Cold bathrooms insulation/heating

Posted 16th Nov
Hi, I'm looking for advice on insulating/heating a cold bathroom. The radiator is small but the windows are big and drafty. It's an old building so any ideas would be appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
From what I know, there isn't really much you can do without ripping out the whole room otherwise you'd lose space.
renew window
if not possible reseal window (inside and out) and i'm sure you can get some kind of tape stuff to put around the glass if there's a gap between glass and frame (can't remember what it's called)
install bigger/newer radiator
rip out bathroom + gyproc - put insulation in ceiling + walls, renew gyproc
install underfloor heating
put plywood down on floor
Edited by: "Cloeeez" 16th Nov
Would a double thickness radiator help / fit
Is there loft insulation above the bathroom
Does the draught come through the extractor
You could add a bigger radiator or extra heating but you would be wasting money. try a thermal blind or secondary glazing to block the cold.

Is the bathroom upstairs?. can you access the loft to fit more insulation.

google.com/sea…ind

google.com/sea…IqI
Edited by: "markvirgo" 16th Nov
esar16/11/2019 21:23

Would a double thickness radiator help / fitIs there loft insulation above …Would a double thickness radiator help / fitIs there loft insulation above the bathroomDoes the draught come through the extractor

You guessed it! The windows have a non-electric extractor fan but worst still is the ventilator window with plastic slats.

Not much space to change the radiator. Would underfloor heating be a good idea? Need to replace the floor anyway.
chance18916/11/2019 21:58

You guessed it! The windows have a non-electric extractor fan but worst …You guessed it! The windows have a non-electric extractor fan but worst still is the ventilator window with plastic slats.Not much space to change the radiator. Would underfloor heating be a good idea? Need to replace the floor anyway.

Not sure you or my drift regarding the radiator, their depth is more, but you get double the heat
39008195-MJv2d.jpg
Best bet is replace the window glass for full glass.
Then have an electric extractor fitted with an internal Iris like the Airflow Icon range of fans.

Don't add heat to a drafty room. You're only wasting money.

As an aside, is it a radiator or towel rail? Towel rails are terrible suppliers of heat.
esar16/11/2019 23:54

Not sure you or my drift regarding the radiator, their depth is more, but …Not sure you or my drift regarding the radiator, their depth is more, but you get double the heat[Image]

Thanks for clarifying. Think I have similar. It's about 20cm thick but wasted below a 2m window
Oneday7716/11/2019 23:59

Best bet is replace the window glass for full glass.Then have an electric …Best bet is replace the window glass for full glass.Then have an electric extractor fitted with an internal Iris like the Airflow Icon range of fans.Don't add heat to a drafty room. You're only wasting money.As an aside, is it a radiator or towel rail? Towel rails are terrible suppliers of heat.

Thanks for the tip. It's a normal radiator.
Edited by: "chance189" 17th Nov
Cheap and ideas:

Heated towel rack- Lidl are selling a floor standing one for £29.

If the window opens get rid of the extractor fan, silicone the vents shut and the get a peice of triple walled Polycarbonate sheet cut to size and glue it to the outside of the glass.
chance18917/11/2019 00:25

Thanks for clarifying. Think I have similar. It's about 20cm thick but …Thanks for clarifying. Think I have similar. It's about 20cm thick but wasted below a 2m window

20cm depth! Really? Got a pic of it?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions