Cohabitation agreement

Posted 1st Sep 2020
Hi, looking to find out information on the cheapest and reliable place for a cohabitation agreement, not looking for a DIY one but one legally drafted.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
Do you have a shared mortgage or is it in one name?

common law manage is a myth
Finding a solicitor is not that much different than finding a plumber. Go here
lawsociety.org.uk/pub…or/
scroll down, tap in your postcode and the area of law you are interested in - this would be family law
Then ring round a few to see if they offer such a service and likely cost.
Remember if you need to visit a solicitor you are entitled to a half hour for free, during which time you are trying to find out the cost and quality of the service (but they are trying to find out how much they can charge you and your ability to pay!)

You also may find this page useful
citizensadvice.org.uk/fam…es/
Get a will while you're at it. Don't assume your "wife" would be entitled to anything by default upon your death.
Thank you for all the links, very helpful :-).
Also take the point about a will but at this stage a cohab agreement is plenty.
Wadda01/09/2020 20:28

Do you have a shared mortgage or is it in one name?common law manage is a …Do you have a shared mortgage or is it in one name?common law manage is a myth

It’s my property in my name and sole name on the mortgage. She would have no interest in the propriety but does want to contribute to bills etc...
indywooda15/09/2020 21:25

It’s my property in my name and sole name on the mortgage. She would have n …It’s my property in my name and sole name on the mortgage. She would have no interest in the propriety but does want to contribute to bills etc...

Don’t let her buy anything that can’t be removed from the property.
Wadda15/09/2020 23:45

Don’t let her buy anything that can’t be removed from the property.

That’s good advice thanks, I have read similar elsewhere. I think contribution to all standing and variable bills other than mortgage and insurances looks the way forward I.e. council tax / utilities / broadband / tv license. And I have also read it’s fine if they pay more for the entertainment and food etc.... as ultimately she will be at least £600-800 per month better off due to no lodging costs
Post a comment
@
    Text