Coffee grinder help

Found 12th Dec 2017
Need help with purchasing a coffee grinder. I'm after something non manual and I've heard conical Burr grinders are best???

thanks in advance for any suggestions

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
10 Comments

Depends how much you want to spend I have one of these
johnlewis.com/bod….ds

I find it does the job well

Original Poster

damster20 m ago

Depends how much you want to spend I have one of …Depends how much you want to spend I have one of thesehttps://www.johnlewis.com/bodum-bistro-electric-coffee-grinder-black/p1943653?sku=234381025&s_kwcid=2dx92700028205588472&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6pWDjceE2AIV7LXtCh37GgpKEAQYAyABEgIUkvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds I find it does the job well

That interesting, I was looking at the same brand but different model.....does the one you have make decent espresso??

That's the main reason for getting this.

Other model....
google.co.uk/sea…J1U

will need to pay a lot more than £26 for a electric burr grinder

i use an old school manual Hario Skerton adjustable ceramic burr grinder

32708216-oRzZg.jpg

northbank188622 m ago

That interesting, I was looking at the same brand but different …That interesting, I was looking at the same brand but different model.....does the one you have make decent espresso??That's the main reason for getting this.Other model....https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=ms-android-hmd-rev2&ei=CtsvWv6XEoyakwW6rpvABw&q=bodum++coffee+grinder+amazon&oq=bodum++coffee+grinder+amazon&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.3..0j0i7i30k1j0j0i30k1.7330.7801.0.8604.4.4.0.0.0.0.171.608.0j4.4.0....0...1.1j4.64.mobile-gws-serp..1.3.455....0.oek1CHeXJ1U

It does indeed, but make sure you have decent coffee to go with it. Single origin coffee is best, there are a whole array of great coffee roasters around the UK to choose from. Just becareful to make sure not to over grind, the motor on the one I posted may overheat. But that’s not a deal breaker, it gives the coffee more time to fully develop before making a brew. Hope that helps your decision making process.

damster48 m ago

It does indeed, but make sure you have decent coffee to go with it. Single …It does indeed, but make sure you have decent coffee to go with it. Single origin coffee is best, there are a whole array of great coffee roasters around the UK to choose from. Just becareful to make sure not to over grind, the motor on the one I posted may overheat. But that’s not a deal breaker, it gives the coffee more time to fully develop before making a brew. Hope that helps your decision making process.

Stop talking rubbish. It's impossible to make espresso from that grinder. It cannot provide a consistent grind necessary for espresso. In fact, it's pointless buying any decent coffee for it as it will just ruin the coffee. Hario Skerton is the cheapest solution for espresso.

Go for a Hario. I've got the slim - ideal for espresso

damster4 h, 9 m ago

Depends how much you want to spend I have one of …Depends how much you want to spend I have one of thesehttps://www.johnlewis.com/bodum-bistro-electric-coffee-grinder-black/p1943653?sku=234381025&s_kwcid=2dx92700028205588472&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6pWDjceE2AIV7LXtCh37GgpKEAQYAyABEgIUkvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds I find it does the job well

Sorry to say, but this grinder you can use for spices, but it’s total rubbish for the coffee. Grinders for coffee- only with the burrs, the blade ones are completely useless. I work in the coffee industry and can assure you, that if you want to make a GOOD coffee, this Bodum grinder isn’t the one.

Original Poster

varaha2 h, 5 m ago

Sorry to say, but this grinder you can use for spices, but it’s total r …Sorry to say, but this grinder you can use for spices, but it’s total rubbish for the coffee. Grinders for coffee- only with the burrs, the blade ones are completely useless. I work in the coffee industry and can assure you, that if you want to make a GOOD coffee, this Bodum grinder isn’t the one.

Thanks

This one has a burr.......will it be sufficient??

amazon.co.uk/Bod…KL4

northbank188613 m ago

Thanks This one has a burr.......will it be …Thanks This one has a burr.......will it be sufficient??https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bodum-10903-01UK-Bistro-Electric-Grinder/dp/B00525XKL4

Looks much better, that’s the way you want to go. Burrs give you consistency of grind and a possibility of adjustment (fine/coarse), so you can enjoy your coffee. Check reviews and see what users say.

Rule of thumb - always spend more on the grinder than the rest of the coffee equipment.

Forget the blade grinders, there's no chance they will work for espresso. The cheap hand grinders will give fairly consistent results, but still aren't capable of a good grind (to the point of dialing it in for a proper, timed extraction).

You're much better off buying something decent, second hand through gumtree/eBay/coffeeforums. They normally go for half the original price.

Minimum entry point is along the lines of a graef, breville smart grinder ('sage by Heston' here in UK) or rancillio rocky. A step up would be Eureka mignon, compak k3, etc...

You can also find some grinders with dosers on them for peanuts on eBay (ex catering) but they tend to be quite unsightly, bulky, and a pain to use.

To learn more have a read through some forums such as coffeeforums.co.uk

I'm currently using a kinu m47 which is a delightful, high end hand grinder, while I have a doserless anfim ks in Australia.
Post a comment
@
    Text