Clothes tumble dryer vs dish washer

Posted 22nd Sep
may be a silly question and I understand it's not an apple-to-apple comparison. but..

we have a spare space after upgrade on utility area.. family is split between "tumble dryer" vs "dishwasher ".. just need to get your views on how your experience tells about the benefits?

I'm slightly tending towards tumble dryer , especially winter and rainy days
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

28 Comments
Surely it depends how much you like washing up? Also if your utility area is away from the kitchen it will be a pain taking things backwards and forwards?
A dishwasher is generally more useful as you would use it everyday. That said drying clothes indoors is damaging for your house, health and takes up space. Therefore in that situation I’d go with a tumble dryer. Try and go for one that sticks water in a tank as it avoids house getting steamed up.
Exactly that, you can do the washing up in winter but how easy is to dry clothes in winter ?
Tumble dryer everytime
Think of it as: do I have more washing up or laundry... the one you have the most is your shot
If they are equally the same then a tumble dryer that would be more useful
Another tumble dryer vote here. Dishwashers don’t always even wash the blooming stuff, and you can manually wash up.
Manually drying clothes on the other hand.... with a hair dryer?!
Seems the question is like marmite
Great to have your inputs
Tumble dryer every time for me
Have you got the height to put a tumble dryer on top of a dishwasher ? Washing machines and tumble dryers are often mounted that way.
Tumble dryer all the way , washing goes on the line most of the summer , but on rainy or foggy days I’m not sure how else I would get it dry . I don’t have a dishwasher , apart from days we have loads of people to dinner it’s not that much of a chore to wash up . To be honest I can wash , dry and put the dishes away from most meals in a fraction of the time it takes to load, wash and unload a dishwasher anyway .
dishwasher for me. depends on your house though. we have a heated airer from lakeland that dries clothes in the utility room in the winter. we get enough ventilation in there that it doesnt affect the house.

in our old house would have voted tumble dryer as we just couldnt get clothes dry in the winter without way too much moisture in the house and some of our walls would get wet and mouldy.
Another vote for Tumble Dryer.
I've got a dishwasher, although he's gone to the pub tonight.
cmdr_elito22/09/2019 19:34

A dishwasher is generally more useful as you would use it everyday. That …A dishwasher is generally more useful as you would use it everyday. That said drying clothes indoors is damaging for your house, health and takes up space. Therefore in that situation I’d go with a tumble dryer. Try and go for one that sticks water in a tank as it avoids house getting steamed up.

Condenser dryers that use a tank take much longer to dry clothes which uses more energy, why would a vented tumble dryer steam up your house its supposed to be vented through a wall to the outside
Dish washers are not very effective, you have to make sure you swill everything off completely before putting them in otherwise they come out dirty, so you might as well wash up
Mark_Hickman22/09/2019 21:29

Condenser dryers that use a tank take much longer to dry clothes which …Condenser dryers that use a tank take much longer to dry clothes which uses more energy, why would a vented tumble dryer steam up your house its supposed to be vented through a wall to the outside

That was true 10 years ago, mine is A++. Vented dryers use far more electric and whilst drying clothes more quickly they reduce the life of the clothing. Condensers/heat pump dryers do take longer but are far gentler on the clothes as they do not heat them as much and save electric. OP didn’t say whether their utility room has an outside wall they could vent it externally, many people still stick them out door or window when in use.

bosch-home.co.uk/product-list/washers-dryers/tumble-dryers/heat-pump-dryer/WTWH7561GB?breadcrumb=heatpumpdryers

Vs

bosch-home.co.uk/pro…0GB
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 22nd Sep
Mark_Hickman22/09/2019 21:31

Dish washers are not very effective, you have to make sure you swill …Dish washers are not very effective, you have to make sure you swill everything off completely before putting them in otherwise they come out dirty, so you might as well wash up

Again 10 years ago yes, my current dishwasher I never bother washing off the dishes and they still come out clean. I will scrape plates into the bin if there are leftover bits of pasta or rice but that’s it. It washes fine.
I use my dishwasher far more than my tumble dryer. I had a condenser one and hated it, now have my niece's cast off white knight that I gave her £20 for. It lives in the garage and gets used a couple of times a month. Dishwasher is on nearly every day.
Mark_Hickman22/09/2019 21:31

Dish washers are not very effective, you have to make sure you swill …Dish washers are not very effective, you have to make sure you swill everything off completely before putting them in otherwise they come out dirty, so you might as well wash up

Mine rarely leaves the dishes dirty. I never swill things first. I will admit to using puppy pre-wash on occasions. You can guarantee a Labrador will get your dishes clean
Edited by: "psychobitchfromhell" 22nd Sep
cmdr_elito22/09/2019 21:50

That was true 10 years ago, mine is A++. Vented dryers use far more …That was true 10 years ago, mine is A++. Vented dryers use far more electric and whilst drying clothes more quickly they reduce the life of the clothing. Condensers/heat pump dryers do take longer but are far gentler on the clothes as they do not heat them as much and save electric. OP didn’t say whether their utility room has an outside wall they could vent it externally, many people still stick them out door or window when in use.bosch-home.co.uk/product-list/washers-dryers/tumble-dryers/heat-pump-dryer/WTWH7561GB?breadcrumb=heatpumpdryersVshttps://www.bosch-home.co.uk/product-list/washers-dryers/tumble-dryers/vented-tumble-dryers/WTA79200GB

My vented tumble dryer is also A++ rated and has multiple settings to stop it drying to fast/hot etc if thats what you want to set it to.
I used a few condenser dryers in holiday properties and found them to be very poor in comparison, however i have no idea how old they were or the ratings etc so you probably are correct but as i have a vent hole id always stick with vented and lower heat settings but thats just my opinion/choice
cmdr_elito22/09/2019 21:59

Again 10 years ago yes, my current dishwasher I never bother washing off …Again 10 years ago yes, my current dishwasher I never bother washing off the dishes and they still come out clean. I will scrape plates into the bin if there are leftover bits of pasta or rice but that’s it. It washes fine.

But then over time do you not find the drain starts to smell or become clogged or is it ok long term ? Been years since i had a dish washer to be honest and i dont want to make my kids any more lazy than they are lol
psychobitchfromhell22/09/2019 22:11

Mine rarely leaves the dishes dirty. I never swill things first. I will …Mine rarely leaves the dishes dirty. I never swill things first. I will admit to using puppy pre-wash on occasions. You can guarantee a Labrador will get your dishes clean

Reminds me of the old pot noodle advert years ago, where male flat mates never wash up just lick clean and back in the cupboard
Mark_Hickman22/09/2019 22:18

Reminds me of the old pot noodle advert years ago, where male flat mates …Reminds me of the old pot noodle advert years ago, where male flat mates never wash up just lick clean and back in the cupboard

I must reiterate, I Only use puppy for the pre wash. The dishes do get a full wash after he has finished
Mark_Hickman22/09/2019 22:16

But then over time do you not find the drain starts to smell or become …But then over time do you not find the drain starts to smell or become clogged or is it ok long term ? Been years since i had a dish washer to be honest and i dont want to make my kids any more lazy than they are lol

It’s fine, I stick dishwasher cleaner shots through every few months and a bit of mr muscle down the kitchen sink every 6 months (more due to the sink) so it keeps everything flowing well. No problems or smells.
Mark_Hickman22/09/2019 22:18

Reminds me of the old pot noodle advert years ago, where male flat mates …Reminds me of the old pot noodle advert years ago, where male flat mates never wash up just lick clean and back in the cupboard

Lmao
Thought everyone had a tumble dryer. Definitely tumble dryer. I enjoy the 5 minutes peace and quiet doing this dishes
Mark_Hickman22/09/2019 21:29

Condenser dryers that use a tank take much longer to dry clothes which …Condenser dryers that use a tank take much longer to dry clothes which uses more energy, why would a vented tumble dryer steam up your house its supposed to be vented through a wall to the outside

Actully IF you use a modern ASHP condenser tumbledryer that holds around 5 litres of water in the tank its pretty efficient.
The fins need cleaning off very regularly though because the lint grids are naff.
Unless you have a BIG family a dishwasher is pointless, you will do what we do, stack it and not use it till you realise you have ran out of plates or cutlery and have to end up hand washing some of it. We use the tumble dryer much more often.
cmdr_elito22/09/2019 21:50

That was true 10 years ago, mine is A++. Vented dryers use far more …That was true 10 years ago, mine is A++. Vented dryers use far more electric and whilst drying clothes more quickly they reduce the life of the clothing. Condensers/heat pump dryers do take longer but are far gentler on the clothes as they do not heat them as much and save electric. OP didn’t say whether their utility room has an outside wall they could vent it externally, many people still stick them out door or window when in use.bosch-home.co.uk/product-list/washers-dryers/tumble-dryers/heat-pump-dryer/WTWH7561GB?breadcrumb=heatpumpdryersVshttps://www.bosch-home.co.uk/product-list/washers-dryers/tumble-dryers/vented-tumble-dryers/WTA79200GB

Heat pump dryers are the most efficient by some margin, vented are typically second most efficient and traditional condenser dryers are the least efficient.

Daftly, because condenser dryers are less efficient, the EU energy ratings for tumble dryers have different energy usage bands for vented and condenser dryers, so a B rated condenser might use more electricity per cycle than a C rated vented dryer.

You need to look at the KWh used per cycle if you want to compare them, although I wouldn't necessarily trust the figures given are what they'll actually use to get your washing dry.
Edited by: "melted" 23rd Sep
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants