Groups
    EXPIRED

Cloning HDD to Desktop then to SSD

Hi all,

I'm wanting to attempt this as I don't have the necessary hardware to hook up 3 or 4 drives and do a straight clone from disc to disc.

Is it possible to clone an existing HDD to an image file on my PC to install on an SSD at a later date?

Any recommendations on what program to use?

14 Comments

Download: Paragon Backup & Recovery™ 2014 Free paragon-software.com/free/

Backup your OS drive (all partitions) onto a storage media (HDD is good). Restore onto the SSD (while booted up on the HDD) once it's done, switch priority so the SSD is primary.

I know others will suggest not to do this and to do a fresh install, but I'm answering your question directly.

Agree with Rev, its easily done, I used Acronis and cloned the drive. You may have to "trim" some of your programs down obviosuly if you dont have enough space on the SSD. People have said "a clean install is best" but I have had absolutely no issues with my clone, obviously clean up your drive (delete temp files and other crap) before you clone it.

An SSD i the best performace upgrade I have had on MY PC, you will really enjoy it.
    Edited by: "Donkii" 1st Dec 2014

Original Poster

rev6

Download: Paragon Backup & Recovery™ 2014 Free h … Download: Paragon Backup & Recovery™ 2014 Free http://www.paragon-software.com/free/Backup your OS drive (all partitions) onto a storage media (HDD is good). Restore onto the SSD (while booted up on the HDD) once it's done, switch priority so the SSD is primary. I know others will suggest not to do this and to do a fresh install, but I'm answering your question directly.

Cheers,

Thats what I was hoping to avoid (fresh install) for the sake of convenience and possibly not having the OS on disc. Basically I'm looking at using the desktop I've got to do the HDD then SSD one at a time as I don't have enough SATA cables. It's ok to make a disc image then reinstall to SSD though?

Steve Mac

Cheers,Thats what I was hoping to avoid (fresh install) for the sake of … Cheers,Thats what I was hoping to avoid (fresh install) for the sake of convenience and possibly not having the OS on disc. Basically I'm looking at using the desktop I've got to do the HDD then SSD one at a time as I don't have enough SATA cables. It's ok to make a disc image then reinstall to SSD though?

To do that you would either have to put the backed up data on a USB drive and install a fresh OS on the SSD so you can install the software to restore or use another software that supports DOS type interface, so you can restore without an OS being on the drive. I think Acronis can do this.

Original Poster

Donkii

Agree with Rev, its easily done, I used Acronis and cloned the drive. … Agree with Rev, its easily done, I used Acronis and cloned the drive. You may have to "trim" some of your programs down obviosuly if you dont have enough space on the SSD. People have said "a clean install is best" but I have had absolutely no issues with my clone, obviously clean up your drive (delete temp files and other crap) before you clone it. An SSD i the best performace upgrade I have had on MY PC, you will really enjoy it.

The drive I'm going to clone will be a brand new one from a new HDD on a new laptop, I just want to get it onto an SSD without any tampering (where possible).

Original Poster

rev6

To do that you would either have to put the backed up data on a USB drive … To do that you would either have to put the backed up data on a USB drive and install a fresh OS on the SSD so you can install the software to restore or use another software that supports DOS type interface, so you can restore without an OS being on the drive. I think Acronis can do this.

Sorry, I think I'm confusing things (and being bad with grammar). I meant I might not have the OS supplied on a CD/DVD by Dell so I would need the whole HDD copied inc the OS on it to be reinstalled on a new SSD

Steve Mac

Sorry, I think I'm confusing things. I meant I might not have the OS … Sorry, I think I'm confusing things. I meant I might not have the OS supplied by Dell so I would need the whole drive copied inc the OS to be reinstalled on a new SSD

You could use a DOS type restore, the data needs to be on something though.

Another option would be a SATA to USB cable so you can restore the OS onto the SSD while on the HDD.

amazon.co.uk/gp/…1_1?qid=1417435244&sr=8-1π=AC_SY200_QL40
    Edited by: "rev6" 1st Dec 2014

Original Poster

rev6

You could use a DOS type restore, the data needs to be on something … You could use a DOS type restore, the data needs to be on something though.

If I can make an image I'll store it on my desktop before hooking up the SSD and putting on there, otherwise I may have to get another SATA cable and just have the HDD and SSD running together to do a straight clone.

Sorry if I'm not being helpful but never done a clone before.

Steve Mac

If I can make an image I'll store it on my desktop before hooking up the … If I can make an image I'll store it on my desktop before hooking up the SSD and putting on there, otherwise I may have to get another SATA cable and just have the HDD and SSD running together to do a straight clone.Sorry if I'm not being helpful but never done a clone before.

Do you have an optical drive you can unplug for a bit? So you can do it all on the desktop.

Original Poster

rev6

Do you have an optical drive you can unplug for a bit? So you can do it … Do you have an optical drive you can unplug for a bit? So you can do it all on the desktop.

Unfortunately not, the set up I've got is a Desktop PC (I'm intending to use the cloning software from) with spare SATA ports but only 1 spare SATA cable, the new HDD to be cloned and an old SSD to be cloned to.

It all depends if Dell ship a disc with the OS on it, if they don't then cloning is my option.

You could always install Windows 7 (trial) on the SSD so you can install the software to restore the HDD's OS.

techverse.net/dow…rs/
    Edited by: "rev6" 1st Dec 2014

Original Poster

rev6

You could always install Windows 7 (trial) on the SSD so you can install … You could always install Windows 7 (trial) on the SSD so you can install the software to restore the HDD's OS.http://www.techverse.net/download-windows-7-iso-x86-x64-microsofts-official-servers/

Good idea, I didn't think of that. The laptop comes without the OS on disc.

Original Poster

All sorted now, I managed to do it via SATA and also via a USB caddy using Macrium. Thanks for the help
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I want some backless loafers for men33
      2. Hard drive 'died'(?), what can I do? (for computer wizards please!)510
      3. Xbox one region locked codes?22
      4. Phone "Upgrade"36

See more discussions