Groups

Cloned HDD now need to boot from it...need help

Does anyone know of any free disc imaging programs ? I want to make on image of my 80gb hdd and restore it to a new 500gb hdd without having to format and reinstall everything.

29 Comments

Does Daemon not do something like this?

I assume its ISO's you want to create? If so then i use Daemon to launch my ISOs not sure if thats what your looking for though.

Original Poster

i don't want to make copies of discs as such ie: films. I want to clone my hdd, Does deamon do that ?

zeus9876;6592537

i don't want to make copies of discs as such ie: films. I want to clone … i don't want to make copies of discs as such ie: films. I want to clone my hdd, Does deamon do that ?

Not sure if it does.

From what youv said in the description? could you not just drag-and-drop?:thinking:

Original Poster

no it doesn't work like that sorry

I highly recommend acronis true image home.
    It's only $50 and well worth it IMO.

acronis.com/hom…ge/

Original Poster

ummm thats not free tho....i want to know if there are any FREE ones or Trial ones. Not looking to spend anything as i would rather just format and re-install instead of spending $50.

zeus9876;6592597

ummm thats not free tho....i want to know if there are any FREE ones or … ummm thats not free tho....i want to know if there are any FREE ones or Trial ones. Not looking to spend anything as i would rather just format and re-install instead of spending $50.

It has a free trial

Are both HDD's in the same machine?

If your hard drive is a Seagate or a Maxtor, there is a free version of Acronis at the Seagate / Maxtor Website.

seagate.com/ww/…CRD

Please note, this will not work if your Hard Drive is not a Seagate or Maxtor.

:thumbsup:

Original Poster

Babbabooey;6592658

It has a free trial

do you know if the trial is limited to so many gb's ? usually the trials will not let you fully create and restore an image over a certain size.

No, I'm 99% sure that it's fully functional for 30 days. You might get a nag screen but that should be it.

edit... yep, full functionality -
    kb.acronis.com/con…768

Original Poster

kingy58;6592664

Are both HDD's in the same machine?

they will be tomorrow

]PING is free and works very well.

Original Poster

Inactive;6592667

If your hard drive is a Seagate or a Maxtor, there is a free version of … If your hard drive is a Seagate or a Maxtor, there is a free version of Acronis at the Seagate / Maxtor Website.http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=DiscWizard&vgnextoid=d9fd4a3cdde5c010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRDPlease note, this will not work if your Hard Drive is not a Seagate or Maxtor.:thumbsup:

i just bought a seagate 500gb hdd but not sure what the 80gb drive is yet. will have a look and see

edit* yup both are seagate's so will use the link provided. Thanks for all the help

The free version that I have posted at 11 has no time limitations on it.

But only for Maxtor or Seagate drives.

DriveImageXML works well & is free

zeus9876;6592693

they will be tomorrow

Can't you then just use the 'File Transfer Wizard'?

just for everyones info, the seagate version of acronis will work on any drives at all, it just looks for a seagate (or new maxtor) in the system even usb ones.
    i keep an old 4gb seagate for attachment via usb caddy for this purpose

maddogb;6593662

just for everyones info, the seagate version of acronis will work on any … just for everyones info, the seagate version of acronis will work on any drives at all, it just looks for a seagate (or new maxtor) in the system even usb ones.i keep an old 4gb seagate for attachment via usb caddy for this purpose

Interesting, thanks for that.. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

My HDD arrived. Managed to clone it with my 80gb drive. Now how do i set it to boot from the new drive ?

set the jumper to master and the old one to slave.
    or do it in the computer BIOS if it lets you

Original Poster

sata drives dont have jumpers but thanks for trying

zeus9876;6596790

sata drives dont have jumpers but thanks for trying

Older ones do I believe.

Anyway, it should be in the bios then, you can choose the boot order and drive priority.

Or just unplug the old 80gb one, that would be the easiest!

Original Poster

Babbabooey;6596887

Older ones do I believe.Anyway, it should be in the bios then, you can … Older ones do I believe.Anyway, it should be in the bios then, you can choose the boot order and drive priority.Or just unplug the old 80gb one, that would be the easiest!

will try the bios but want the 80gb one in there so i can format and use for storage

Original Poster

Bios is no good as it's only option is cd-rom or hard drive...does not list which hard drive

Original Poster

ok think i got it. I pressed F8 and went into the boot menu. Selected the 500gb drive and it said seagate disk wizard completed.

My 500gb is now my C drive so think i am sorted woohoo

now lets see if i mess anything up formatting my 80gb drive

ohhh the dreaded BOOTMGR is missing grrrrr

Original Poster

all working again now i think
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2495
      2. Cat Chat77735
      3. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force1826
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767394

See more discussions