Cold votes, forcing a user to enter a reason - discuss

Found 22nd Mar
If Hotukdeals forced everyone to put in a reason every time they voted cold, do you think that would be a good idea? bad idea?

What do you think?
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
Top comments
I already do. In the comments.
Do you want users that vote a deal hot to justify it too? If not then it's not a fair system.
23 Comments
Waste of time and effort. I hardly ever vote cold unless the deal is really bad value.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 22nd Mar
Do you want users that vote a deal hot to justify it too? If not then it's not a fair system.
Bad idea, HUKD is already full of negativity, don’t want to make it worse
I already do. In the comments.
Supermod
From my own personal point of view entirely:

If you ask someone to leave a reason for voting cold but not hot, how many people are going to go to the effort to leave that comment? So if that mechanism stops people voting I think you could have a situation where mediocre deals potentially become hot and poor deals are tepid because they don't have the balance of the cold votes.

As @MSK. has said, commenting is what we look for. If you're voting cold you should be able to back this up.

We do look at voting and if we believe members are being unfair or targeting deals/members then we'll step in.
It could also lead to tit for tat cold voting. For eg., if a member leaves a comment saying cold for such & such a reason, then the OP may vote that members deals cold in retaliation.
Loads of folk automatically vote hot on certain people’s deals, eg Chanchi. The deals are normally good, sure, but due to the amount of people who vote it looks hotter than the deals next to it even though it isn’t.

What I’m saying is that it’s a completely imperfect system, this isn’t going to be the thing that fixes it. Don’t think anything will fix it. So I just accept it as it is.
Schwifty2 h, 24 m ago

Loads of folk automatically vote hot on certain people’s deals, eg C …Loads of folk automatically vote hot on certain people’s deals, eg Chanchi. The deals are normally good, sure, but due to the amount of people who vote it looks hotter than the deals next to it even though it isn’t.What I’m saying is that it’s a completely imperfect system, this isn’t going to be the thing that fixes it. Don’t think anything will fix it. So I just accept it as it is.

I think you are absolutely right about people automatically voting certain people's deals hot, I think it would be a good idea to have the deal poster remain anonymous for the first 12 hours as we may get a better idea as to the genuine heat of the deal rather than a fan club vote!
When people and entities like companies get entrenched in an idea, development path, what they consider a paradigm etc it is nearly impossible to change.

Good idea though, ain’t ever gonna happen.

Dyslexic_Dog51 m ago

I think you are absolutely right about people automatically voting certain …I think you are absolutely right about people automatically voting certain people's deals hot, I think it would be a good idea to have the deal poster remain anonymous for the first 12 hours as we may get a better idea as to the genuine heat of the deal rather than a fan club vote!

magicjay19865 h, 35 m ago

From my own personal point of view entirely: If you ask someone to leave a …From my own personal point of view entirely: If you ask someone to leave a reason for voting cold but not hot, how many people are going to go to the effort to leave that comment? So if that mechanism stops people voting I think you could have a situation where mediocre deals potentially become hot and poor deals are tepid because they don't have the balance of the cold votes. As @MSK. has said, commenting is what we look for. If you're voting cold you should be able to back this up. We do look at voting and if we believe members are being unfair or targeting deals/members then we'll step in.

Can you say that again in English?
kay199210 m ago

You realise you're insulting your own ability to read rather than MJ's ability to write, don't you?
Dyslexic_Dog2 h, 43 m ago

I think you are absolutely right about people automatically voting certain …I think you are absolutely right about people automatically voting certain people's deals hot, I think it would be a good idea to have the deal poster remain anonymous for the first 12 hours as we may get a better idea as to the genuine heat of the deal rather than a fan club vote!

I was just noticing the other day the deals of a certain member that seems to be part of the HUKD clique are all super hot (like above 500 degrees consistently) and they're for example average groceries deals or stuff that if it was posted by any less known user wouldn't go so hot most likely.
Edited by: "hearts22" 22nd Mar
kay19922 h, 4 m ago

Translation: Medicore "Deals" can go hot if the site's staff vote on them.
Original Poster
SJHan14 h, 49 m ago

Do you want users that vote a deal hot to justify it too? If not then it's …Do you want users that vote a deal hot to justify it too? If not then it's not a fair system.

No, if it's a good deal then it should be voted hot, why the need to justify?

It's just that there are some deals that I've voted hot on that were sub zero, but there was no way to tell why it was sub zero because nobody said anything. It could be that there was a better deal elsewhere, or that person just thought it wasn't great value for money compared to other similar products, or something else.
We'll never know.
@Bigfootpete
Can I just jump onto this debate?
I also think that in the ask and misc sections there is a ‘like’ button for comments added, however I think there should also be a ‘dislike’ button.
Toptrumpet16 m ago

@Bigfootpete Can I just jump onto this debate?I also think that in the ask …@Bigfootpete Can I just jump onto this debate?I also think that in the ask and misc sections there is a ‘like’ button for comments added, however I think there should also be a ‘dislike’ button.

There used to be a downvote button in Ask and it was routinely abused. The same would happen with a dislike button IMO.
Edited by: "RossD89" 23rd Mar
I am voting cold on your idea!
magicjay198621 h, 13 m ago

From my own personal point of view entirely: If you ask someone to leave a …From my own personal point of view entirely: If you ask someone to leave a reason for voting cold but not hot, how many people are going to go to the effort to leave that comment? So if that mechanism stops people voting I think you could have a situation where mediocre deals potentially become hot and poor deals are tepid because they don't have the balance of the cold votes. As @MSK. has said, commenting is what we look for. If you're voting cold you should be able to back this up. We do look at voting and if we believe members are being unfair or targeting deals/members then we'll step in.

So if I don't like the cheap Chinese deals, then I have to say so before voting cold?
Cold, as you might or might not get the item. Cold as if it's faulty or breaks you have no chance of getting this rectified/refunded.
Original Poster
gcmarcal19 h, 52 m ago

I am voting cold on your idea!

It's a discussion, I'm not asking for it to happen...
Supermod
FreeDeal23rd Mar

So if I don't like the cheap Chinese deals, then I have to say so before …So if I don't like the cheap Chinese deals, then I have to say so before voting cold?Cold, as you might or might not get the item. Cold as if it's faulty or breaks you have no chance of getting this rectified/refunded.

If you personally feel your reasoning constitutes a cold vote then yes as long as you're respecting site rules.

Personally though if I don't care for a merchant/category/business model or have anything to add I don't think i'd spend time voting on it.
FreeDeal23rd Mar

So if I don't like the cheap Chinese deals, then I have to say so before …So if I don't like the cheap Chinese deals, then I have to say so before voting cold?Cold, as you might or might not get the item. Cold as if it's faulty or breaks you have no chance of getting this rectified/refunded.

Would you pay a little extra for insurance to have the item fixed or repaired in the UK if it breaks?
Anonymity of a user when posting deals for the first 12 hours is a great idea and would stop biased deal voting, where the deal would be voted only on it's merits and not because of being part of a HUKD clique or having a bad reputation in the HUKD community. So many deals I've seen obtaining mega heat because it was posted by a member of the clique, and so many great deals I've seen voted cold because of a user's reputation or just voted cold randomly without clear reasoning. Of course there would never be a perfect solution amongst the massive HUKD community as even with the option of anonymity, certain details of a deal (eg the type of deal, the way it is presented and typed (for example I personally was known in the community last year for posting KFC Colonel's Club and WWE Network deals regularly) etc) can be used to identify a user and lead to bias, but anonymity should be at least trialled for a brief period to observe the behaviour of the community before making a final decision.
hass1237 h, 52 m ago

Anonymity of a user when posting deals for the first 12 hours is a great …Anonymity of a user when posting deals for the first 12 hours is a great idea and would stop biased deal voting, where the deal would be voted only on it's merits and not because of being part of a HUKD clique or having a bad reputation in the HUKD community. So many deals I've seen obtaining mega heat because it was posted by a member of the clique, and so many great deals I've seen voted cold because of a user's reputation or just voted cold randomly without clear reasoning. Of course there would never be a perfect solution amongst the massive HUKD community as even with the option of anonymity, certain details of a deal (eg the type of deal, the way it is presented and typed (for example I personally was known in the community last year for posting KFC Colonel's Club and WWE Network deals regularly) etc) can be used to identify a user and lead to bias, but anonymity should be at least trialled for a brief period to observe the behaviour of the community before making a final decision.

I'm sure there's a herd mentality on some deals posted, there are definitely dedicated cold voters that I'm sure vote cold on almost everything unless it's something very specifically of interest to them. I'm also sure a few negative votes in quick succession or hot votes skews results disproportionately and then it seems to flow out of control sometimes. There's certainly some formula the steps up / down the votes in a non linear way - something like first 5 hot votes adds +20 then next +5 adds 40 and so on. I'm not sure if a member's status has any bearing on their vote 'strength'
Edited by: "spannerzone" 27th Mar
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions