiter :O
D_G

That don't 'arf look like that pic of you that you've posted before D_G! Are you trying to show your talents off to the ladies in the cleaning thread?
pink-ka

Snap, I can't stand ironing, I leave it till there's a massive pile, its … Snap, I can't stand ironing, I leave it till there's a massive pile, its a good job my kids have loads of clothes, I mainly iron stuff when it's needed and do the big pile once a month oO I got blisters on my hand last time I did the big pile.

I don't bother ironing unless it desperately needs it... except bedding I usually iron but haven't recently as couldn't be bothered lol.
Dehumanization

I don't bother ironing unless it desperately needs it... except bedding I … I don't bother ironing unless it desperately needs it... except bedding I usually iron but haven't recently as couldn't be bothered lol.

I iron once a month. Do tops one evening and trousers the next evening as I have too many clothes!! X)
fern37

That tongue reminds me of thishttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXpyo10fwwo

Floor suck! (And you're filthy, Fern...)
I've found that the most effective cleaner in the bathroom, kitchen and all around the house is my wife.
Mark2111

I've found that the most effective cleaner in the bathroom, kitchen and … I've found that the most effective cleaner in the bathroom, kitchen and all around the house is my wife.

I'd like that, but I thought my comment was sailing close to the wind of getting FEMEN on my back. Or was I hoping for that?
http://i44.tinypic.com/33lovva.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants