Cockroach Milk - Would you drink it?

Found 4th Jun
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
I wouldn't be surprised if this became mainstream, look at how many people drink Actimel
Dare I ask
MadeDixonsCry40 s ago

I wouldn't be surprised if this became mainstream, look at how many people …I wouldn't be surprised if this became mainstream, look at how many people drink Actimel

whats in Actimel?
MadeDixonsCry6 m ago

I wouldn't be surprised if this became mainstream, look at how many people …I wouldn't be surprised if this became mainstream, look at how many people drink Actimel

And Yakult, which is made from a Japanese dude's poo.
Also, what about all the red/pink items that contain cochineal? People obviously don't care about that. Either that or they're too ignorant to read ingredients
MadeDixonsCry13 m ago

Also, what about all the red/pink items that contain cochineal? People …Also, what about all the red/pink items that contain cochineal? People obviously don't care about that. Either that or they're too ignorant to read ingredients

not quite the same though is it? the dye is something chemically extracted from the bugs

the 'milk' is bits of the bug
brilly17 m ago

not quite the same though is it? the dye is something chemically extracted …not quite the same though is it? the dye is something chemically extracted from the bugsthe 'milk' is bits of the bug

Items with cochineal cannot be marketed as suitable for vegetarians. Surely that means it contains at least part of the bugs? Cow's milk is mechanically extracted from cows but it can still be marketed as suitable for vegetarians
MadeDixonsCry4 m ago

Items with cochineal cannot be marketed as suitable for vegetarians. …Items with cochineal cannot be marketed as suitable for vegetarians. Surely that means it contains at least part of the bugs? Cow's milk is mechanically extracted from cows but it can still be marketed as suitable for vegetarians

vegetarians dont eat animal flesh - i guess bug parts would be under that and there would be potential contamination even though there ' shouldn't ' be
but are rice/flour/cereals etc etc excluded from vegetarian diet due to the number of dead bugs in them?
brilly5 m ago

vegetarians dont eat animal flesh - i guess bug parts would be under that …vegetarians dont eat animal flesh - i guess bug parts would be under that and there would be potential contamination even though there ' shouldn't ' bebut are rice/flour/cereals etc etc excluded from vegetarian diet due to the number of dead bugs in them?

Doesn't that put cochineal and cockroach milk in the same league?
MadeDixonsCry5 m ago

Doesn't that put cochineal and cockroach milk in the same league?

well from what was said on the first article it seems like the roaches are hand carved and whole bits taken out which are the 'milk'
the milk is a bit of inside of the bug and a massive collection of compounds
just going by the article here! says labour intensive etc etc

cochineal is the extraction of a single chemical compound carminic acid
its all dissolved up (at which point is seems a good time to filter out body parts..dunno) the salt of the dye is then produced from this solution by adding an alkali to form salt crystals
brilly28 m ago

well from what was said on the first article it seems like the roaches are …well from what was said on the first article it seems like the roaches are hand carved and whole bits taken out which are the 'milk' the milk is a bit of inside of the bug and a massive collection of compoundsjust going by the article here! says labour intensive etc etccochineal is the extraction of a single chemical compound carminic acidits all dissolved up (at which point is seems a good time to filter out body parts..dunno) the salt of the dye is then produced from this solution by adding an alkali to form salt crystals

All sounds very delicious!
brilly58 m ago

well from what was said on the first article it seems like the roaches are …well from what was said on the first article it seems like the roaches are hand carved and whole bits taken out which are the 'milk' the milk is a bit of inside of the bug and a massive collection of compoundsjust going by the article here! says labour intensive etc etccochineal is the extraction of a single chemical compound carminic acidits all dissolved up (at which point is seems a good time to filter out body parts..dunno) the salt of the dye is then produced from this solution by adding an alkali to form salt crystals

Given that cochineal comes from an insect (by whatever process) and that items with cochineal cannot be marketed as vegetarian makes it equally as gross as cockroach milk.
MadeDixonsCry4 m ago

Given that cochineal comes from an insect (by whatever process) and that …Given that cochineal comes from an insect (by whatever process) and that items with cochineal cannot be marketed as vegetarian makes it equally as gross as cockroach milk.

come on... you are getting sillier. its nothing like the same (in theory)
btw what do you think is in your water?
I once went to an alternative street food event in Bristol and ate an insect burger for the first time. I was told it was mainly crickets, grasshoppers and the like, no cockroaches. Tasted ok and was quite filling but the smell was a bit offputting, reminded me of the dried mealworms I used to feed the birds in the garden. I guess they are a reasonable way to access protein for people in undeveloped countries where meat is scarce but I don't think l'll be in any hurry to try one again.
brilly23 m ago

come on... you are getting sillier. its nothing like the same (in …come on... you are getting sillier. its nothing like the same (in theory)btw what do you think is in your water?

You're trolling me.

I make my own water, Bear Grylls style. Nothing added.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants