Groups

CMS Systems

Whats the best CMS system you have used:

need to be able to upload pictures, with links etc. one main function be able to build a gift catalog, so that pictures can be uploaded and links for the item. and the ability to check out the gift if they want to buy it.

easy for people to update them selfs, i wan to see if there are any decent ones out tehre before i go ahead and create my own.

I had a look at Joomla but it did not allow you to upload pictures etc.

11 Comments

Try CMS Made Simple. I have been playing with it for a few days after not being too happy with the mix of separate Gallery (Coppermine), Shop (Zencart) and Forum (SMF) systems I had been playing with.

You can test it here:

opensourcecms.com/

I am currently trying to build a site for a charity with it as my good deed of the month. I have next to zero coding knowledge and have built a few shoddy sites from either premade packages or made with site building apps such as Dreamweaver and Frontpage.

CMS Made Simple seems to be the best I have found for bringing most of the functionality you may want in pre-coded add on modules. These all fit in nicely to the site layout and the way it is put together has got me thinking mode about the code without scaring me off. Have a look at my site where I am testing the features too. It is most definately WIP but has things like Front End Users, News, Photo Galleries and a Product Listing back end all in there, waiting for me to adjust for correct categories and look:

wirralanimalwelfare.org.uk/test/.

Sibeer +REP for Charity work

guru_the;5929707

Sibeer +REP for Charity work

:oops:

Based on my web skills they could easily end up worse off, but it will hopefully be better than the Google Blog they are using now. They were so poorly advertised on the net that, despite being based round the corner, I didn't know they existed when I was finding my rescue mutt 9 months ago.

I personally use Joomla. Easy to use once you've got the hang of it but BEFORE you get the hang of it, there is a bit of a learning curve.

Yeah ive used Joomla.

You say check out a gift. Do you mean view it or buy it?

hypnoticstate;5929859

I personally use Joomla. Easy to use once you've got the hang of it but … I personally use Joomla. Easy to use once you've got the hang of it but BEFORE you get the hang of it, there is a bit of a learning curve.

Quite a lot of the feedback I read said that about Joomla. Joomla seems to be the industry leader, and definitely a solid product. As such it may be better for a site you are passing on management off as it will be easier to find another dev who knows how to use it.

Many people on the testing site listed above though seem to think that there are better options both in simplicity and functionality terms these days. When I read up on CMS Made Simple that seemed to be far easier to pick up and is capable enough for most tasks. If you have a look at some of the sites here you can see that it is pretty versatile:

forum.cmsmadesimple.org/ind…tml

Not trying to come across as their marketing department, just really impressed with their free product so far. With regards shops and payments, there is loads of info on their site on how to do this.

joomla is bad security wise and is sooo huge it will be a slow website if used on shared hosting (trust me i know)

i use wordpress for my cms needs, its so simple to theme it and so many mods to add to it, there is an e-commerce plugin and picture galleries so use them together to get what you want

Original Poster

I want to create a wedding website for my sister, and on there will be a gift catalog, so my sister can upload the gifts they want for thier wedding with links to them etc, so say a toaster in Argos, she can upload the picture and the link to the item on argos website for people to view.

Also if they are going to get that for them the ability to check that item out so that no one else can get it.

I am pretty sure you would be able to do that in any of the above. Definitely in CMS Made Simple and Joomla, pretty sure wordpress would offer a similar option. Simply add the product with a stock of one (or however many they want of the item) and a link in the description. When a registered user checks it out then the stock is gone.

Great idea though. Saves having to get everything from one place to keep a wedding list on the go. Will be using that myself in a couple years time.

faevilangel;5930099

joomla is bad security wise and is sooo huge it will be a slow website if … joomla is bad security wise and is sooo huge it will be a slow website if used on shared hosting (trust me i know)i use wordpress for my cms needs, its so simple to theme it and so many mods to add to it, there is an e-commerce plugin and picture galleries so use them together to get what you want

I use joomla on a shared hosting account (for a few websites over 2 separate hosts). Runs very smoothly and quickly. I'd also throw in that if used properly, Joomla is probably one of, if not THE most secure widely used CMS available.

Just my opinions :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Whoops SNP...Grenfell style cladding all over Glasgow1022
      2. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17876397
      3. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7251373
      4. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force2543

See more discussions