Cloned Car Number Plate... any advice

Found 4th Oct 2012
My father-in-law rung today to say that he's had a ticket in the post for driving in a bus lane in Leeds. Came with a photo of same style car as his, with same number plate. He's never driven in Leeds in his life!! Can't think of any explanation other than somebody getting a plate made up the same as his to get out of paying their tax/insurance etc - any other suggestions to motive?

He's contacted the police who said they'll look into it and (he thinks) tell Leeds Council. He's posted a letter to DVLA telling them about it, and he's tried to phone the Bus Lane Penalty people who sent the fine, but not got through - will try again tomorrow.

My other half has recollections about someone in a similar situation on Watchdog a while ago having to prove their innocence... any advice on any further action he could take? He's a bit worried about it all just in case there's going to be any more of the same.

Any advice or has anyone been in a similar situation?
Community Updates
MiscCarClone Wars
41 Comments
oO I don't have any vaild comment to make here other than I'm shocked, I can't believe someone would go that far as to clone someones car make & number plate oO whats the world coming too!
write to the ticket office who issued the ticket with an explanation, and the reasons why your FiL could not have been in Leeds ..

I am shocked at someone been shocked
dog_cop

write to the ticket office who issued the ticket with an explanation, and … write to the ticket office who issued the ticket with an explanation, and the reasons why your FiL could not have been in Leeds .. I am shocked at someone been shocked

I've never heard the likes of that before oO
Never needed this site but have it bookmarked pepipoo.com/
Peach25

oO I don't have any vaild comment to make here other than I'm shocked, I … oO I don't have any vaild comment to make here other than I'm shocked, I can't believe someone would go that far as to clone someones car make & number plate oO whats the world coming too!

Don't be so naive. Don't you read the news? People are disgusting.
Peach25

I've never heard the likes of that before oO

golly gosh and gee whizz ... you learn something new every day
Yes, it was a bit surprising, especially with the type of boring standard OAP/family wagon that he drives - so not likely to be the work of drug dealers or boy racers! My husband reckons that someone has just looked out for a car of the same make and colour as their own, then got a show plate made up on ebay or wherever, stuck it on and driven around (in the bus lanes!) free.

Fortunately he bought the car brand new from a dealer, so at least there's no worry that he's the one driving around in the cloned car!

Thing is that there aren't any reasons in particular why he couldn't have been in Leeds - it's under an hour away, and he doesn't have any alibi apart from his wife and our young kids who they were babysitting on the night that it happened. The main reason why he couldn't be in Leeds is that he'd be absolutely terrified at the thought of driving in a strange city centre at night, but not sure that would be classed as valid!
simplyjimbo

Never needed this site but have it bookmarked http://www.pepipoo.com/

Thank you - could come in very useful if we have any bother. I'll forward him the link now.
MadeDixonsCry

Don't be so naive. Don't you read the news? People are disgusting.

Well I know that, I've had my credit card skimmed before but I've never heard the likes of someone cloning a car make & number plate
dog_cop

golly gosh and gee whizz ... you learn something new every day

I sure have today lol people SUCK!!!
Peach25

Well I know that, I've had my credit card skimmed before but I've … Well I know that, I've had my credit card skimmed before but I've never heard the likes of someone cloning a car make & number plate

I don't think they cloned the car - probably just looked out for a car of the same style/colour as their own and got a number plate made up to match it which only costs about a fiver, so it would look like the real car.
Yeah sorry I meant that, just didn't put it across right. Its terrible, I hope he gets it sorted without any hassle, I'm sure its caused much stress
A friend had the same happen to her she got a ticket for somewhere in London she lives in Lincolnshire good job she had bought some petrol that day and had a receipt. So she could prove she wasn't in londonhope your dad goes on ok.
Look at minor things on the car like where the tax disc and the holder is and take photos of your FILs car, things like dealer stickers, breakdown card holders etc. Send photo's off for comparison.
Peach25

Yeah sorry I meant that, just didn't put it across right. Its terrible, I … Yeah sorry I meant that, just didn't put it across right. Its terrible, I hope he gets it sorted without any hassle, I'm sure its caused much stress

Thanks

Yes - it wouldn't bother me much, but for older people things like this do cause a lot of worry and stress. Fingers crossed it'll sort itself out without too much hassle.
Look at minor things on the car like where the tax disc and the holder is and take photos of your FILs car, things like dealer stickers, breakdown card holders etc. Send photo's off for comparison.
My wife had her number plate stolen a few years back.
As soon as we noticed it we phoned the roz.
The good old Roz came out about 2 weeks later told us the plates were used to steal petrol. The proceded to look over our car.
They pointed out one of our tyres was very close to being unfit for use. and we had a small crack on a mirror.

Twas after that run in with the rozzers that I decided never to tell em sweet F all ever again.
My wife had a letter from a collection solicitor in LONDON, stating she had been parked in the entrance to the DARTMOUTH TUNNEL
I treat it as a SCAM.

NO FURTHER WORD
harlzter

Look at minor things on the car like where the tax disc and the holder is … Look at minor things on the car like where the tax disc and the holder is and take photos of your FILs car, things like dealer stickers, breakdown card holders etc. Send photo's off for comparison.

He looked at it, but the photo is poor quality and it's a very standard car with nothing to note. Only thing he thought was that if it's blown up you might be able to see that the dealer name that's on his would be missing.
All this effort to get out of paying a ticket. Wow oO
Allypurinal

My wife had her number plate stolen a few years back.As soon as we … My wife had her number plate stolen a few years back.As soon as we noticed it we phoned the roz.The good old Roz came out about 2 weeks later told us the plates were used to steal petrol. The proceded to look over our car.They pointed out one of our tyres was very close to being unfit for use. and we had a small crack on a mirror.Twas after that run in with the rozzers that I decided never to tell em sweet F all ever again.

http://memearchive.net/memerial.net/497/cool-story-bro.jpg
jonny619447

All this effort to get out of paying a ticket. Wow oO

Haha!!
MASS1VE

My wife had a letter from a collection solicitor in LONDON, stating she … My wife had a letter from a collection solicitor in LONDON, stating she had been parked in the entrance to the DARTMOUTH TUNNELI treat it as a SCAM.NO FURTHER WORD

Just asked him now to make sure as I haven't seen the letter myself, but he says that when he went to the police station with the letter today, they phoned a number that they have for Leeds Council who confirmed that it's genuine. Thanks for the warning tho!
Ooh... my husband has just been hoking around on Google Street View, and found a car the same style and colour near to where the photo was taken. It's not a rare car, but not the most common in this particular style and colour. Probably several dozen of them in Leeds, but it might be worth a look. Trip to Ikea on Monday in order I reckon
Dealers can register cars by mistake and dual sets of plates made, that happens quite often too I read in a top gear magazine a few years ago hence the car might be the same make/model if you bought from a Ford dealership etc.
In the past, I used to doubt people's memory re where they had been until a friend had this happen. She was teaching in a high school at the other end of the country when the car started picking up parking tickets. Car was same model and had same plates. She was able to show me the photos. Unbelievable! She was able to prove that car was in school carpark and she was working and did not need to pay fine! Obviously it's important for the police to find the car as it needs to have the correct number displayed otherwise problems could continue!
Graham1979

Dealers can register cars by mistake and dual sets of plates made, that … Dealers can register cars by mistake and dual sets of plates made, that happens quite often too I read in a top gear magazine a few years ago hence the car might be the same make/model if you bought from a Ford dealership etc.

That's an interesting idea, as it's a fairly new and very bland '10' plate car that you just wouldn't expect to be cloned. I've searched online but not found anything about the article you mention, will keep looking though just in case. I think the main dealer he bought it from shares premises with the Ford dealer, part of the same company. In the instances you saw were the DVLA not aware that there were 2 identical cars running around on the same plates?
Peach25

oO I don't have any vaild comment to make here other than I'm shocked, I … oO I don't have any vaild comment to make here other than I'm shocked, I can't believe someone would go that far as to clone someones car make & number plate oO whats the world coming too!

serious? Cloning is very common these days as the penalties for getting caught are minor compared to the cost of insurance, tax & mot.

1,000,000+ uninsured drivers cant all be wrong.......oO

My mate has been caught twice in 20+ years of uninsured driving and total fines amounted to about £300 and 6 points first time and I think 8 the next (yes, I know he's a complete plank!). Probably saved £10,000 in insurance premiums!
Edited by: "csiman" 5th Oct 2012
harlzter

Look at minor things on the car like where the tax disc and the holder is … Look at minor things on the car like where the tax disc and the holder is and take photos of your FILs car, things like dealer stickers, breakdown card holders etc. Send photo's off for comparison.

how would that help as FIL could easily remove / add stickers etc anyway? With no alibi and only living an hour away, I would imagine it will be difficult to get out of the fine otherwise lots of people would just say it was a cloned car if caught.
Graham1979

Dealers can register cars by mistake and dual sets of plates made, that … Dealers can register cars by mistake and dual sets of plates made, that happens quite often too I read in a top gear magazine a few years ago hence the car might be the same make/model if you bought from a Ford dealership etc.

surely DVLA would pick up on that pretty quickly with the registered keeper being at two different addresses......
csiman

surely DVLA would pick up on that pretty quickly with the registered … surely DVLA would pick up on that pretty quickly with the registered keeper being at two different addresses......

I gave my sister an old Sierra I'd had for a couple of years. She went to a local market in it and parked up behind an identical car with the same number. She called the police to tell them that someone had cloned her car.

It turned out that the other car was legit and hers was the ringer X)
Not only that but they surely cant issue two brand new log books without their computers picking up on it?

Oh hang on its the DVLA who's responsible? perfectly possible then.
csiman

how would that help as FIL could easily remove / add stickers etc anyway? … how would that help as FIL could easily remove / add stickers etc anyway? With no alibi and only living an hour away, I would imagine it will be difficult to get out of the fine otherwise lots of people would just say it was a cloned car if caught.

Yes, it is a bit dodgy hence he's worried, but he knows himself that it definitely wasn't him, and we all know it wasn't him - we spoke to him at our house that evening as they were babysitting for us. He's a nice, normal, retired bloke in his 60's who's never had a bit of bother with the police so hopefully they'll take him on his word - the local coppers did when he went to see them. Hopefully because it's just a bus lane violation rather than anything nasty that'll help... it would be far easier for him just to pay the fine (if it wasn't for the fact that there's obviously a more serious problem behind it) than it would for him to go to the police and make all the phone calls etc that will be involved, so hopefully they'll realise that he's genuine on that basis, whereas if it was a hit & run or something serious with higher stakes that would make it worthwhile to fabricate a cloned-car story then I suppose they'd have to look into it in a lot more detail.

csiman

surely DVLA would pick up on that pretty quickly with the registered … surely DVLA would pick up on that pretty quickly with the registered keeper being at two different addresses......

Yes, that's what I thought, but from experience of both main dealers and DVLA I suppose anything's possible!
I used to work in parking, this happens all the time, make sure you make a report to the Police and supply the report log number when writing to the Parking Authority about your ticket, it is also worth writing to the DVLA. Good luck.
harlzter

Not only that but they surely cant issue two brand new log books without … Not only that but they surely cant issue two brand new log books without their computers picking up on it?Oh hang on its the DVLA who's responsible? perfectly possible then.

My thoughts exactly
harlzter

Not only that but they surely cant issue two brand new log books without … Not only that but they surely cant issue two brand new log books without their computers picking up on it?Oh hang on its the DVLA who's responsible? perfectly possible then.

In my case above, I had the car for about 3 years. It was legal as far as I was concerned. I had log book, it was taxed and insured. So unless the legit one had none of those, there were duplicates going through without getting spotted all the time I had it,
deek72

In my case above, I had the car for about 3 years. It was legal as far as … In my case above, I had the car for about 3 years. It was legal as far as I was concerned. I had log book, it was taxed and insured. So unless the legit one had none of those, there were duplicates going through without getting spotted all the time I had it,

Missed your post before, sorry! Was that before everything was computerised (thinking that Sierras haven't really been around much recently)? I would have thought that whatever systems they use now would automatically pick up on the fact that there are 2 cars with the same number, but perhaps not. As we say, with DVLA anything is possible.
panddda

Missed your post before, sorry! Was that before everything was … Missed your post before, sorry! Was that before everything was computerised (thinking that Sierras haven't really been around much recently)? I would have thought that whatever systems they use now would automatically pick up on the fact that there are 2 cars with the same number, but perhaps not. As we say, with DVLA anything is possible.

Yeah, I suppose it must be 20 years ago (I was only about 10 years old when I started buying cars X)).
As you say it probably would get picked up now.
deek72

I sold to my sister for a huge mark up an old Sierra I'd had for a couple … I sold to my sister for a huge mark up an old Sierra I'd had for a couple of years. She went to a local market in it and parked up behind an identical car with the same number. She called the police to tell them that someone had cloned her car.It turned out that the other car was legit and hers was the ringer X)

The deekster a dodgy car dealer as a sideline, who wudda thunk it! oO

notmycar.co.uk were set up specifically to help people suffering from this increasing problem.
alanrs

http://www.notmycar.co.uk were set up specifically to help people … http://www.notmycar.co.uk were set up specifically to help people suffering from this increasing problem.

Just got back from a weekend away - thanks very much for that. Nothing yet heard back from anybody, so we'll leave it a little while and see what the various organisations have to say.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions