Coastal visit in England

Posted 21st Jul
Myself and the partner are looking to visit the English coast for a short break.
We are interested in hikes around the coast which gives nice views.
We'll be driving from London.

Can anyone recommend where would be a nice location to visit, we are thinking 3 days during the week.

Thanks!
Community Updates
Ask
22 Comments
Check out the area between porlock and Lynton in Devon.
If you don't mind a long drive there the Northumberland coast is gorgeous and very under rated.

Closer to London and likely to be a little warmer, the jurassic coast in Devon and Dorset would fit the bill, maybe with Lyme Regis as a base which is a nice little town in it's own right.
Sorry OP, can i jump on your Q and ask the same but about Scotland? nearer the border the better really. looking for a 4 day break in Scotland, on the coast but with things to do and open spaces,walks etc?
unclejim2721/07/2020 14:04

Check out the area between porlock and Lynton in Devon.

Is it nice there? Would you describe it as dog-friendly? It’s practically on my doorstep and I’ve never been!
Bude is Lovely
shelliebish21/07/2020 15:00

Is it nice there? Would you describe it as dog-friendly? It’s practically o …Is it nice there? Would you describe it as dog-friendly? It’s practically on my doorstep and I’ve never been!

It's like alot of that coast, tiny coves and villages to clifftop walks. Absolutely beautiful.
It's as dog friendly as anywhere, just be aware if on the clifftop walks.
EN1GMA21/07/2020 14:25

Sorry OP, can i jump on your Q and ask the same but about Scotland? nearer …Sorry OP, can i jump on your Q and ask the same but about Scotland? nearer the border the better really. looking for a 4 day break in Scotland, on the coast but with things to do and open spaces,walks etc?

please go to the Isle of Skye, fair warning: you won’t want to leave though
toddyj998721/07/2020 15:09

Bude is Lovely

Bude looks nice, apart from the beach, what else can one do?
I would wait until the last minute and let the weather forecast sway your choices. Nothing worse than driving 100+ miles from sunshine to arrive at a destination where it rains for 3 days

Went to lanzarote last march and there was a heatwave in the UK and 20c every day. We had 16-18c in lanzarote and rained the whole time!
Take your pick of the cornish Coast. Porthtowan, portreath, gwithian hayle, porthkidney (lelant) , carbid Bay , four beaches in St ives , then around St just in to lands end.
Or, if wanting different light, the Helford coast around Falmouth truro way.
And for the north west there is..... drum roll...... BLACKPOOL!
North Wales coast is stunning and doesn't get half the recognition it deserves,
Mendoza21/07/2020 15:25

please go to the Isle of Skye, fair warning: you won’t want to leave though

How far into Scotland is it? Thanks
EN1GMA21/07/2020 17:17

How far into Scotland is it? Thanks

good question, halfway maybe, it’s past Glasgow, and west
Eastbourne. Not too far to drive from London. Explore the Seven Sisters and Beachy Head to the west. If you've got time, add Dungeness to your itinerary (east of Eastbourne past Hastings).
Instow in Devon, south west coast walk is wonderful, check Instow Arms and The Boathouse. Appledore you can walk across to Westward Ho. It is just fabulous and Bude is up the road, someone has mentioned Lynton and again that is not far.
Whitby, Scarborough and Robin Hood would get my vote but they're quite a few hours drive for you
Good suggestions above. Lynton/Lynmouth is nice (or was before covid, probably all closed now) Also quite fond of minehead, actually a nice town considering theres a butlins there, lovely big beach, steam railway too. Robin hood is lovely, very steep. Only been to whitby once to see the Grand Tour but I really liked the place.

Can also recommend wells-next-the-sea in norfolk, nice place to walk round too.

Most beautiful seaside resort I've been to by far, and amazing walks and views is St Ives. Lots of lovely places in cornwall, padstowe springs to mind. Shame its frickin miles from civilisation.
Edited by: "MrKrabs" 21st Jul
Kammykay21/07/2020 16:52

And for the north west there is..... drum roll...... BLACKPOOL!

Plenty of AONB in the north-west, including the Lake District, Forest of Bowland and the Solway Coast.

Bit of a trek from London, but well worth it for a three day break, in my opinion.

*Formby beach is also lovely (and enormous)
Good thread, saved.
One day in Wareham, second day at waymouth then head back to London.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants