Coincidence - I think not.

Found 14th Dec 2009
I placed an order with camerabox paying with my credit card (which I use once every few months or so). Goods arrive four days later than promised meaning I didn't really need them. That;s my first grumble.

Second serious grumble: Now four more days later, I get a call from the bank concerned about my sudden increase in credit card use! Apparently I want to send a lot of money via Western Union.

I am involved with computer security and am careful about online banking and online purchases.

Im interested if other people have suspected camerabox of having a leak or something.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
19 Comments

I used them, also had delayed delivery but no problems with my credit card security.

It happens so much around Christmas especially.

Banned

dunno but it seems its a 1 woman operation.......

Domain name:
camerabox.co.uk

Registrant:
Alicia Butler

Registrant type:
UK Individual

Registrant's address:
Garden Cottage
36 Cowper Road
Boxmoor
Hemel Hempstead
Herts
HP1 1PE
United Kingdom

Registrar:
Fasthosts Internet Ltd [Tag = FASTHOSTS]
URL: fasthosts.co.uk

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 09-Feb-2004
Renewal date: 09-Feb-2010
Last updated: 11-Jan-2008

Registration status:
Registered until renewal date.

Name servers:
ns1.livedns.co.uk 213.171.192.250
ns2.livedns.co.uk 213.171.193.250

Disclaimer
WHOIS lookup made at 21:24:44 14-Dec-2009

Banned

not saying anything is wrong with how the indivdual runs her company she is probably pretty professional but im guessing sites like these can be easily hacked into from the unscrupulous scammers around the world....... exposing cc details

i would possibly get in touch with her and explain the situation and advise her it could possibly be her site although i wouldnt start accusing anyone:)

Original Poster

gari189;7225282

Did you make a thread on the avforums about them? if not then someone … Did you make a thread on the avforums about them? if not then someone else is having problems....http://www.avforums.com/forums/digital-photography-general-chat/1139198-camerabox-co-uk-credit-card-fraud.htmland here http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/camerabox-c269614.html

that is a very interesting read, that dates seem to coincide with my troubles. something is a miss with camerabox - im cautious about ever using them again which is a shame given that that prices can be very good

you lot are ace we just ordered from this company and now will keep our eye on our credit card transactions thanks for the heads up

Original Poster

tinkerbell28;7225286

Why do people "name" retailers so quickly and presume it's the last … Why do people "name" retailers so quickly and presume it's the last retailer they used, unfounded allegation, usually when this happened to me the banks said it can besomemonths from harvesting to detials to use. Check your pc.In before shopto, CPW,Play.

because it it was either camerabox or thames water, they are the only two companies who have ever used this card. i know who i trust more and the coincidence happening so soon after using camerabox is uncanny.

in truth their service isn't great, but they did deliver the product in the end - so i am content

ascen;7225509

because it it was either camerabox or thames water, they are the only two … because it it was either camerabox or thames water, they are the only two companies who have ever used this card. i know who i trust more and the coincidence happening so soon after using camerabox is uncanny.in truth their service isn't great, but they did deliver the product in the end - so i am content

hmmm Thames Water you say :thinking: you may have found your leak

Banned

michala100;7225507

you lot are ace we just ordered from this company and now will keep our … you lot are ace we just ordered from this company and now will keep our eye on our credit card transactions thanks for the heads up

wouldnt worry too much tbh as the cc companies are pretty pro active these days and will check most unusual transactions compared with ur ususal transaction history and you will be refunded in full worst case scenario:)

tinkerbell28;7225541

Still an unproven allegation it could be your pc, it always amazes me how … Still an unproven allegation it could be your pc, it always amazes me how quick people are to alledge and accuse in writing for the whole www to see when it could be something else.

Perhaps, however he is creating/raising awareness for anyone else who happens to use the retailer - If there is a problem with the security, surely it is better to identify as soon as possible? The more who can verify it is a particular site, the better really.

If it is not the site, then I would say it would be soon discovered. The OP is merely putting 2 and 2 together, coming with the most logical explanation for his problem (yes it could be his own fault).

It is *so much easier* to make gullible internet users install software which key-logs and sends information to a third party than it is to hack into a secure money-serving site...
Just saying... ;-)

Original Poster

tinkerbell28;7225541

Still an unproven allegation it could be your pc, it always amazes me how … Still an unproven allegation it could be your pc, it always amazes me how quick people are to alledge and accuse in writing for the whole www to see when it could be something else.

i dont think so, i have already checked it, and as i said "i am involved in computer security" professionally and ill leave it at that.

did anyone else go to bruce schneiers talk last week?

i never alleged that camerabox is intentionally leaking cc details, but something is definitely up given the large number of comments especially of recent in the two links that gari189 posted... evidence seems to be a bit damming

Their site uses sagepay / protx to handle payments (a seperate website) - so camerabox don't even get to see the credit card numbers - as for the WHOIS lookup you just did - you will find that is the address of the people that made the website - not the business owner.

I however after a bit of googling found this :- http:/********/7fzKgh
I'm a bit disgruntled myself as I made an order on the 10th and it still hasnt turned up. Rather than ask for a refund (well they arent even answering the phone or emails) I think i'm just going to call my credit card supplier to do a chargeback.

FYI - from the link i posted earlier:-

Address: Unit D, Station Yard, Thame OX9 3UH
Tel: 01844 215132
Fax: 01844 214568 Contact Person: Craig Michael (sales Director)

Banned

camerabuyer;7229782

Their site uses sagepay / protx to handle payments (a seperate website) - … Their site uses sagepay / protx to handle payments (a seperate website) - so camerabox don't even get to see the credit card numbers - as for the WHOIS lookup you just did - you will find that is the address of the people that made the website - not the business owner.I however after a bit of googling found this :- http:/********/7fzKgh I'm a bit disgruntled myself as I made an order on the 10th and it still hasnt turned up. Rather than ask for a refund (well they arent even answering the phone or emails) I think i'm just going to call my credit card supplier to do a chargeback.

he is correct on the whois info.....

tingleweb.co.uk/con…tml

Original Poster

from the receipt of my recent order it is from: [url]www.digitalfirst.co.uk[/url] - i think camerabox is just a subsidary

Managed to cancel the order - now just going with amazon at £20 quid more expensive including "next day by 1pm delivery" and my hair intact..... The few quid off at box-shifters just doesn't justify the hassle.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Holiday discount centre is a scam34
    2. Camera33
    3. Can I giveaway film digital codes on here?22
    4. Anyone know if amazon will be having any prime membership discounts in the …77

See more discussions