Coffee Pods: Lavazza or Nespresso or Others

Posted 1st Jul
Hey all,
I wanted to know your opinion on whether you prefer Lavazza's A Modo Mio coffee capsules, or Nespresso's Pods.
Also, which flavours do you prefer from them and why?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
Open the flood gates for the coffee snobs to tell you that you want a bean to cup instead
ding01/07/2020 10:54

Open the flood gates for the coffee snobs to tell you that you want a bean …Open the flood gates for the coffee snobs to tell you that you want a bean to cup instead

Would love to get bean-cup, if I had the time/money/patience to make sure everything is just right.
Maybe those same snobs can help pour the coffee for me too haha
Be aware of the environmental impact, nespresso offer a recycling program. I’ve got a nespresso and really like the coffee, they do a subscription where you pay £1 for the machine and a set amount a month that you get to spend on coffee, lasts for 2 years after you finish the subscription too, so if your going to drink a reasonable amount it’s definitely worth doing
iang00701/07/2020 11:04

Be aware of the environmental impact, nespresso offer a recycling program. …Be aware of the environmental impact, nespresso offer a recycling program. I’ve got a nespresso and really like the coffee, they do a subscription where you pay £1 for the machine and a set amount a month that you get to spend on coffee, lasts for 2 years after you finish the subscription too, so if your going to drink a reasonable amount it’s definitely worth doing

Ah that's interesting. I didn't know that.
I know that Lavassa have ECO friendly capsules that I can throw in our compost/food waste bin

I just took a look at Nespresso's subscriptions and unfortunately, I find them a bit expensive for my usage.
Its each to their own. Loads of people will swear by the brand they by.

I have used Lavazza pods for 6 years. Usually buy when Sainsburys or Tescos/ Waitrose have 3 boxes for £10. I've been totally happy with them. Always flavorsome.

Before buying my machine I visited John Lewis where they had an extanesive display of the various manufacturers / makes and models of coffee pod machine. They then let me test the coffee from 3 or 4 different makes. The best coffee in my view was the Lavazza, so I bought the machine

Until last year I used the Passionale (red box and a reasonably strong brew) but on medical advice had to stop all caffeine intake so I changed to their decaff (blue box). I expected a 'weak' excise for coffee but to be honest the decaff is almost as stromng and its just as flavorsome as the 'normal' coffee.

In February I was on holiday and the hotel had Nespresso machines in every room. They included 4 different pods including decaff. Winner winner chicken dinner i thought. But how wrong was I! The decaff was like dishwater. So I had to go without my coffee for the whole week.

Also my daughter has Nespresso but buys the cheaper Aldi clone pods for her machine. She likes the coffee it produces but to my tastebuds it is far inferior to the Lavazza pods I use.

So personally, from my experience, I would never buy anything other than Lavazza.

Before you buy I suggest you try the coffees (maybe at John Lewis or at friends or family?) You could be making a BIG mistake if you just buy based on others 'reviews' or recommendations.
Corkscrew01/07/2020 10:58

Would love to get bean-cup, if I had the time/money/patience to make sure …Would love to get bean-cup, if I had the time/money/patience to make sure everything is just right. Maybe those same snobs can help pour the coffee for me too haha

There is no extra time or patience needed with a bean to cup machine compared to a pod machine. Put beans in the top and select the type/size/strength of coffee you want. Then compost the coffee grinds. Same as a pod machine, the machine does all the work.
Biggest difference is that the machine will cost you more (around £300 for bean-to-cup) but the ongoing cost is a lot lower. For me I think bean-to-cup works out about 4p a cup, Nespresso branded pods are something like 30p each.
The quality of coffee is not significantly different really, I don't think using bean to cup makes anyone more of a snob than using pods, they both produce very similar results.

As suggested above, maybe go and taste several options.
Edited by: "jon81uk" 1st Jul
Ah...were it so easy. Personal opinions are just that...personal. The only way to really find out is to find out for yourself. Try as many options as you can and see what you like. Be aware that you are now entering the rabbit hole - good luck
I've had Tassimo and now own a Nespresso machine. The Nespresso is far better. I found the Tassimo coffee to be more expensive and it often tasted syrupy and artificial compared to ground coffee from a cafetière. The other issue with Tassimo was cleaning. The machine was hard to keep clean and the nozzle in particular often retained dregs from the last use.

The Nespresso machine I bought (Krupps brand) is far better in every way and the coffee, with a few exceptions, tastes pretty much as you'd expect using ground coffee.

The Nespresso branded pods are great and there are some amazing flavours. The machine came with a box of 100 assorted flavours and most of them were nice, although the weaker blends were too weak for me.

Lidl's own brand are right up there taste-wise and are extremely cheap.

L'Or, I don't like at all. I have tried three different flavours from their range and didn't like any.

I have only tried Sainsbury's own brand Guatemalan, which was horrible, and their decaf has no flavour to speak of.

Costa Columbian and Brazilian blends are quite good too.

I'm still trying others as I find them and am very happy with the machine, coffee variety and prices.

I haven't ever used one of the Lavazza machines and so can't compare to my experiences mentioned above.
With a Nespresso machine, you do have the alternative of using (often cheaper) compatible pods from the supermarket - not sure if you have that option with Lavazza machines?
MondayMonday01/07/2020 13:18

With a Nespresso machine, you do have the alternative of using (often …With a Nespresso machine, you do have the alternative of using (often cheaper) compatible pods from the supermarket - not sure if you have that option with Lavazza machines?

I think they do make them for Lavazza but you can't find it in regular stores supermarkets
Currently Lavazza do a great subscription service. Pay a £1 for the machine and then just the normal retail cost of the capsules.
The price they charge is the same price as buying off Tesco/Amazon.
Of course you need to buy in bulk, so for a light coffee drinker like me it would be:
£44 = 160 capsules every 3 months.
You need to make 9 of these payments in total.

Free delivery as well so, you aren't losing out on any money whatsoever
I ended up going for the Lavazza Desea machine. I'll post a review in a few days
MondayMonday01/07/2020 13:18

With a Nespresso machine, you do have the alternative of using (often …With a Nespresso machine, you do have the alternative of using (often cheaper) compatible pods from the supermarket - not sure if you have that option with Lavazza machines?

Only on the older style Nesprosse machines. I don't believe you get compatibles for the Vertuo machines.
Post a comment
@
    Text