Clogged dust particulate filter warning light coming on.

Posted 16th Oct 2021
I recently bought a Citroen C4 Picasso, diesel, 2011 car - this one has a dust particulate filter fitted (my last diesel - Citroen Xsarra Picasso didn't have one). I usually run it around town, to work and school drop-offs, etc. However, I do drive it down the motorway twice a week - about 24 miles each way per journey.

I've read that if the light comes on, I have to drive the car at a high speed, lower gear for around 20 minutes or more down the motorway, or similar. The first time that I tried this, it seemed to sort the issue out, as I believe that a regeneration took place, where it burns off the excess soot. However, the same message has come up twice again over the past couple of weeks.

I'm just wondering if using the more expensive diesel would help - I always use the standard cheaper diesel? I'm also looking at additives such as a diesel particulate filter cleaner (maybe this one - STP GST66200EN Diesel Particulate Filter Cleaner 200 ml - this one says it is for regular or bio-diesel, so does that mean it can't be used with a super diesel, the more expensive type?), which claim to unclog blocked DP filters and help particularly for cars used for city driving.

I'm just wondering if changing to the higher priced diesel and/or using an additive would actually help with this issue? I'm not sure if the additive would be required if using the other diesel, as I don't know if it has additives built into it. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Community Updates
Ask
Discussions

39 Comments