Closing message

When I switch my lap top off it displays a message" PLEASE DO NOT POWER OFF OR UNPLUG YOUR MACHINE, INSTALLING UPDATE 1 OF 7" and then proceeds to sit for hours on end, seemingly doing nothing until I get fed up and press the off button.
Can anyone shed any light on this and suggest a way (serious) of eliminating this annoying message. TIA

11 Comments

Turn off automatic updates

Let it complete the update, leave it overnight if it helps. Sometimes it can take a bit of time

either or both of the above ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You're killing your hard drive by powering it off like that.

Banned

disabled automatic updates, reboot, enable them again.

This should download them afresh, and a corrupted download may be causing it to never complete the update.

vibeone;6131418

disabled automatic updates, reboot, enable them again.This should … disabled automatic updates, reboot, enable them again.This should download them afresh, and a corrupted download may be causing it to never complete the update.

good advice :thumbsup:

press the little yellow shield in the right hand bottom of the screen and update the laptop while you work on it

Original Poster

ChipSticks;6131215

Turn off automatic updates

vibeone;6131418

disabled automatic updates, reboot, enable them again.This should … disabled automatic updates, reboot, enable them again.This should download them afresh, and a corrupted download may be causing it to never complete the update.

How does one turn off/on Automatic Updates?:thinking:

go to Control Panel
Then click on "automatic updates"
Then selec the option you prefer... i'd probably select "download them for me, but let me choose when to install"

http://www.avinashtech.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/automatic-updates-in-windows.jpg

I accidently clicked expire sorry - its my stupid laptop touchpad

I have asked mods to unexpire it

throw it out the window.......problem solved?

sorry you did say serious suggestions so.......

I have a sony vaio laptop that does it i just leave it and it will go through them. 7 updates is it a new laptop? I had 7 when i first had my laptop since then its been max of 3 updates.

If its an old laptop i'd do what previous dude said about starting fresh
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. What do you feel like whinging about today?1917251
    2. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread415314087
    3. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17386134
    4. Any PS4 News Here29213600

See more discussions