Expired

Cloakroom Suite refit. I now have the quote. Could anyone help as to whether this is value for money? Help!!!

Found 9th Sep 2013
Quote for new toilet sink small unit, splashback and floor tiles. Supply and fit.
Community Updates
Ask
25 Comments
How much have you been quoted?
How many days work have they quoted? Is all the sanitary ware staying in the same place as previously? Depends on what make of sanitary ware too. How much were you quoted? Also what part of the country are you in as prices will vary.
Original Poster
Central Scotland. 1150. Nothing is changing that much really other than the radiator being ripped out and a towel rail in its place but he says he aint doing that until the 'big bathroom' job which will require similar, but he wants the money the day of the work and I dunno if I'm just getting nervy or whether he could really be taking me for a bit of a ride. It wont take more than 1 day for just him, it's just a downstairs toilet with a sink and a unit, it's tiny! Not een that much tiling, about 10 tiles behind the sink, I had the rest stripped and repainted in the last couple of months.
For one days labour, I would say around £200 to £250. The price of a toilet, basin and unit will depend on the make but around £900 sounds quite expensive. Getting paid on the day of completion sounds normal, just make sure he has completed the work before you pay him instead of money up front.
A grand sounds like a lot.

Why not get a quote from another (couple) of tradesman?
Sounds horrific to me (what you are asking for is my trade). Also there is no way that could be done in a single day as he would have to lay the tiles first then install the china, but the tiles will need to go off first (overnight).
nhoops

For one days labour, I would say around £200 to £250. The price of a t … For one days labour, I would say around £200 to £250. The price of a toilet, basin and unit will depend on the make but around £900 sounds quite expensive. Getting paid on the day of completion sounds normal, just make sure he has completed the work before you pay him instead of money up front.

Tradesmen don't work like that on jobs like this do they, for large jobs a lot of them charge a lump sum rather than time based labour.
Original Poster
I asked him to break down the cost and he wasn't very willing. He expects to do this, my main bathroom an my kitchen but he's not replacing or redesiging the layout orchanging ideas I spose you could call it a tradesman refit of kitchen. when I said I had someone else quoting for the kitchen he got a bit stroppy 'he'll no do it cheaper than me like' I'm not entirely sure that's the point, I want the jobs done a) properly and b) not ripped off. Quite prepared to pay a wee bit more if its quality/decent work and I'm now having serious doubts about him. As you say that is a lot for the wee toilet and he's trying to say my kitchen would be 2.5k? so by my calcs since he's looking for about 9 to 9.5 k that means my bathroom will be over 6k! I'm no tradesman but I do know that kitchens are mre expensive and require more time, effort and labour. Nothin is adding up here
Move on and get another tradesman.

See if your council runs a Trusted Trader scheme and look on there. I know Renfrewshire do.
Edited by: "moob" 9th Sep 2013
Original Poster
They do but only if you are over 70 and can prove you cant do it yourself Moobs! :-/ But yeah I think I'm gonna go back to the drawing board. Cheap never means great, especially with important purchases such as these! Too many questions not been answered. Thanks for helping me tonight you guys K x
If he won't break down costs he's probably hiding something. Payment on day of completion is not normal practise IMO. When I finish, I invoice afterwards and payment a few days after. Gives you chance to see that the work is fine. What can happen is he gets paid up, something is wrong and he won't put it right you then have to pay again to have it put right.
Also you should get a minimum of 3 quotes for the same work.
Original Poster
Gonna take your advice and say I'm not comfortable with the quote and I need more time/opinions to make my mind up. Wont go down well but I wont be pressured into work when I have the doubts that I do. Thanks again guys and gals .....obviously it slows up any work starting but Its a lot of cash down the drain (no pun intended) if you choose incorrectly! K x
try sites like mybuilder.com, ratedpeople.com. just put in the details and a couple of pics and people will quote to do the work. it works better because each job requires feedback. so you can check up on the tradesman and they will have to be on good behavior.
also if hes awkward now and takes payment first how do u know how it will end.
plus i fit bathrooms and kitchens. its sounds a bit rich to me.
Original Poster
I have sent a text saying that I would like a breakdown per room and labour costs etc as I have had another designer round for the kitchen etc and now intend to do the same re the bathroom and wee toilet suite. I said no work would be getting agreed upon until I have clarity. Like most I am working on a budget but it's not mission impossible considering the funds (the bank) have given me and I expect quality and professionalism. Not willing to save some cash just to hire a cost cutter as they are major home improvements and I expect them to last given what they will cost to complete!

Edited by: "kitster1977" 10th Sep 2013
kitster1977

They do but only if you are over 70 and can prove you cant do it yourself … They do but only if you are over 70 and can prove you cant do it yourself Moobs! :-/ But yeah I think I'm gonna go back to the drawing board. Cheap never means great, especially with important purchases such as these! Too many questions not been answered. Thanks for helping me tonight you guys K x

Nah, the trusted trader scheme is about contractor approval. Folk hire someone via trading standards, once they've completed a job they review etc.

It's the safest way to hire anyone.
Original Poster
Ah right, never knew that Moobs! It's a total minefield for sure. i need that wee Brian the robot ...he's very cute and I'm very much confused :-(
aircanman

Tradesmen don't work like that on jobs like this do they, for large jobs … Tradesmen don't work like that on jobs like this do they, for large jobs a lot of them charge a lump sum rather than time based labour.

Sorry, I should have explained a little better. When calculating a quote it comprises of the labour element of the job (ie how long it will take and what you will charge for your time) and the cost of the parts. The labour side of the job for one days work I would imagine would be somewhere between £200 and £250. The total cost for his estimate was £1150 so this means that (working on my estimate for labour) the parts were costing around £900. This would be a 'lump sum' but broken down into labour and parts, whereas a smaller job would probably be charged per hour/half hour and not at a fixed 'lump sum' price.

So, yes you are right in thinking that it would be a 'lump sum' rather than on an hourly/half hourly rate.

Hubby and I run our own plumbing/gas business so I do plenty of quotes for bathrooms/cloakrooms etc!
Original Poster
I have made my decision. Local company but he came round last night and spent ages (defo over an hour just discussing kitchen ideas and how we could create more space and make it ideal. They do bathrooms as well (never knew that then) so I got on so well with him we shared ideas etc and I know I will get what I want with his firm! He now has all 3 room on his hands...Budget permitting there mayb need to be be a compromise here or there but he's high spec high quality and a lovey bloke to do business with. It was charming of the other to text back saying 'you are a nightmare' One spent 80 minutes in my kitchen you spent 2! Who is the nightmare? I may have a few about what you coud have left me with!!!! Lucky escape! Very happy, I will update in due ourse. Thanks for all your suggestions folks they have really helped me decide on my route xxxx
nhoops

Sorry, I should have explained a little better. When calculating a quote … Sorry, I should have explained a little better. When calculating a quote it comprises of the labour element of the job (ie how long it will take and what you will charge for your time) and the cost of the parts. The labour side of the job for one days work I would imagine would be somewhere between £200 and £250. The total cost for his estimate was £1150 so this means that (working on my estimate for labour) the parts were costing around £900. This would be a 'lump sum' but broken down into labour and parts, whereas a smaller job would probably be charged per hour/half hour and not at a fixed 'lump sum' price.So, yes you are right in thinking that it would be a 'lump sum' rather than on an hourly/half hourly rate.Hubby and I run our own plumbing/gas business so I do plenty of quotes for bathrooms/cloakrooms etc!

I wouldn't bother with him - he tries to come across as though he knows everything, but he's pretty clueless and a troll.
kitster1977

I have made my decision. Local company but he came round last night and … I have made my decision. Local company but he came round last night and spent ages (defo over an hour just discussing kitchen ideas and how we could create more space and make it ideal. They do bathrooms as well (never knew that then) so I got on so well with him we shared ideas etc and I know I will get what I want with his firm! He now has all 3 room on his hands...Budget permitting there mayb need to be be a compromise here or there but he's high spec high quality and a lovey bloke to do business with. It was charming of the other to text back saying 'you are a nightmare' One spent 80 minutes in my kitchen you spent 2! Who is the nightmare? I may have a few about what you coud have left me with!!!! Lucky escape! Very happy, I will update in due ourse. Thanks for all your suggestions folks they have really helped me decide on my route xxxx

Ensure you make a few enquiries about this guy first before handing him thousands. There are many charming rogue traders out there!

Call trading standards at the very least - but ask to see pictures of his work etc - see if there are any online reviews etc.
Original Poster
Yea cheers Moob, he's done a lot of work for the mum of a good mate.. I kimda wrote him off thinking well out my budget/league but he's not! I probably wont have ant change (erm lo one!) but his work is custom made and quality and if I can afford it? I am doin my bit to keep a local business going, It's not as if IKEA will die without me! I get your point though I will be careful and much for your advice and information, you have been very helpful xxxx
Edited by: "kitster1977" 10th Sep 2013
You're welcome. Sounds like you're sorted.
hukkers to the rescue again!!!!

one of the many reasons i love this place
Original Poster
Yeah I think that too ENIGMA, like any forum there's always a bit of bitching and trolling but I have found some great deals on here and as I've already mentioned, it is a great source of advice and information. If you have a question? There is always someone who cares enough to give you options and opinions! This is the company I am going for. Wish me luck boys and girls! :-D lol kxxx

kitchenandbedroomstudioscotland.co.uk/

Edited by: "kitster1977" 11th Sep 2013
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants