Coffee Machine Advice

Posted 29th Nov
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone had any advice on what coffee machine I should buy? I'm looking to get one for my partner that uses ground coffee as well as pods. As a non-coffee drinker I don't really know what i'm looking at and as she's a former barista she likes a good coffee. I've got a budget of up to £249 but struggling to know what to get, any recommendations/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
If your partner is a former barista then she probably wouldn't want a pod machine. A bean-to-cup machine might be more suitable. How does she make her coffee at the moment?
That's what I originally thought but apparently she likes the idea of having both. We were given someone's old Delonghi one and so she used both ground coffee and the occasional pod too. I'm assuming there isn't a bean-to-cup machine that does pods?
I work for a specialty coffee company. Best and only go to range of home machines is Sage imo. I've seen quite a few lines on offer at about 40%. The Opal capsule system is what I recommend for pods but it doesn't have any milk steaming capability. Haven't come across any pod ground & pod machines.
Delonghi or Sage. You will not find bean to cup that does pods. Cause who wants pods if they want to good coffee and good value/save environment
poshfan198829/11/2019 11:55

That's what I originally thought but apparently she likes the idea of …That's what I originally thought but apparently she likes the idea of having both. We were given someone's old Delonghi one and so she used both ground coffee and the occasional pod too. I'm assuming there isn't a bean-to-cup machine that does pods?

i have a delonghi it’s 6 years old and has never missed a beat. Honestly don’t bother with pods if you are planning on a bean to cup machine. There are zero benefits to pods when you have a bean version, it’s no quicker using pods and is way more expensive.

Link 1 cheapest I know nothing about

Link 2 updated model of the one I bought if you can stretch it’s a great machine

Link 3 the updated model of mine with milk attachment (what i would buy next time Because I drink latte downside would be cleaning it )

any questions give me a shout
This one here is popular and seems to be a good shout.

amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1

Also same price in argos.
Thanks for all the advice everyone, this might be a stupid question but with the bean-to-cup ones do the steam arms heat the milk up nicely for hot chocolate? As she's a huge hot chocolate fan and apparently it's not a proper hot chocolate unless it's made with hot milk!
Personal recommendation: Melitta SOLO & Milk E953-102, Bean to Cup Coffee Machine, with Milk Steamer, Silver amazon.co.uk/dp/…PGT

Fantastic machine. And today at a fantastic price!! I would pay this everyday of the week. Easy to clean/maintain. Easy to empty drip/grind bin. All internal parts for brewing are the same in the whole range so easy to get replacement parts if ever needed out of guarantee.

This machine is worth (imo) every penny of the top price it was when I paid so would jump at it for £200 less given the chance again.

Steam wand makes excellent temp milk for lattes/hot chocolate & boiling water for teas/cup warming.

You can adjust the temp of the machine over lower/normal/high for preferred brewing and has a three bean strength selection for those who like a stronger shot.
Pods always taste horrible.

I'm using a 10yr old £45 delonghi coffee machine. Can still knock out a cracking coffee with it. And it has steam wand.

Have to grind beans first but then I have control over size of grind.
poshfan198829/11/2019 14:41

Thanks for all the advice everyone, this might be a stupid question but …Thanks for all the advice everyone, this might be a stupid question but with the bean-to-cup ones do the steam arms heat the milk up nicely for hot chocolate? As she's a huge hot chocolate fan and apparently it's not a proper hot chocolate unless it's made with hot milk!

And yes. I like to make hot choc in cup with milk as normal then heat until boiling using the wand, makes it taste totally different.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions