Expired

Cleaning dust inside a late 2013 macbook pro

Found 19th Dec 2017
I’ve had it since 2013 and dont think its ever been opened. Recently ive noticed it gets hot + loud. Id like to give a good clean inside out, but never ventured down that route. Anyone know what i would need and what to be aware of?

I know I need a p5 pentalobe screwdriver + some canned air, anything else to get a great result?

Cheers

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
9 Comments

I think the cleaning slime would be a good idea.

amazon.co.uk/Cle…EDQ

That is just an example of what it looks like, you can buy it everywhere.

You can buy those pc air blowers for around £30 off amazon. I use mine to clear out my AIO liquid cooler so should empty a laptop easily.

I might have the same Pro as yourself and my fan seemed to gave up a good while ago and I've been manually using SMC fan app to keep the laptop right.

From what I read at the time, it's likely the cooling glue (thermal paste) has eroded away and the brackets need a fresh going over.

I took the panel off mine, got the canned air in at it and followed a tutorial of cleaning it out from YouTube but sadly to no benefit.

Original Poster

madeofbraille4 h, 9 m ago

I might have the same Pro as yourself and my fan seemed to gave up a good …I might have the same Pro as yourself and my fan seemed to gave up a good while ago and I've been manually using SMC fan app to keep the laptop right.From what I read at the time, it's likely the cooling glue (thermal paste) has eroded away and the brackets need a fresh going over.I took the panel off mine, got the canned air in at it and followed a tutorial of cleaning it out from YouTube but sadly to no benefit.

So you noticed no improvements in temp/fan noise at all? What a shane

Some canned air contains a little moisture so be cautious, Check reviews first.

Also, on the canned Air. I would avoid if possible as you can't guarantee where you are blowing it. I use a toner vac to suck dust and debris from devices rather than blowing. If you have a suitable hoover attachment you could try that.

Can't help on the mac front as I am a Windows guy. Good luck.

Original Poster

Rusty8246 m ago

Also, on the canned Air. I would avoid if possible as you can't guarantee …Also, on the canned Air. I would avoid if possible as you can't guarantee where you are blowing it. I use a toner vac to suck dust and debris from devices rather than blowing. If you have a suitable hoover attachment you could try that.Can't help on the mac front as I am a Windows guy. Good luck.

Doesnt using a vacuum cause some problem with static or so ive read.

Ideally you shouldn't blow or draw air into/out of it, however if you left it in a tech shop that's exactly what they'd do.

The only benefits I've read are replacing the coolant paste.

My temp is seldom below 50, easily gets up to 65/70 doing what seems like the same tasks. I just use the fan on full blast, (6400) for a few mins to bring my numbers back down to the 40s, it may sound like a balls but bar the noise of the fan for a few mins, it's a pain free way to keep on top of things.

ukting2 h, 8 m ago

Doesnt using a vacuum cause some problem with static or so ive read.

Not sure about that, I've certainly never had any issue with using a toner vac, which is designed to suck toner out of printers primarily. I've never had a laptop that has been dusty/dirty enough to have to hoover I must add. Mainly used on high volume peripherals.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions