Groups

cold tap not working - help to repair?

hey all, my cold tap on my bath wont work, been told its prob just a washer, called the HA out but after 3 days of waiting im fed up, can anyone give me step by step instructions of how to fix? is it a generic washer bought from a DIY store?

i dont have a clue

50 Comments

oh dear... now you have to have a hot bath!

Original Poster

emhaslam;5456880

oh dear... now you have to have a hot bath!

i like my bath hot but not that hot! - have been using a bucket lmao

loupomm;5456890

i like my bath hot but not that hot! - have been using a bucket lmao

in the mean time couldnt you just fill it up, then leave it to cool until it reaches the optimum temperature?

Original Poster

emhaslam;5456913

in the mean time couldnt you just fill it up, then leave it to cool until … in the mean time couldnt you just fill it up, then leave it to cool until it reaches the optimum temperature?

could do, the bucket from the sink ot bath is quicker with 4 of us to get bathed, its not an emergency prob, just a pain in the backside

How can a washer prevent water coming out of a tap, thought changing the old washer stops them drip drip dripping

Banned

turn your hot water therm down, wont fix it but will mean your water wont need cold water adding

Original Poster

djstrobe4real;5456956

How can a washer prevent water coming out of a tap, thought changing the … How can a washer prevent water coming out of a tap, thought changing the old washer stops them drip drip dripping

really? thats just what i was told :? so what could it be then?

loupomm;5456991

really? thats just what i was told :? so what could it be then?

No idea but my parents cold tap has stopped working too, changing the washer wont repair this (ive tried lol). Ill be watching this thread to see if someone finds a solution :thumbsup:

Original Poster

sassie;5456990

turn your hot water therm down, wont fix it but will mean your water wont … turn your hot water therm down, wont fix it but will mean your water wont need cold water adding

good idea ta

go buy a complete new tap head from b&q for a couple of quid ....think there called tap revivers or summat(ask staff).......its probably easier

I doubt it's the washer.

pistol6000;5457114

go buy a complete new tap head from b&q for a couple of quid ....think … go buy a complete new tap head from b&q for a couple of quid ....think there called tap revivers or summat(ask staff).......its probably easier

Tap head, or a tap?

Original Poster

:cry:

thesaint;5457128

I doubt it's the washer.Tap head, or a tap?

sorry wasnt very clear lol.....tap reviving kit is basically the inside mechanism i.e. the brass bits that hold the washer etc

pistol6000;5457206

sorry wasnt very clear lol.....tap reviving kit is basically the inside … sorry wasnt very clear lol.....tap reviving kit is basically the inside mechanism i.e. the brass bits that hold the washer etc

Oh, They're called tap glands. This will probably do the trick, but depending on how hard it is to access the nut on the tap(Which can be really hard), it can be easier to replace the tap.

They cost ~£10 for a cheap one.

"Get a bloke in" is my advice.

That's what I would sugeest too I think it sounds beyond a washer, I would just replace the whole tap...not too expensive.

Original Poster

thesaint;5457282

Oh, They're called tap glands. This will probably do the trick, but … Oh, They're called tap glands. This will probably do the trick, but depending on how hard it is to access the nut on the tap(Which can be really hard), it can be easier to replace the tap. They cost ~£10 for a cheap one."[COLOR="Magenta"]Get a bloke in[/COLOR]" is my advice.

ive tried :oops: will try b&q tomorrow

tho i suspect a whole tap is harder than a washer :?

Make sure you turn the cold supply off before messing with the tap.

Is the tap itself turning but no water coming out?

starsparkle2311;5456907

it'll just be a normal washer, but you'll need a special spanner thing to … it'll just be a normal washer, but you'll need a special spanner thing to change itnot that I've done it myself, but I'm sure an expert member will be along in this thread soon to help you:thumbsup:

theres no such thing as a normal washer there are loads of different tap washers

Original Poster

jtx;5458341

Is the tap itself turning but no water coming out?

yes it turns but no water, it was tempermental for ages would dribble one day, full on the next, then just stopped altogether

gari189;5458722

Depends on the tap - I had one tap that wouldn't come on because the … Depends on the tap - I had one tap that wouldn't come on because the washer got stuck....Try herehttp://www.diynot.com/pages/pl/ http://www.diynot.com/pages/pl/pl025.php

thank you :-D

jamstaruk1972;5458751

theres no such thing as a normal washer there are loads of different tap … theres no such thing as a normal washer there are loads of different tap washers

Yeah but no but...

They are still normal washers:p

Banned

if you got any sense you will not try this yourself, it is the housing association to sort this, phone them back up and tell them this is unaccetable, check your tenancy agreement for times on repairs

Original Poster

starsparkle2311;5458946

lol:pby the time loupomm gets an actual informative answer on here, the … lol:pby the time loupomm gets an actual informative answer on here, the HA will have been around:whistling:

im keeping everything crossed, but i finished work early 2 days running and theyve been a no show, im not a happy tennant :roll:

I have a similar problem with the hot tap in my sink, when i turn it on water just dribbles out, it only turns half a turn or so, it's enough water to use, just.

Worth chnging the washer to see if it helps?

After watching that video i feel confident i could do it now

Original Poster

i dont have any sense! :lol:

hmmm i will ring them from work in the morning and try them again, i want a shower! cant do that with a bucket!

Banned

housing association are supposed to give you a day for the work to be carried out, again check your tenancy agreement, if you try to do it yourself and you can't then you will have no water as you will have to keep it off at the mains

Original Poster

they did, i was told ysterday or today after 1pm called them at 5 tonight but was told out of hours switched over, emergency only and to call in morning, i will try again tomorrow

just frustrating when theres stuff thats prob so simple and i cant do it

starsparkle2311;5456907

it'll just be a normal washer, but you'll need a special spanner thing to … it'll just be a normal washer, but you'll need a special spanner thing to change itnot that I've done it myself, but I'm sure an expert member will be along in this thread soon to help you:thumbsup:

[QUOTE

HUKD member advice=gotta love it:thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

yeah gotta love it 2 pieces of advice you gave and both wrong i posted so op didnt run off to diy store and buy "a normal washer" and a "special spanner" that they dont need

Does the tap just turn non stop? If so unscrew the top of the hot one and put it over the cold?

It's a long shot but the thread might be worn on the top of the tap, happened to me once:|

Probably not the answer though:whistling:

Original Poster

no it turns on n off like it always did, but no water comes out

Banned

i dont know if you have young children but thought ide mension it incase, but you havent got a valve shut off on the pipe have you and one of the children have been messing?

loupomm;5459375

no it turns on n off like it always did, but no water comes out

You paid the bill, right? They always start with the bathroom.......

Original Poster

no my youngest is 9, and its been dodgy for a while, on and off, will deffo call HA again tomorrow, with my angry voice on lol

Banned

loupomm;5459421

no my youngest is 9, and its been dodgy for a while, on and off, will … no my youngest is 9, and its been dodgy for a while, on and off, will deffo call HA again tomorrow, with my angry voice on lol

oh good, i thought they where older but thought worth a mention incase

it COULD be a number of things most likely the valve has worn away and stuck ,thats what stops your tap from running constantly. tho it could be a pipe blocked

Banned

is your sink cold water pipe before the bath cold water pipe or after it, if that makes sense, and does you sink cold water work ok

Original Poster

every other tap works fine, not sure their order, called HA,i was on the work sheet, they dont know how but i slipped through the net, waiting for someone to call me back to re-book :roll:

in the meantime cant you get one of them bung on the tap things and a lenght of garden hose and use the sink cold to fill up the bath
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Year's Supply of Tea, a Coffee Hamper & a Coffee Machine11
      2. Win a Mazona Olympus 8kW multi-fuel stove @ Gr8 Fires33
      3. Jazz apple slicer for the price of a stamp33
      4. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains55

See more discussions