Coffee mate...

Found 8th May
Ok, I carry coffee and coffee mate aid with a flask of boiling water, so I can make a hot drink when I want one. Just sat here and read the bump on the back of the coffee mate and it seems that is 'fat free when prepared',yet it has 6.5g of fat per 100g. Now whether this wording means it is fat free when manufactured, or fat free when mixed with water, somehow fat is either appearing from thin air or disappearing into thin air.
2937028-YfbZu.jpg
Community Updates
MiscCoffee
13 Comments
Fat free means it has a limited amount of fat per 100g. So fat free doesn't mean what it says. Also some products replace fat with something else like sugar. I avoid many low fat or diet products and go for the original. I avoid gluten free to as some are packed full or sugar and fat.. Always read the labels like you have done
Edited by: "wayners" 8th May
when prepared = the nirmal way to eat it (ie not out of a bowl)
as says on label: per mug =0.4g, per 100ml (as made like they say)=0.2g
Edited by: "brilly" 8th May
BeerDrinker8th May

"fat free" items can have up to 0.5g of fat per 100ml or …"fat free" items can have up to 0.5g of fat per 100ml or 100g.http://labellingtraining.food.gov.uk/module3/overview_3.html

This has 6.5g fat per 100g. 13 times the limit you state.
mrty22 m ago

Yes, but you are not using 100g at a time, you are putting in a teaspoon or so. The 'prepared' bit assumes you are putting it into water rather than eating it.
mrty32 m ago

But when you prepare it according to the recommended instructions, it's 0.2g per 100ml
The concentrate, if you had 100g of it in one portion would have 6.5g of Fat.
When diluted it will have 6.5g of concentrate in 200ml of water.
Giving 3.25g of concentrate in 100ml. That 3.25 has a 6.5% Fat content or 0.2g of Fat.

As 0.2g of fat per 100ml is below teh reporting 0.5g per 100ml. They can claim fat free.
Tic Tacs are advertise as sugar free. They aren't but 1 Tic Tac is classed as a portion, so can be labeled as such.
Jaffa Cakes are VAT free as tehy are cakes not busicuits.

The food industry misleads us all teh time.
mrty2 h, 11 m ago

Ok, I carry coffee and coffee mate aid with a flask of boiling water, so I …Ok, I carry coffee and coffee mate aid with a flask of boiling water, so I can make a hot drink when I want one. Just sat here and read the bump on the back of the coffee mate and it seems that is 'fat free when prepared',yet it has 6.5g of fat per 100g. Now whether this wording means it is fat free when manufactured, or fat free when mixed with water, somehow fat is either appearing from thin air or disappearing into thin air.

33763259-7f4sV.jpg
BeerDrinker2 h, 37 m ago

"fat free" items can have up to 0.5g of fat per 100ml or …"fat free" items can have up to 0.5g of fat per 100ml or 100g.http://labellingtraining.food.gov.uk/module3/overview_3.html

mrty2 h, 11 m ago

BeerDrinker1 h, 39 m ago

But when you prepare it according to the recommended instructions, it's …But when you prepare it according to the recommended instructions, it's 0.2g per 100ml

The "bump" on the back states 0.4g per mug.

(I just wanted to add to the smelling pistakes & typgorpahcial errors in this thread)
fanpages3 m ago

[Image] The "bump" on the back states 0.4g per mug.(I just wanted to add …[Image] The "bump" on the back states 0.4g per mug.(I just wanted to add to the smelling pistakes & typgorpahcial errors in this thread)

I do that in every thread!
Edited by: "Oneday77" 8th May
Oneday772 m ago

I do that in every thread!

You're not the only one doing it in this one though
fanpages7 h, 30 m ago

You're not the only one doing it in this one though

tbf i did try to correct mine with spellcheck but the damn thing doesn't work on the forum
the word 'corrects' but doesn't actually carry over into the post
Depending on either you have cake with it or not with all the Anti-Caking Agent in it?.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions