Clean Install Windows 10

Found 22nd Nov 2017
I made a USB stick with Windows 10 on it from the MS site about 8 months ago so I could clean install windows.

I've tonight used it to clean install windows on my laptop. Is this ok, or should I have downloaded windows 10 again into a USB so it had all the updates, or doesn't it matter?

I've just begun the install process.

Thks

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
13 Comments

doesnt matter - you'll just get the updates at the end.

Be sure to plug the computer into the router/connect to WiFi during setup and the Windows installer will offer to fetch the latest version/updates.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 22nd Nov 2017

If your laptop was brand new you may have issues, otherwise it'll be fine.

SUMMONER45 m ago

Be sure to plug the computer into the router/connect to WiFi during setup …Be sure to plug the computer into the router/connect to WiFi during setup and the Windows installer will offer to fetch the latest version/updates.

I would say disconnect your router, especially if you plan to disable the telemetry leaks and other phone home features.
That's just me.

Original Poster

I've had to shutdown after it downloaded updates and as it was saying 'preparing to install updates'. Will they just continue to install when I turn it back on or is this a bad idea?

It should be fine. I personally would have created a new bootable usb so you had the latest build with all updates. Would have just been quicker and less hassle than all that downloading new build and updates.

Original Poster

AirbusA3806 h, 41 m ago

It should be fine. I personally would have created a new bootable usb so …It should be fine. I personally would have created a new bootable usb so you had the latest build with all updates. Would have just been quicker and less hassle than all that downloading new build and updates.

Would you recommend doing it again then?

superfreddy1 h, 30 m ago

Would you recommend doing it again then?

Me personally yes, but I guess it’s down to preference. Nothing wrong with doing it your way, it just may take longer because of the additional builds and updates. Using Microsoft’s media creation tool will download the latest 1709 build.

Original Poster

AirbusA38022 h, 36 m ago

Me personally yes, but I guess it’s down to preference. Nothing wrong with …Me personally yes, but I guess it’s down to preference. Nothing wrong with doing it your way, it just may take longer because of the additional builds and updates. Using Microsoft’s media creation tool will download the latest 1709 build.

Even if I've now installed all the updates anyway?

superfreddy13 m ago

Even if I've now installed all the updates anyway?

If you have all the updates then no what’s the point? Are you on build 1709?

Original Poster

AirbusA38014 h, 4 m ago

If you have all the updates then no what’s the point? Are you on build 1 …If you have all the updates then no what’s the point? Are you on build 1709?

No, 1607 it says

That’s just a little out of date. You would be best starting again to be honest.

Original Poster

AirbusA38057 m ago

That’s just a little out of date. You would be best starting again to be h …That’s just a little out of date. You would be best starting again to be honest.

Ok I've done it.

I thought it would have automatically updated to that with ms updates
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions