Cold voting.

Posted 15th Dec 2019
It’s very strange that some people will vote cold on a deal that is so clearly a deal. I mean, fair enough if you don’t want it and therefore wouldn’t buy it so it’s not a deal for you - so don’t vote.

But a deal is where something is being sold at under market price and a bargain... that doesn’t deserve to be voted cold.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Many hot deals get hotter thanks to a herd mentality. Same with cold.
23 Comments
Goes with the territory I'm afraid. The votes come from people. And 'people' will be people!

Also, I know others have said it before but there's more to a "deal" than just being under market value or a "bargain." A cheap turd, wrapped it glitter is not a bargain...
....then there are also people who vote hot on deals which clearly are not. Net effect is it's just not worth the effort of browsing through the 'hot' deals.

I think everything I've bought this year from here has been something which popped up as result of a custom alert notification.
Edited by: "spoo" 15th Dec 2019
Some people vote cold based on retailers, such as if they have been lied to by customer service
Phsycronix15/12/2019 14:06

Goes with the territory I'm afraid. The votes come from people. And …Goes with the territory I'm afraid. The votes come from people. And 'people' will be people!Also, I know others have said it before but there's more to a "deal" than just being under market value or a "bargain." A cheap turd, wrapped it glitter is not a bargain...

Yeah I get that - if it’s a rubbish product etc..but if it’s a quality product that’s usually worth the market price and say a deal is it at half price from a reputable seller then I don’t get it.
Many hot deals get hotter thanks to a herd mentality. Same with cold.
bluep15/12/2019 14:47

Yeah I get that - if it’s a rubbish product etc..but if it’s a quality pro …Yeah I get that - if it’s a rubbish product etc..but if it’s a quality product that’s usually worth the market price and say a deal is it at half price from a reputable seller then I don’t get it.

Too many variables in play. As I say, people will be people. Take the voting with a pinch of salt if you're a buyer. Take it as a baptism of fire if you're the one posting the deal. As said:

It might be the product they don't like
It might be a brand they despise
It might be a company that's done them wrong; as Felicitous says
It might be the "buddy" system. I'll vote your deals 'up' if you do the same
It might be YOU/ME they don't like (Hehe. Seriously, it's a variable)

Prime example are movies. It might be a film someone hates but it's cheap as chips. However, they HATE the movie so even though it's a deal - they wouldn't have it if it was free. So - they vote "Cold." We know the correct thing to do is not vote at all but; hey; people will be people!
You said, "It’s very strange that some people will vote cold on a deal that is so clearly a deal...."

As years go by, your "very strange" could very likely become a "norm". That's how people are collectively, it is called a normal distribution or some other curves with very strangeness on the extremes.

More to the point, it is about you, with 50 deals posted, you would have got used to the patterns of voting behaviour for yours and others' deals. These patterns inform you of the mentality and social behaviour..etc., should be increasingly so after 100, 150...deals.
Edited by: "splender" 15th Dec 2019
The site now has to have the cheapest prices on it or the mods delete it, this should mean everything on here gets hot but fir the reasons above they simply don’t. Just do what many now do just look at new deals and if it’s something you want then buy it, ignore the others.
I thought HUKD uses an algorithm where incremental votes increase / decrease exponentially in a non linear manner, eg first few hot votes adds 5 points for each vote, next 5 hot votes add 6 points per vote, next 5 adds 10 points per vote and so on...

I'm sure this weighted system has been talked by mods in the past.

There's also the herd mentality as mentioned above and the 'drive by cold voters' that I reckon do nothing but vote cold on as many deals as possible, just a theory but I reckon they're out there.
Edited by: "spannerzone" 15th Dec 2019
spannerzone15/12/2019 16:18

I thought HUKD uses an algorithm where incremental votes increase / …I thought HUKD uses an algorithm where incremental votes increase / decrease exponentially in a non linear manner, eg first few hot votes adds 5 points for each vote, next 5 hot votes add 6 points per vote, next 5 adds 10 points per vote and so on...I'm sure this weighted system has been talked by mods in the past.There's also the herd mentality as mentioned above and the 'drive by cold voters' that I reckon do nothing but vote cold on as many deals as possible, just a theory but I reckon they're out there.

I think HUKD has a graded system for votes for each member. For example, on a brand new post, my vote seems to get 4-6 votes depending on the category posted.
At this time of year you are almost certain to get a deal voted hot if it has something to do with those flaming deer. People seem to think they'll win by voting every piece of tat hot.
Phsycronix15/12/2019 15:04

Too many variables in play. As I say, people will be people. Take the …Too many variables in play. As I say, people will be people. Take the voting with a pinch of salt if you're a buyer. Take it as a baptism of fire if you're the one posting the deal. As said:It might be the product they don't likeIt might be a brand they despiseIt might be a company that's done them wrong; as Felicitous saysIt might be the "buddy" system. I'll vote your deals 'up' if you do the sameIt might be YOU/ME they don't like (Hehe. Seriously, it's a variable)Prime example are movies. It might be a film someone hates but it's cheap as chips. However, they HATE the movie so even though it's a deal - they wouldn't have it if it was free. So - they vote "Cold." We know the correct thing to do is not vote at all but; hey; people will be people!

A similar summary of mine in a recent thread (of many, many others):

[ hotukdeals.com/com…393 ]

39385083-u7Z1G.jpg
Predikuesi15/12/2019 16:58

At this time of year you are almost certain to get a deal voted hot if it …At this time of year you are almost certain to get a deal voted hot if it has something to do with those flaming deer. People seem to think they'll win by voting every piece of tat hot.

Almost certain anytime of year to get heat if you post chocolate orange for a quid even though all year round they are available for a quid in a number of stores
Predikuesi15/12/2019 16:58

At this time of year you are almost certain to get a deal voted hot if it …At this time of year you are almost certain to get a deal voted hot if it has something to do with those flaming deer. People seem to think they'll win by voting every piece of tat hot.

myusernamehasgone23415/12/2019 17:06

Almost certain anytime of year to get heat if you post chocolate orange …Almost certain anytime of year to get heat if you post chocolate orange for a quid even though all year round they are available for a quid in a number of stores

(Cough)
[ hotukdeals.com/dea…490 ]
fanpages15/12/2019 17:08

(Cough)[ …(Cough)[ https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/70-terrys-chocolate-orange-for-first-time-customers-at-tesco-3361490 ]

I didn’t see that.

Never seen a cold one before and to me that seem like an actually like a proper deal and good price I would have voted 🔥

We should have clubbed together and sent them to the hotukdeals office as a Christmas gift

39385217-611mF.jpg
fanpages15/12/2019 17:08

(Cough)[ …(Cough)[ https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/70-terrys-chocolate-orange-for-first-time-customers-at-tesco-3361490 ]

@eslick did you see this.
myusernamehasgone23415/12/2019 17:15

@eslick did you see this.

Yeah saw it yesterday just using the new user code they could have bought alcohol and got loads of heat.

think that much is even too much for you
I don’t bother with votes, I just set up my keywords for things I’m after and if it’s a price I’m happy with I’ll buy it.

Bargain is subjective.
One of my deals got voted cold when item had only been that low in August. First of, I was a bit like what??? Then it made me laugh, ok, it was Ralph breaks the Internet but my daughter had been on and on about it and at less than £6, thought it was a good deal, obviously no one else did and it still got voted cold a week on meh! If someone les wanted it and bought it that’s all that’s important
myusernamehasgone23415/12/2019 17:06

Almost certain anytime of year to get heat if you post chocolate orange …Almost certain anytime of year to get heat if you post chocolate orange for a quid even though all year round they are available for a quid in a number of stores

[ hotukdeals.com/dea…269 ]
fanpages15/12/2019 21:00

[ …[ https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/terrys-chocolate-orange-milk-chocolate-box-157g-1-at-tesco-3365269 ]

I missed it

39389159-whz39.jpg
Were we treated to yet another £1 chocolate orange
myusernamehasgone23415/12/2019 21:09

I missed it [Image] Were we treated to yet another £1 chocolate orange …I missed it [Image] Were we treated to yet another £1 chocolate orange

Yes indeed we were. Sorry you missed it
fanpages15/12/2019 21:10

Yes indeed we were. Sorry you missed it

sad I missed that.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions