Cleaning contact lenses

Found 16th Feb
Hi,

I am new to contact lenses and was looking for information on how to look after/clean them. I came across the information below and was wondering if that is the correct way of doing it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Ensure your hands are washed, clean and dry.

• Fill each chamber of your contact lens case with fresh contact lens disinfecting solution.

• Begin with the same eye every time you put in or remove your contact lenses. This way you won’t mix them up.

• Always clean your contact lenses immediately after you remove them.

• Place the lens in the clean, dry palm of your hand.

• Apply a few drops of the prescribed contact lens disinfecting solution.

• With one finger gently rub the lens back and forth on your palm to clean the lens surfaces.

• Rinse your lens thoroughly with a few more drops of the prescribed solution.
Community Updates
AskHealth & Beauty
15 Comments
Yes that’s how the optician tell you to do it though not sure about the daily ones.
eslick21 m ago

Yes that’s how the optician tell you to do it though not sure about the d …Yes that’s how the optician tell you to do it though not sure about the daily ones.

But wouldn't rubbing them with your fingers cause the oil/sebum on your fingers to transfer to the lens?
Dailies wouldn't need cleaning at all since they are a daily disposable lens.

As long as the lens fluid is changed every time they are used, they don't need rubbing either as they are soaked for prolonged periods of time.

I wouldn't rub them at all as that can cause weaknesses and can result in lenses splitting in your eye.
DevilsReaper12 m ago

But wouldn't rubbing them with your fingers cause the oil/sebum on your …But wouldn't rubbing them with your fingers cause the oil/sebum on your fingers to transfer to the lens?

its not exactly rubbing just moving your finger over the lenses with the solution, solution is in contact and then you rinse again.
Been wearing soft lenses (monthlies) for 20+ years and have never cleaned them when I've taken them out, wash my hands take them out, pop them in the case (with solution) give the case a bit of a shake, next day I put them in the palm of my hand give them a squirt of solution and a bit of a rub, put the lens on my finger, a drop more solution to make them easier to get in and pop them in.
FFS. Please please please GO TO AN OPTICIAN.

The post suggests you have bought something online from a firm who have f*ck all in the way of eye care standards and are more interested in selling than your eyesight. If you had been to an optician, you would not have to ask this question. How did you even get a scrip?

If you have been to an optician and you still need this advice then report them and don't touch them again.

Using contact lenses incorrectly is not good news.

preventblindness.org/wea…ses
improveeyesighthq.com/con…tml
ccnp7 m ago

FFS. Please please please GO TO AN OPTICIAN. The post suggests you have …FFS. Please please please GO TO AN OPTICIAN. The post suggests you have bought something online from a firm who have f*ck all in the way of eye care standards and are more interested in selling than your eyesight. If you had been to an optician, you would not have to ask this question. How did you even get a scrip? If you have been to an optician and you still need this advice then report them and don't touch them again.Using contact lenses incorrectly is not good news.https://www.preventblindness.org/wearing-contact-lenseshttps://www.improveeyesighthq.com/contact-lens-wearer.html

Maybe he has and is just curious what other people have been told?

I doubt all opticians give the exact same advice (they should though)
ccnp10 m ago

FFS. Please please please GO TO AN OPTICIAN. The post suggests you have …FFS. Please please please GO TO AN OPTICIAN. The post suggests you have bought something online from a firm who have f*ck all in the way of eye care standards and are more interested in selling than your eyesight. If you had been to an optician, you would not have to ask this question. How did you even get a scrip? If you have been to an optician and you still need this advice then report them and don't touch them again.Using contact lenses incorrectly is not good news.https://www.preventblindness.org/wearing-contact-lenseshttps://www.improveeyesighthq.com/contact-lens-wearer.html

I did go to specsavers and have my prescription with them. I was on trial with them and during this period they did not mention I have to rub them to clean them. All i was told was wash your hands, take out lens, put them in the case with the solution. When popping back in , wash hands and just slot them back in your eye

I did find cheaper options online and while browsing I came across various information on cleaning lenses which is why I asked here.
DevilsReaper25 m ago

I did go to specsavers and have my prescription with them. I was on trial …I did go to specsavers and have my prescription with them. I was on trial with them and during this period they did not mention I have to rub them to clean them. All i was told was wash your hands, take out lens, put them in the case with the solution. When popping back in , wash hands and just slot them back in your eyeI did find cheaper options online and while browsing I came across various information on cleaning lenses which is why I asked here.

Specsavers have let you down. A decent Optician will not let you take contacts away until you have been through the whole process in front of their eyes and they have confidence you know what you are doing. There are many types of lens and as many different regimes for cleaning/wearing them. Did they even tell you to build up wear time slowly and what the maximum wear time is (quite separate to not sleeping in them)? They should also have given you a limited supply and asked you to come back for a check up in 7 or 14 days.

I suggest you contact their head office and raise a formal complaint. That should get you your money back and you can then go to a decent local optician recommended by fellow contact wearers and spend the money there.

Its a subject close to my heart as I had a friend who went down the cheap and cheerful route and now has vision in one eye.
ccnp13 m ago

Specsavers have let you down. A decent Optician will not let you take …Specsavers have let you down. A decent Optician will not let you take contacts away until you have been through the whole process in front of their eyes and they have confidence you know what you are doing. There are many types of lens and as many different regimes for cleaning/wearing them. Did they even tell you to build up wear time slowly and what the maximum wear time is (quite separate to not sleeping in them)? They should also have given you a limited supply and asked you to come back for a check up in 7 or 14 days.I suggest you contact their head office and raise a formal complaint. That should get you your money back and you can then go to a decent local optician recommended by fellow contact wearers and spend the money there.Its a subject close to my heart as I had a friend who went down the cheap and cheerful route and now has vision in one eye.

Didn't mention anything about wear time, didn't know there was such a thing. There is no money involved as it was a free trial and i opted not to buy from them. I did go back for a check up and all they asked was how i got on and then asked if i wanted to purchase some on a monthly basis via direct debit.

Sorry to hear about your friend. I have bought some Air optix monthly ones from feelgoodcontacts but I have been searching for daily ones as I think they would be more safe but I can't find any at a decent price.
DevilsReaper13 m ago

Didn't mention anything about wear time, didn't know there was such a …Didn't mention anything about wear time, didn't know there was such a thing. There is no money involved as it was a free trial and i opted not to buy from them. I did go back for a check up and all they asked was how i got on and then asked if i wanted to purchase some on a monthly basis via direct debit.Sorry to hear about your friend. I have bought some Air optix monthly ones from feelgoodcontacts but I have been searching for daily ones as I think they would be more safe but I can't find any at a decent price.

The best place I found for contact lenses was visiondirect.co.uk/

use code SURPRISE for 10% off
Lenstore.
Get quidco
Owned by vision express so get FREE eye tests and aftercare too

No excuses
regretful116 m ago

The best place I found for contact lenses was …The best place I found for contact lenses was https://www.visiondirect.co.uk/ use code SURPRISE for 10% off

Thanks for that. I am looking for toric ones with left eye axis at 130. Struggling to find any at a decent price
Edited by: "DevilsReaper" 16th Feb
I clean mine in the same way as your method except for the last step, I don't give them another squirt after rubbing them, I put them in the case and give it a little shake after I've done both eyes. I'd say the only other slight difference is about drying your hands - I wash my hands before taking them out but don't use a towel to dry them as you'll get fibres and dirt off it, I just give my hands a shake so they're damp when I take them out (or put them in).

Also been wearing them for around 20 years, the only problem is I used to doze off in them and you don't want to do that as one got slightly stuck to my eye many years ago and that hurt for a couple of days after I got it out, they seem to dry onto your eyes a bit.

Aaron above, aftercare is important too, make sure you get checked every year or so. And just to add, I use Boots, always have (lenses aren't boots branded) as does my brother - he tried a sample of the specsavers lenses and he said they didn't compare to the boots offerings, boots ones were much more comfortable. But of course, that's subjective.
I think you're actually safer drying them. Tap water can contain microorganisms that are certainly not compatible with your eyes.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants