CoD Black Ops: Feedback

Found 18th Feb 2011
One for the gamers.

I finally picked up a copy of Black Ops and played it for the first time last night and boy, was I dis-appointed.

The game has been out for a few months now and, as a casual gamer, I wanted to get an idea of what the general consensus was of it compared to the previous versions.

I'd imagine, overall, there are more people who enjoy the game than don't but I get the impression that there are a significant majority who, like me, think it isn't as good as MW2 or 4.

Fair assumption?

If so, what are the major hates of the game?

There are always a lot of pro/against comments in Black Ops deal threads but not much detail as to why.

24 Comments

it's COD
that is all

For me, it's one of my favorite games at the moment.

i cant stand all the cut scenes and story line you should be able to skip all that and just get on with the game

Heh It's the same game they been churning out for years. I got MW2 and sold it 7 days later as I got sick of the Killcam telling me I was shooting 1 metre to the left or right of the person when I was shooting at his head.

Black Ops seemed better but got stale quick for me. Sometimes it goes great online and other times (with same people) it seems like it's ignoring ya bullets. That plus the disconnections, lag, host migrations, random console crashing and half the team not spawning in the game has meant it's now sat on my shelf.

I will complete the SP campaign but as for multiplayer it can get lost Killzone 3 is about to come out and it is FAR FAR superior in gameplay and fun (having played the beta multiplayer and the retail product too).

I'm not saying I won't play it again online but really for me Killzone 2 and now 3 are much much more fun not to mention more reliable to play.

PS: Also CoD's been hacked pretty badly recently too by some people I hear.

Original Poster

For me, it comes across as a poor version of the franchise.

The player movement isn't very fluid
The character definition is poor
Un-necessary touches e.g. Cowards Way out

Original Poster

dcx_badass

Over rated like the rest of the recent series.

That's one of the advantages of being a casual gamer - you don't get sucked into the hype so don't have high expectations.

Having said that, I do have expectations that the quality of this version should be the same as previous versions but, to me, it fails to hit that benchmark.

its alright passes the time and good online features, its just not amazing

Bought both on release date. Still have MW2 but got rid of Black Ops after finishing the campaign. The graphics just seemed to take a step back IMO.

Gun game is a welcomed addition to the consoles and all the other stuff ripped from the pc mod community.

I think the games solid on multiplayer but the other releases dont seem to grip me like cod4, But Cod 4 felt like alot of other online games put together that were feeling stale for me at the time. counterstrike and battlefield 2. Cod 4 refreashed my enjoyment for online fps

Edited by: "antony4462" 18th Feb 2011

Campaign is mediocre, multiplayer is on par with and at times better than mw2 imo

In my opinion the COD series went downhill when number 3 came out. The original, United Offense and 2 were great, cant stand these new ones.

SP was OK, and I played MP for a while and it's OK, but for stupid knife kills, where the guy timewarps towards you - or so it seems, and no amount of bullet hits puts him down

then bought BFBC2 and now play this online all the time (170 playing hours so far)
BFBC2>Black Ops

Well, I played it all the time for a week trying to get into it, but couldn't. Incidentallty this is the first CoD game I've played. I honestly think that Battlefield Bad Comapny 2 is much better in terms of online gameplay.

That said, I hardly get to play my PS3 these days, and when I do it's usually fifa I play...

I prefer Black Ops to any game at the moment. I found the campaign mediocre but still enjoyable, and the online is a lot better, in my opinion, to the other games. I haven't experienced any of this severe lag in great quantities as people have reported, and I only have 2mb internet speed. So I'm not really sure what the problem is there :P

Personally WaW was my favourite CoD game in terms of guns, maps and such, but the amount of time you'd spend levelling up really got on my nerves.

If you're playing on your own then you will get bored pretty quickly. The Xbox 360's party chat function really brings a different dimension to CoD, as I usually have 4 or 5 other friends also playing at the same time without the interruptions of idiots playing music or anything else through their headphones.

antony4462

Gun game is a welcomed addition to the consoles and all the other stuff … Gun game is a welcomed addition to the consoles and all the other stuff ripped from the pc mod community.I think the games solid on multiplayer but the other releases dont seem to grip me like cod4, But Cod 4 felt like alot of other online games put together that were feeling stale for me at the time. counterstrike and battlefield 2. Cod 4 refreashed my enjoyment for online fps

I think "Gun Game" should play in reverse; the bigger/more powerful weaponry at the start (not towards the end).

That way, you have to have more in your bag of skills at the end of a match, not the beginning. The games should also last a little longer.

Those not very adept at the more accurate weapons feel they have some progression rather than getting to level 2 or 3 only to be wiped out by somebody else who has got to 10 or more that can fire a rocket powered grenade (or whatever) at them from the other side of the map.

BFN,

fp.

Bought Blops bon day of release on ps3. Couldn't get into it. Tried and tried. Thought it was a definate back step from Mw1 and 2.
Then it's all come out about how bad it is on Ps3 and Pc. Apparntly someone on one of the Call Of Duty forums has said that there could be a lawsuit as to why the versions were so much worse than the xbox one. (yet the Ps3 is the more powerful machine of the two).
Mw2 has been hacked to death on Psn right now. Started playing Mw1 again.

Treat myself (or son!!!) to a slim Xbox before Christmas and definately think this is the better of the two for online gaming. And with the big saving on Blops at Tesco's i just had to buy it for the Xbox. (Ps3 controller is much better though!!) Will see how i get on before no doubt sticking it on fleabay.

Apparantly the Xbox plays the game at more fps than the ps3 version. which is appalling if you ask me.

Hey ho, if you can't beat them, join em!

gmdlogan

Bought Blops bon day of release on ps3. Couldn't get into it. Tried and … Bought Blops bon day of release on ps3. Couldn't get into it. Tried and tried. Thought it was a definate back step from Mw1 and 2. Then it's all come out about how bad it is on Ps3 and Pc. Apparntly someone on one of the Call Of Duty forums has said that there could be a lawsuit as to why the versions were so much worse than the xbox one. (yet the Ps3 is the more powerful machine of the two).Mw2 has been hacked to death on Psn right now. Started playing Mw1 again.Treat myself (or son!!!) to a slim Xbox before Christmas and definately think this is the better of the two for online gaming. And with the big saving on Blops at Tesco's i just had to buy it for the Xbox. (Ps3 controller is much better though!!) Will see how i get on before no doubt sticking it on fleabay. Apparantly the Xbox plays the game at more fps than the ps3 version. which is appalling if you ask me.Hey ho, if you can't beat them, join em!

This makes sense. Though the PS3 is capable of performing better, it rarely does. This is because games are mostly made for the xbox 360 and made to be as good as they can be on there. Once the developers have done this, they know the specs will be playable on the PS3 as it's technically capable of more. Still, this means that because it was made originally for the xbox 360 that it inevitably is more stable on that console as problems occur when porting to other platforms.

Amazing game

Fantastic game. Maybe the people putting it down need to improve.

SO STOP BITCHING, AND GET TO IT SOLDIER!

Edited by: "jonny619447" 18th Feb 2011

Playing World At War atm. Imo owns Black Ops hands down.

I love it and I have been gaming for a long long time, playing first person shooters from the good old doom days

I didn't play the single player at all (What? waste time not leveling up), its a game that is surely best enjoyable for the online play. You should briefy play the single player to learn the controls. Servers have had there problems and random drop outs etc can be frustrating but when it all works it is amazing.

Some people get frustrated as they are crap at it and that is understandable, cant help being crap.

It just does everything so well, I play them all and have played them all, Battlefield included which I also like, the vehicles in battlefield give it that extra dimension.

As far as online action then Black ops is unrivalled, for me it is the most addictive of the FPS online games with people becoming obsessed with leveling op, I love the clan tag designer etc.

Of course everyone is different, and as ever things and people at the top of their game so to speak will always get knocked. I cant say much more than I really like playing it online, fair play if you think its a crap game, if you enjoy it yourself then why even care what others think, I guess numbers speak for themselves, the amount of people online playing it is amazing.

Love the kill cam and the final kill cam can give you endless lol's

Personally, I find the Treyarch developed games are merely rehashes of the previous Infinity Ward game and so don't really push the series on like the IW games do.

kareandy

i cant stand all the cut scenes and story line you should be able to skip … i cant stand all the cut scenes and story line you should be able to skip all that and just get on with the game

you can
Post a comment
@
    Text