Groups

Clearing frost off a car

Can anyone advise ? I need to clear frost off a car's paint work as trying to sell it and buyers want to check for scratches/dints. What is the best way to clear it off the paint work ?

30 Comments

Kettle and a microfibre drying cloth or a hair dryer

July

oddballjamie

Kettle and a microfibre drying cloth or a hair dryer

When you turn very cold to very hot, damage can occur. Be careful doing things like this!!

I would personally go and get it washed in an auto wash before they come to look at it. This will get most of it off I think. -

Anti-freeze?
    Get the spray from poundland.

Wash it.

sickly sweet

Anti-freeze?Get the spray from poundland.

I hope you mean de-icer? Anti-freeze will strip paint lol

oddballjamie

I hope you mean de-icer? Anti-freeze will strip paint lol

Lol, yeah, that's the one!

Original Poster

aircanman

When you turn very cold to very hot, damage can occur. Be careful doing … When you turn very cold to very hot, damage can occur. Be careful doing things like this!! I would personally go and get it washed in an auto wash before they come to look at it. This will get most of it off I think. -

This is the best way although the temperature it is at the moment, it is turning to ice nearly straight away - -15 this morning !!

Original Poster

ei8hty5ive

Wash it.

you end up with a layer of ice ?

**** on it

aircanman

When you turn very cold to very hot, damage can occur. Be careful doing … When you turn very cold to very hot, damage can occur. Be careful doing things like this!! I would personally go and get it washed in an auto wash before they come to look at it. This will get most of it off I think. -

I use a kettle on mine every morning and its fine, as long as its not too hot its fine.
    I also recommend against auto washers as they cause damage to wheels and paint work.

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

Go for a drive with the heater full on

how long would it take ? 30 mins ?

Or if you have a garage or can use a friends garage for the night, problem solved

Original Poster

Should all these people who are leaving the country on holiday be paid when they can't return to work due to bad weather - I don't think so ?
    Edited by: "james02" 21st Dec 2010

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

depends how good your heater is

good

james02

how long would it take ? 30 mins ?

It would take a long time to get the body work warmed up enough to melt ice, I could only see this working on windows and the bonnet.

Just thought, a cheap all over car cover may work too.

They are noise insulated though (and some are heat insulated to cut down on air con use), seriously can you see a cars heaters getting a car warm enough to melt ice from the boot or rear quarter panels?

I've heard using a neighbours cat works lol

Original Poster

richx45

I've heard using a neighbours cat works lol

they are also useful for putting under your tyres over night to prevent it slipping forward on the ice

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

going by the number of cars being driven around with no frost on, yes

I think this depends on where in the country you are currently driving, where we are it is -15 and everyone's car has frost on all day and night

Mine's been driven for half hour at a time, three times in last 2 days - and it's still got ice on it

I'd be inclined to wave a hair dryer over it just before they turn up - no risk of further scratches then

Banned

waterloo

**** on it

how will poo help?

Zer0Cool

how will poo help?

it's warm?

Banned

r4ge

it's warm?

might be best to have a curry first, then you can wipe it all over the car

Napalm?

bucket of luke warm soapy water and sponge.... ( not hot as it may crack screen or damage paint )

Run it through a petrol station car wash? Just a theory as I've never tried it myself, but it might work.

sell it as a special new ice coated paint job , tell em everybody is doing it around here.

Original Poster

dxx

Run it through a petrol station car wash? Just a theory as I've never … Run it through a petrol station car wash? Just a theory as I've never tried it myself, but it might work.

I would if it wasn't frozen !
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767257
      2. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17826370
      3. Lets hope that there are as few injuries as possible - Parson's Green40214
      4. Quidco and new IPAD 'Prevent Cross-Site Tracking'11

See more discussions