Cloning HDD to SSD Help

Found 9th Jan
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to clone my 1TB HDD to a fresh 120gb SSD, however its my first time doing this so i'm having trouble...

After getting some advice, I downloaded EaseUS Partition Manager and EaseUS ToDo Backup.

I resized the partion of C: in my HDD to 110GB using the partition manager, then cloned this to the SSD using the other tool, this took around 45 mins and seemed to work successfully.

So I thought it would be as simple as literally swapping them over, however when putting the SSD in I got the error message "Default boot device missing or boot failed" - which after reading online people were saying I needed to change some settings in the BIOS, this being to change 'UEFI' to 'Legacy Support' and to legacy first... done that and then it started saying 'No bootable device'

So now I'm stuck and don't know what do next...

Any help would be appreciated!
Community Updates
AskElectronics
9 Comments
Put your windows disc in and do a boot repair. Ensure your normal HDD is not plugged in, only your SSD. It’ll reinstall any corrupted windows files. Once into windows and it’s happy shut it down, plug in the HDD as well and boot up, ensure you boot to the SSD. Then map the other drive to a letter and rename the windows folder on the HDD to windows.old. This will stop it being seen as a bootable windows version. You can then use the drive as another data drive by adding a new partition and keeping the existing partition on the drive as a backup of your data.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 9th Jan
Personally I would do a Fresh Install on the SSD then copy your files across.
When I bought the laptop I didn’t receive a windows disk, nor do I even have a disk drive in the new laptop actually.

So what would my alternatives be now? I thought it was as simple as cloning through EaseUS then all the data would just transfer aha...
You make an Win Repair Disk or USB from your existing Installation and try using that.

What version of Windows are we talking about here, if its 10 I would still recommend a fresh install on the SSD for best and fastest performance.

I wouldn't mess with your bios at this stage, if you insist on cloning your old HDD then try another cloning software, as it could be a simple case of not copying your Boot over correctly.
jackfreemanwkd19 m ago

When I bought the laptop I didn’t receive a windows disk, nor do I even h …When I bought the laptop I didn’t receive a windows disk, nor do I even have a disk drive in the new laptop actually.So what would my alternatives be now? I thought it was as simple as cloning through EaseUS then all the data would just transfer aha...

support.microsoft.com/en-…dia

You will need a bootable system and a usb flash drive for this but it will build and up to date version of windows 10 so you don't have to spend ages patching it. You shouldn't need a cd key as your windows 10 has already been registered on that pc
zirk6 m ago

You make an Win Repair Disk or USB from your existing Installation and try …You make an Win Repair Disk or USB from your existing Installation and try using that.What version of Windows are we talking about here, if its 10 I would still recommend a fresh install on the SSD for best and fastest performance.I wouldn't mess with your bios at this stage, if you insist on cloning your old HDD then try another cloning software, as it could be a simple case of not copying your Boot over correctly.

Hi Zirk, I’ll go about making a windows repair disk.

Yes it’s windows 10, when you say fresh install though what do you actually mean by that?

And yeah I’ll change it back since it didn’t work aha!
Fresh Install, Clean Install, ie start from scratch, download a current version of win10 and install it fresh on the SSD
zirk12 m ago

Fresh Install, Clean Install, ie start from scratch, download a current …Fresh Install, Clean Install, ie start from scratch, download a current version of win10 and install it fresh on the SSD

I’ll give it a try! Thank you
I did the same today i used paragon hard drive manager it worked a treat. No problems
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants