Clothes Retailers Returns getting worse and worse?

Found 13th Jun
Been buying clothes online instead of shops since 2007, and now getting fed up, clothes normally never same size anymore and pictures misleading, so you will always have things to return,

used to be 1 week or so for returns to be proccessed, last year or so and in last few months, been waiting 3-4 weeks from every retailer, is anybody else getting fed up and thinking of just going back to shops who can refund same day?
Community Updates
Misc
35 Comments
Any online shopping goes on a credit card ( via PayPal) as long as the refunds come back before the next bill comes in it doesn't bother me how long it takes. I only order clothes from companies that offer free returns normally, or occasionally where PayPal will cover the return. Always wait for a free delivery code too. All that adds to the companies costs , so if I have to wait a little while for a refund to come through it's not an issue.

Don't think I've had to wait more than a week /10 days tops though. That said if clothes are going back to a shop with a physical presence in town I would drop them back in , saves worrying about them going missing in the post.
Edited by: "tinkerbellian" 13th Jun
Like tinkerbellian I'm not always keen on making purchases if you don't get free returns, especially if you think something isn't going to fit.

I do like the idea that you can try clothes on in store before purchasing alright though don't forget, you've MORE rights buying online (or by telephone/catalogue) due to the Consumer Contracts Regulations. These give a legal right of 14 days to cancel the order after receiving it, and a further 14 days to send most goods back for a full refund (including outward delivery costs), even if there's no fault.

If you ever have experience were stores aren't obliging these rights then consider contacting Resolver.

resolver.co.uk/

Or better still, before doing so check the following.

moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange
Edited by: "LemonHead" 13th Jun
Legally speaking they have 28 days to process the refund after issuing a refund voucher or did when I worked in banking not that long ago.
psychobitchfromhell25 m ago

Legally speaking they have 28 days to process the refund after issuing a …Legally speaking they have 28 days to process the refund after issuing a refund voucher or did when I worked in banking not that long ago.

Yes this is the law but comon do these retailers want my money... Surely you want people to not get annoyed chasing returns 4 weeks after they sent it
Creatish31 m ago

Yes this is the law but comon do these retailers want my money... Surely …Yes this is the law but comon do these retailers want my money... Surely you want people to not get annoyed chasing returns 4 weeks after they sent it

Did you see that article in the news about the woman who swindled asd a out of thousands? Maybe people acting like that is part of the reason.
birminghammail.co.uk/new…380
psychobitchfromhell1 h, 25 m ago

Legally speaking they have 28 days to process the refund after issuing a …Legally speaking they have 28 days to process the refund after issuing a refund voucher or did when I worked in banking not that long ago.

Legally speaking?

Firstly it depends on the reason for return.

A change of mind return is different to a faulty/damaged/misdescribed return.

It also depends on where the retailer is trading - China? UK?
Clothes shopping is one of a few types I don’t think you have any benefits by shopping online because the drawbacks outweigh the benefits by a lot.

go get yourself out the house while there are still bricks and mortar shops you can visit
windym10 m ago

Legally speaking? Firstly it depends on the reason for return.A change of …Legally speaking? Firstly it depends on the reason for return.A change of mind return is different to a faulty/damaged/misdescribed return.It also depends on where the retailer is trading - China? UK?

I'm talking about from issuing a refund receipt as I said, not about whether they decide to refund.
psychobitchfromhell4 m ago

I'm talking about from issuing a refund receipt as I said, not about …I'm talking about from issuing a refund receipt as I said, not about whether they decide to refund.

It isn't 28 days in the UK/EU for example, for change of mind, it's 14 days.
windym3 m ago

It isn't 28 days in the UK/EU for example, for change of mind, it's 14 …It isn't 28 days in the UK/EU for example, for change of mind, it's 14 days.

To clarify,you should get a refund within 14 days of either the trader getting the goods back, or you providing evidence of having returned the goods (for example, a proof of postage receipt from the post office), whichever is the sooner. This is UK consumer legislation.
windym4 m ago

It isn't 28 days in the UK/EU for example, for change of mind, it's 14 …It isn't 28 days in the UK/EU for example, for change of mind, it's 14 days.

You really aren't reading this are you. I said from issuing a refund receipt. If the company says they are going to refund, they have 28 days to process the refund. Whether they decide to refund is not the matter I was addressing.
psychobitchfromhell1 m ago

You really aren't reading this are you. I said from issuing a refund …You really aren't reading this are you. I said from issuing a refund receipt. If the company says they are going to refund, they have 28 days to process the refund. Whether they decide to refund is not the matter I was addressing.

No, you aren't reading it.

Under UK consumer law, they have 14 days. Not 28.
all the jargon means nothing if the retailers wants my custom, I am sure anyone else who has the misfortune to buy anything from the arcadia group of retailers will know, they will never buy from them again,

You would think with the hundreds of big shopping retailers the competition would be forcing them to make good customer service for repeat business, must be why lot are going down the rabbit hole?
psychobitchfromhell4 m ago

You really aren't reading this are you. I said from issuing a refund …You really aren't reading this are you. I said from issuing a refund receipt. If the company says they are going to refund, they have 28 days to process the refund. Whether they decide to refund is not the matter I was addressing.

This might help.

gov.uk/acc…nds

You must refund the customer within 14 days of receiving the goods back.
windym5 m ago

No, you aren't reading it.Under UK consumer law, they have 14 days. Not …No, you aren't reading it.Under UK consumer law, they have 14 days. Not 28.

You have 14 days to return the item. If the company agree to refund, they have 28 days to process it thereafter.
psychobitchfromhell2 m ago

You have 14 days to return the item. If the company agree to refund, they …You have 14 days to return the item. If the company agree to refund, they have 28 days to process it thereafter.

Where is that link? As I said. For a change of mind return (as per the OP) UK consumer law (and EU for that matter) gives 14 days for a refund by the retailer. Not 28, not 29.....just 14.

Linky please.
windym59 m ago

Where is that link? As I said. For a change of mind return (as per the …Where is that link? As I said. For a change of mind return (as per the OP) UK consumer law (and EU for that matter) gives 14 days for a refund by the retailer. Not 28, not 29.....just 14. Linky please.

distance selling regs say you have 14 days to cancel then 14 days to return then the company have 14 days to refund. Six weeks start to finish. OP is expecting a refund within a week. You return the item same day, you are talking two to three weeks before you can compkain. For a high street purchase 28 days from issue of a refund receipt is the point whereby there are chargeback rights. Other than distance selling, if you want to claim say it the item is faulty after 14 days, the company must "offer" a refund within 14 days, not process a refund. The whole process needs to be streamlined. It was put in place before we were all so internet savvy. Other option is to go to a shop and try clothes on.
psychobitchfromhell5 h, 50 m ago

distance selling regs say you have 14 days to cancel then 14 days to …distance selling regs say you have 14 days to cancel then 14 days to return then the company have 14 days to refund. Six weeks start to finish. OP is expecting a refund within a week. You return the item same day, you are talking two to three weeks before you can compkain. For a high street purchase 28 days from issue of a refund receipt is the point whereby there are chargeback rights. Other than distance selling, if you want to claim say it the item is faulty after 14 days, the company must "offer" a refund within 14 days, not process a refund. The whole process needs to be streamlined. It was put in place before we were all so internet savvy. Other option is to go to a shop and try clothes on.

The OP bought online not on the High Street.

Distance Selling Regulations were superseded a few years ago, the correct legislation is the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013. legislation.gov.uk/uks…ade

The CCR give the retailer 14 days to refund, not to process, not to think about it, but to reimburse you. 14 days is from the time you state you wish to cancel and is the maximum time allowed.

(4) Reimbursement must be without undue delay, and in any event not later than the time specified in paragraph (5) or (6).

(5) If the contract is a sales contract and the trader has not offered to collect the goods, the time is the end of 14 days after—

(a)the day on which the trader receives the goods back, or

(b)if earlier, the day on which the consumer supplies evidence of having sent the goods back.

(6) Otherwise, the time is the end of 14 days after the day on which the trader is informed of the consumer’s decision to withdraw the offer or cancel the contract, in accordance with regulation 44.

Had the OP bought on the High Street then there isn't a stipulation on time as shops do not have to allow returns for change of mind. The OP would be bound by the T&C of the specific shop.

If the OP is waiting longer than 14 days and has complied with the CCR's then they should look at Section 75 or a Chargeback if they paid by card and those methods apply, they don't always apply. Of course, they could contact the company and give a link to the legislation, there are lots of online retailers that have similar misunderstandings on the legislation.
windym50 m ago

The OP bought online not on the High Street.Distance Selling Regulations …The OP bought online not on the High Street.Distance Selling Regulations were superseded a few years ago, the correct legislation is the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/3134/contents/madeThe CCR give the retailer 14 days to refund, not to process, not to think about it, but to reimburse you. 14 days is from the time you state you wish to cancel and is the maximum time allowed. (4) Reimbursement must be without undue delay, and in any event not later than the time specified in paragraph (5) or (6).(5) If the contract is a sales contract and the trader has not offered to collect the goods, the time is the end of 14 days after—(a)the day on which the trader receives the goods back, or(b)if earlier, the day on which the consumer supplies evidence of having sent the goods back.(6) Otherwise, the time is the end of 14 days after the day on which the trader is informed of the consumer’s decision to withdraw the offer or cancel the contract, in accordance with regulation 44.Had the OP bought on the High Street then there isn't a stipulation on time as shops do not have to allow returns for change of mind. The OP would be bound by the T&C of the specific shop.If the OP is waiting longer than 14 days and has complied with the CCR's then they should look at Section 75 or a Chargeback if they paid by card and those methods apply, they don't always apply. Of course, they could contact the company and give a link to the legislation, there are lots of online retailers that have similar misunderstandings on the legislation.

Ok so we both know the law and we can both state the law. By both readings, a company does not need to refund within a week which is what OP was used to. Some companies are quicker to refund than others. The law is different depending on how you purchase the goods. The timescale the OP states are within all guidelines. Maybe they should just go to a shop and try the stuff on and buy what fits.
psychobitchfromhell1 h, 1 m ago

Ok so we both know the law and we can both state the law. By both …Ok so we both know the law and we can both state the law. By both readings, a company does not need to refund within a week which is what OP was used to. Some companies are quicker to refund than others. The law is different depending on how you purchase the goods. The timescale the OP states are within all guidelines. Maybe they should just go to a shop and try the stuff on and buy what fits.

So it's consumers fault all there clothes fit different?

I like online shopping it's just I do not see how some big brands are going to stay in business, I will list a few

River island
Arcadia group (Dorothy Perkins )
Abercrombie (never have to chase but does take 3 weeks)

Ones I have found good with timely responses and will use again because of this
ASOS
Zalando
Dannyrobbo9 h, 25 m ago

Clothes shopping is one of a few types I don’t think you have any benefits …Clothes shopping is one of a few types I don’t think you have any benefits by shopping online because the drawbacks outweigh the benefits by a lot.go get yourself out the house while there are still bricks and mortar shops you can visit

I disagree, clothes shopping online is easy and convenient. Waiting a little while for refunds isn’t a problem except for those who live life on the edge of financial oblivion and I appreciate thats where some people are at but the question then I’d ask is should they be wasting lots of money on clothes? Shops are constrained by limited hours, so for those who work long hours it means wasting part of precious weekend time and online is open24/7, returns can be dropped to a post office/shop at your convenience even in the late evening/early morning. Additionally online carries more stock than shops which often run out of popular sizes. Online always have promo codes and cashback making it cheaper than the shops. Anyone thinking physical shops offer any value is wrong (except when they are closing down).
cmdr_elito1 h, 12 m ago

I disagree, clothes shopping online is easy and convenient. Waiting a …I disagree, clothes shopping online is easy and convenient. Waiting a little while for refunds isn’t a problem except for those who live life on the edge of financial oblivion and I appreciate thats where some people are at but the question then I’d ask is should they be wasting lots of money on clothes? Shops are constrained by limited hours, so for those who work long hours it means wasting part of precious weekend time and online is open24/7, returns can be dropped to a post office/shop at your convenience even in the late evening/early morning. Additionally online carries more stock than shops which often run out of popular sizes. Online always have promo codes and cashback making it cheaper than the shops. Anyone thinking physical shops offer any value is wrong (except when they are closing down).

See I have plenty of money being saved but having 200-300£ out on clothes and not hearing back 3 weeks after sent can be because they lost the parcel and was never going to get in contact with you... Then you might have to go down bank charge route which then takes another months and more time pursuing your money back, all can be time consuming and frustrating

Sizing being so rubbish with retailers nowadays mean we all over order cause we know there be stuff to be sent back, with the reduction in staff I really feel retailers need to be offering better timely returns
cmdr_elito2 h, 47 m ago

I disagree, clothes shopping online is easy and convenient. Waiting a …I disagree, clothes shopping online is easy and convenient. Waiting a little while for refunds isn’t a problem except for those who live life on the edge of financial oblivion and I appreciate thats where some people are at but the question then I’d ask is should they be wasting lots of money on clothes? Shops are constrained by limited hours, so for those who work long hours it means wasting part of precious weekend time and online is open24/7, returns can be dropped to a post office/shop at your convenience even in the late evening/early morning. Additionally online carries more stock than shops which often run out of popular sizes. Online always have promo codes and cashback making it cheaper than the shops. Anyone thinking physical shops offer any value is wrong (except when they are closing down).

Its convenient but not quite as convenient as a shop when you need a different size or you look **** in your purchase you just pick another. I hadn’t even thought about the financials, savings or anything.

There is then no need to return because you have either bought it or not. Online clothes shopping is not more convenient you just don’t have to leave the house.
Edited by moderator: "removed swear word" 14th Jun
Dannyrobbo2 h, 17 m ago

Its convenient but not quite as convenient as a shop when you need a …Its convenient but not quite as convenient as a shop when you need a different size or you look **** in your purchase you just pick another. I hadn’t even thought about the financials, savings or anything. There is then no need to return because you have either bought it or not. Online clothes shopping is not more convenient you just don’t have to leave the house.

I agree with the cost and choice but realistically every clothes shop there a return needed and the hassle is not worth the savings
TL;dR - Take the delays or pay more, value cant be delivered without consequence all the time.

Online clothes retailers are a victim of the consumer.

1) More people buy online rather than instore all the time.
2) People think they will look as good in the clothes as the well chosen model in the picture.(I'm deliberately not saying good looking model, as different clothes have different demographics and looks are subjective)
3) Clothe sizes have always been flaky, the problem is everyone hates the psycology of being a larger size. How often do they really buy the size they need? I'm guilty of this.
4) Consumers are liars, there I said it. Not all but enough to be a cost burden to a business. All returns need to be screened for wear. How many people have seen the returns desk at M&S after Christmas, a nice historical example. Where the staff had to check for wine stains, turkey gravy, sherry triffle etc. As the outfit was worn teh day befor eto impress...only to want a refund afterwards.
5) Media coverage to encourage different looks id driving people to 'fit' in or be left behind. WHo needs £2-£300 of clothes a month?

All these things drive up volume. Rather than having 300 stores per brand handling returns, splitting the load 300 ways. Central Warehouses get all the returns and have to be worked through, preventing fraud, etc. It takes time, online demand is it's own worse enemy. Even Amazon, on sales struggles, look at delivery times on Prime day or Black Friday. Returns can only be worse, as it is a far slower process.
Creatish5 h, 18 m ago

So it's consumers fault all there clothes fit different?

Kind of yes, If you look at the shape of men it is pretty generic and much easier to get right. However with women, you may have two 'size 6s' with completely different body shapes, so even if they standardised sizes across all clothing companies you will still find a lot of clothes in your size would not fit correctly.
Oneday771 h, 36 m ago

TL;dR - Take the delays or pay more, value cant be delivered without …TL;dR - Take the delays or pay more, value cant be delivered without consequence all the time.Online clothes retailers are a victim of the consumer.1) More people buy online rather than instore all the time.2) People think they will look as good in the clothes as the well chosen model in the picture.(I'm deliberately not saying good looking model, as different clothes have different demographics and looks are subjective)3) Clothe sizes have always been flaky, the problem is everyone hates the psycology of being a larger size. How often do they really buy the size they need? I'm guilty of this.4) Consumers are liars, there I said it. Not all but enough to be a cost burden to a business. All returns need to be screened for wear. How many people have seen the returns desk at M&S after Christmas, a nice historical example. Where the staff had to check for wine stains, turkey gravy, sherry triffle etc. As the outfit was worn teh day befor eto impress...only to want a refund afterwards.5) Media coverage to encourage different looks id driving people to 'fit' in or be left behind. WHo needs £2-£300 of clothes a month?All these things drive up volume. Rather than having 300 stores per brand handling returns, splitting the load 300 ways. Central Warehouses get all the returns and have to be worked through, preventing fraud, etc. It takes time, online demand is it's own worse enemy. Even Amazon, on sales struggles, look at delivery times on Prime day or Black Friday. Returns can only be worse, as it is a far slower process.

Totally agree, I visited a mate last night and she had ordered a small mountain of clothes from Next for her kid, and he spent the next hour trying stuff on, getting grubby marks on some of the stuff, by the time they were done, she had chosen 5 items, with 5 times as much stuff to go back. Some of which couldn't be resold at full price due to the marks.

Which reminds me of when I worked for a publisher and found out that any return stock was pulped, I asked why and was told its not worth paying someone to flick though each book for damage or drawings of male genitalia.

Seems like a crazy and ultimataely unsustainable business model to me.
DKLS2 h, 31 m ago

Totally agree, I visited a mate last night and she had ordered a small …Totally agree, I visited a mate last night and she had ordered a small mountain of clothes from Next for her kid, and he spent the next hour trying stuff on, getting grubby marks on some of the stuff, by the time they were done, she had chosen 5 items, with 5 times as much stuff to go back. Some of which couldn't be resold at full price due to the marks. Which reminds me of when I worked for a publisher and found out that any return stock was pulped, I asked why and was told its not worth paying someone to flick though each book for damage or drawings of male genitalia. Seems like a crazy and ultimataely unsustainable business model to me.

I don't buy that it's unsustainable, in any business giving crap customer service will lead to drop in sales.

And yes having a backlog of 3 weeks for returns is rubbish customer service it's one of the only things you ever would need to contact them for
Creatish1 h, 4 m ago

I don't buy that it's unsustainable, in any business giving crap customer …I don't buy that it's unsustainable, in any business giving crap customer service will lead to drop in sales.And yes having a backlog of 3 weeks for returns is rubbish customer service it's one of the only things you ever would need to contact them for

Its unsustainable in the sense that buyer behaviour as I saw this week will lead to changes in companies policies on returns.
Cant be that long before some mgt accountant flags up the costs of returns and how that impacts the bottom line.
psychobitchfromhell12 h, 16 m ago

Ok so we both know the law and we can both state the law. By both …Ok so we both know the law and we can both state the law. By both readings, a company does not need to refund within a week which is what OP was used to. Some companies are quicker to refund than others. The law is different depending on how you purchase the goods. The timescale the OP states are within all guidelines. Maybe they should just go to a shop and try the stuff on and buy what fits.

I agree, the OP is being somewhat unreasonable in their timescales.

My posts however, were in direct response to yours. A lot of buyers don't understand their consumer rights instore or online, clarifying posting errors helps those who read the posts and need assistance in the future.
Creatish14 h, 11 m ago

So it's consumers fault all there clothes fit different? I like online …So it's consumers fault all there clothes fit different? I like online shopping it's just I do not see how some big brands are going to stay in business, I will list a fewRiver islandArcadia group (Dorothy Perkins )Abercrombie (never have to chase but does take 3 weeks)Ones I have found good with timely responses and will use again because of thisASOSZalando

Did you see supershoppers this evening? If you return the whole order they have to refund the postage. This o didn't know. Might be worth looking through your refunds
It's always beg
Creatish14 h, 11 m ago

So it's consumers fault all there clothes fit different? I like online …So it's consumers fault all there clothes fit different? I like online shopping it's just I do not see how some big brands are going to stay in business, I will list a fewRiver islandArcadia group (Dorothy Perkins )Abercrombie (never have to chase but does take 3 weeks)Ones I have found good with timely responses and will use again because of thisASOSZalando

It's always been that way. I bought two identical skirts once in two different colours. Same size and style. One fitted but the other didn't.
Edited by: "psychobitchfromhell" 14th Jun
My wife works for a very well known high street retailer and their profits are getting eaten up by the returns .. mainly from online shopping - in one day last week they took over £3000 in sales but also gave out £1700 in refunds. It doesn't matter whether the item was bought in their store, another store or online.. they have to accept the refund and it comes out of their pocket.
arcangel11120 h, 38 m ago

My wife works for a very well known high street retailer and their profits …My wife works for a very well known high street retailer and their profits are getting eaten up by the returns .. mainly from online shopping - in one day last week they took over £3000 in sales but also gave out £1700 in refunds. It doesn't matter whether the item was bought in their store, another store or online.. they have to accept the refund and it comes out of their pocket.

That's a bit harsh. Refunds coming out of their wages?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants