Co-Op Food/Membership - my personal savings and tips

Found 5th Oct 2017
First of all, I appreciate that most Co-Op food branches (if not all) are convenience stores so the price of some items are not as cheap as many other budget stores but in my experience if you use their membership and offers smartly you’ll make some really good savings.

Co-Op Membership

Their membership card gives you back 5% when you buy Co-Op branded products and you’ll also bank 1% for your chosen charity. The membership card costs £1. Your 5% is put back on to your card which you can use as payment for future spends right away.

With a Co-Op card you usually get a printed coupon once a week. This can be a money off your shop (£1 off £10, £1.50 off £15) or money off a particular product. Some weeks you might get both.

As an example, last week I was given £1 off any Co-Op pizza. The great thing with these vouchers is that they have no minimum spend and can be used on existing offers. I was able to get 2 small pizzas on 2 for £1 plus 10% off with NUS (moving on to that in a sec), 5% back to my Co-Op Membership Card and then the £1 off meant I got both of these for free (plus the small credit to my membership card).

Same with other vouchers like £1 off any milk/dairy product. 2 x 4 pints of milk are on offer always at 8 pints for £2. Less 10% with NUS, 5% Membership then £1 off voucher makes it about 71p for 8 pints. Of course, you need the voucher for that and it isn't guaranteed but 86p for 4 pints is decent enough.

You can sign up for this membership card online here.

NUS Card

For those with an NUS card you get 10% off your total shop (I think this excludes Midland branches) and from memory one year there was 20% off over Black Friday/Cyber Monday. With your card you get sent a £5 voucher for using at Co-Op.

Not got an NUS Card? Take a look here - Credit to @ScroopEgerton

Need to renew your NUS? Get £25 worth of vouchers - Credit to @Boynamedsue

Co-Op Join In

When you get your Membership card make sure you register it online. Every so often you’ll see some opportunities to get involved.

Couple of weeks ago I participated in an event where I had to host a dinner party (pretty easy, I mean…who doesn’t eat!?) but the great thing was they sent me a £20 voucher to buy anything from Co-Op (£22 with NUS plus a £1 membership credit) and also 6 bottles of wine(!!). The questionnaire wasn’t taxing in the slightest. Few months ago there was a Fair-trade event and they sent me vouchers to try out some fair-trade items instore. You need to log in to check what is available.

Co-Op Electrical

You can also collect your 5% on spends at Co-Op Electrical and you can also spend your membership balances here too.

Quite a few deals have been shared recently for Co-Op Electrical and have gone down well.

--------

At the moment i’ve got a credit on my Membership card of £30.58 plus £28 in vouchers meaning with a 10% NUS “top-up” i’m up to about £65 for Christmas (don't worry, you’re all invited).

Be interested to hear what others think of the scheme if they're participating.
Community Updates
Misc
19 Comments
We have a membership card, but generally only buy the on offer or reduced price products there. Points eventually become useful and the till vouchers are often for what we need.
Good Post. Have the NUS but sadly don't have one near after the one in Harrow closed few years ago grrrrrrrrr
Good post and as a reminder. I don't know if co-op (southern) still share out the profit to members at the end of the year as there used to be a points system for purchases.
splender3 m ago

Good post and as a reminder. I don't know if co-op (southern) still share …Good post and as a reminder. I don't know if co-op (southern) still share out the profit to members at the end of the year as there used to be a points system for purchases.

They still do dividend points but i'm not sure since the introduction of the Membership card if they've opted to pay out yet. You can check your dividend points from your Membership account. I opted to exclude that as i'm not sure really until they decide to payout if theres any benefit really.

You used to get 1200 dividend points if you had a CoOp bank account (think was split 2 x 600 twice a year) but I think they dropped that when their business was restructured.
Added in to description that you can also collect 5% on purchases at Co-Op Electrical and also spend your credit there too. I thought it was just a limited time offer but reading my email again its permanent.
shabbird36 m ago

Good Post. Have the NUS but sadly don't have one near after the one in …Good Post. Have the NUS but sadly don't have one near after the one in Harrow closed few years ago grrrrrrrrr

My nearest two co-ops have shut too.

Interesting to know you can wangle stuff for free though.
shabbird3 h, 34 m ago

Good Post. Have the NUS but sadly don't have one near after the one in …Good Post. Have the NUS but sadly don't have one near after the one in Harrow closed few years ago grrrrrrrrr

We just had one open here a few miles away
got some money off vouchers in the post
the one here is just a glorified petrol station

got a co-op membership card but never used it
not got NUS
Great post, going to sign up to go along with my NUS card. Thanks op.
Sidney19795 m ago

Great post, going to sign up to go along with my NUS card. Thanks op.

You're welcome
I've got a card, but on the one occasion I chose to purchase an item from Coop Electrical I was told it was not eligible for any offers, so clearly the 5% cashback offer has some significant exclusions
Edited by: "itm" 5th Oct 2017
itm15 h, 18 m ago

I've got a card, but on the one occasion I chose to purchase an item from …I've got a card, but on the one occasion I chose to purchase an item from Coop Electrical I was told it was not eligible for any offers, so clearly the 5% cashback offer has some significant exclusions

Yep, just double checked and you're right that it isn't all product. Quite a few included though...

32188975-mXHLg.jpg
I like going to Coop when I want to pay full price for something but only get half of it.
magicjay198622 h, 48 m ago

They still do dividend points but i'm not sure since the introduction of …They still do dividend points but i'm not sure since the introduction of the Membership card if they've opted to pay out yet. You can check your dividend points from your Membership account. I opted to exclude that as i'm not sure really until they decide to payout if theres any benefit really. You used to get 1200 dividend points if you had a CoOp bank account (think was split 2 x 600 twice a year) but I think they dropped that when their business was restructured.

Yes, I think some things got lost in the restructuring but there seems to be localised differences. I just looked at Coop energy and at Co-op Midshires, anyone can join, if you switched your fuel to them, you can share the dividends at Co-op Midshire. However there was no illustrative calculation as to what range of dividends that you may possibly get for £500, £1000, £1500 spending in fuel on a range of profits made by the group that could be shared out as dividends.

But their local community scheme is excellent, I don't miss my dividend vouchers because of this.
itm16 h, 43 m ago

I've got a card, but on the one occasion I chose to purchase an item from …I've got a card, but on the one occasion I chose to purchase an item from Coop Electrical I was told it was not eligible for any offers, so clearly the 5% cashback offer has some significant exclusions

Never ever any dividend points or cashback on Coop Electricals from donkeys of years ago, except quidco and tcp as external schemes.
Monday = new coupon day...£1 off ANY Fruit & Vegetable and 50p off ANY frozen product...free stuff!!
Started popping in on occasion since this thread was posted found a few bargains
included rtc co-op washing liquid £1.50 32 washes
now have a massive 86p on my account

Just had a letter from them won a Ghost walk
including travel B&B in a 4 star hotel
Wongy1107 m ago

Started popping in on occasion since this thread was posted found a few …Started popping in on occasion since this thread was posted found a few bargainsincluded rtc co-op washing liquid £1.50 32 washesnow have a massive 86p on my accountJust had a letter from them won a Ghost walk including travel B&B in a 4 star hotel

Oooh nice!
Co-Op currently trialling members adding their offers direct to their card (like Waitrose Pick Your Own). Last two weeks it has been £2 off £20 and just some others. Much prefer this to the till receipt which easily gets lost.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants